cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to JOIN, but why taking so long? (ID:20374189)

N/A

Sorry for this, but it would seem from examples in this forum that raising gripes here can get a support response, so here goes...

I applied for broadband on 19th Sept.

On 27th Sept (T + 7 days) I got a question posted in the support area (ID: 20374189, in case any support folks can help me!), apologising for the delay, and that there was a "problem with BT".

At first I thought, wow, OK it's not good news, but it is proactive engagement with the customer. Good service, so far.

Then I posted a simple query response asking if I might be able to assist with the BT "issue" - I know that there is a broadband 'hold' on the line from the previous tenant's provider. This is usually removed after 10 days, but the old provider agreed to hurry this along.

Well, no reply, so I posted another the next day just asking for an update to the ticket; anything to suggest this is a viable support tool, since the phone lines with the "every combination except one disconnects you and refers you to the website" IVR hell, and the 1 hour supposed wait for an agent when you do by some miracle chose a valid set of options.

Anyway, here we are nearly a week later still (T + 14 days), and still no update. Still the infuriating little "bt processing" status message, this will take 7-10 days... Is this working days?

Oh, and I spoke to BT today too. Seems the "problem with BT" is nothing they're aware of. The hold is no longer on the line. Unfortunately their system does not show the agent the history, so it may be that it was only removed today. Who knows... I have my fingers crossed that was it and I'll be active by the time I get home... (naïve?)

Thing is, the router's all connected up and I've been monitoring changes to the line speed etc, so I know some config changes are being performed, but the login is not enabled (CHAP authentication failures are always the order of the day). If this is the last hurdle, I'll be most underimpressed if it's stuck in some form of activation processing queue.

Anyway, with loads of people complaining about it taking an age to be allowed to *leave* plus.net, I though it might be refreshing (and hope, selfishly, that it might help me out!) to see that they don't seem to want to replace the customers they're losing.

Apologies to everyone for my rant. I'm a support engineer myself, and I know that being under-resourced is a major headache, but I need to get on with my life as was, being able to work from home etc over broadband. It's amazing how inconvenient it is using a slow GPRS mobile connection. At least I have that I guess.

If anyone can help. Please, do.
16 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Hi there,

I've just replied to your ticket.

It looks like you have an active service on your line with another provider that has prevented us from proceeding with the order.

Have you changed the telephone line into your name? This would initiate a cease of the broadband service and clear it so that we can place the order.

You do need to get the old provider off the line before we can proceed further. Update the ticket I have replied to if/as/when you are able to do this.

Sorry I'm not able to help further.
N/A

OK, here is my reply to the ticket for all to see, and in case the forum is more actively monitored than the support queue ;-) You'll notice I'm re-iterating what I said in the original post, which is that BT say TODAY there is NOTHING on the line to stop connection.

I spoke to BT this morning to confirm there was nothing preventing the installation of broadband on the line. Did they indicate nothing about what it could be? I'll phone them as many times as it takes. Maybe it only came off today. Please recheck, as the information I had today was that it is all clear.

I changed over the registration of the line from the old tenant on Saturday 16th September - BEFORE I ever made any application for broadband to plus.net. Therefore there is a maximum of 10 days for the removal of the previous provider's lock - which I confirmed this morning is not on the line.

What stage are we at now then? Why is it taking this long to find out from BT about "products" on the line? Is it just that you don't check regularly? In which case, assuming (and giving the benefit of the doubt) that there was lock on the line yesterday when you guys checked, and it was only lifted today, how long do I now have to wait to receive service?
Liam
Grafter

Hi Matt,

You've said yourself that you're getting a broadband signal at the moment. If there was nothing on the line, you would not be able to sync or get this signal.

I've just done a pre-order check and it returns exactly the same - and we therefore cannot currently place the order with BT for you.
N/A

So, why was this check not performed earlier? I've been waiting 14 days for the complete end to end process completion and you are telling me you've only just checked the status of the line?

I have spoken again with BT - a more knowledgeable person than last time, it would seem - and it would appear that there is in fact a need for a MAC code to migrate service (I initially claimed to be looking to switch to BT broadband, amazing how the truth comes out if you are a potential customer). So I apologise for this misinformation, but it was direct from the horse's mouth (BT) this morning.

However, assuming this lock was the prompt for the initial communication of delay in my order on Weds last week (5 working days into the order), how is the application for its release going? I ask you as it is apparently the responsibility of the "gaining company" to seek the release of the lock from the previous provider on the line (plus.net being the gaining company). This should take 5 working days (ie. by today), but your response implies this is not in progress, or at least is not being tracked.
Liam
Grafter

BT allowed us to place the original order. That order failed yesterday, due to the service already on the line. I'm assuming this was not correct in their database. As the order has failed, the database has been updated and we can't resubmit until the incompatibility had been arranged.

We cannot get the service off of your line. You will need to arrange this with the current service provider. There is nothing further we can do.
N/A

How can I do this? I have no relationship with them. It's only because I have asked the previous tenenat that I know who they are.

BT have categorically told me that it is your responsibility to go through some form of industry-wide procedure to get this removed.

I note your support site gives OfCom's number to resolve such disputes. Is this the intended as a method of escalation, or is this standard practice at plus.net? BT suggest this should not be necessary.
Liam
Grafter

Right - this is the procedure.

- If it is as simple as just being a 'tag' on the line from a previous supplier - then we can get this removed for you in the majority of cases.

- If, however, there is an active service on the line (which would appear to be the case as you say you're in sync), then we cannot do this and you need to cease the service by contacting the provider. As I said earlier, this cease should happen when you transfer the BT line to yourself from a previous owner.

A colleague of mine is calling BT now to confirm categorically which of these scenarios you are in. If it is just a tag, then this will be removed. We'll see.
Liam
Grafter

Right, we've just spoken to BT.

There is currently an active service on this line with easynet LLU (UKOnline). There is nothing we can do to get this removed. You (or the account holder) need to contact UK Online to cease the service, or escalate the issue to Ofcom (using the number on our Code of Practice).

Until the line is clear we cannot proceed with your order, unfortunately.
N/A

Right you are then. Thank you very much for this clarification. I accept that there is no action you can take at this time and your reasons.

However, I do not feel that without chasing I would have understood the issue in a timely manner.

I will contact OfCom regarding easynet's "line-squatting".

Rgds,

M P Swain MEng(Hons) MIET
N/A

More info... not we wait

Right, so BT Wholesale have now confirmed that the cease order has been initiated by EasynetLLU on 5th October (a bit slow if you ask me!) and should be done by 12th (5 working days).

I've updated the question ticket, so please respond.

Does this mean that once confirmed as complete, I then have to start the entire activation process again, taking 7-10 days? It'll be over a month since my initial order by then!
N/A

Resolve to be more positive

Hi,

The sync signal is now gone from my line so I believe the cease order has been actioned by OpenReach and the EasynetLLU equipment connection is gone. Therefore, plus.net should be able to restart the previously failed connect order.

I appreciate that none of the problems I've experienced up until now have been the fault nor responsibility of plus.net, and therefore retract any negative statement previously made or implied and would like to give plus.net the opportunity to progress the connect order and look forward to experiencing a trouble free and swift connection setup.

If you could update the ticket to let me know it's been initiated, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
MPS
N/A

Have you added a similar note to your ticket?

The Comms team are a little thinner on the ground around here at the minute, so might not see your post here for some time.

A note on your ticket will at least ensure you have as many bases covered as possible!
N/A

Of course. Just wanted to try from both angles, as I've had mixed responsiveness from either channel at one time or another.
gerald
Dabbler

Slow? That's not the word for it!

Slow isn't the word. Anyone would think that Plusnet these days don't want new - or in my case, returning - customers.

They've spent the last seven days just checking my details (I've checked them, they're correct and they worked when I was with Plusnet up until July).

I don't like to moan, but I'm not sure this is the Plusnet I originally joined almost four years ago...