cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with downloads timing out.

Agent47
Grafter

I’m having a bit of trouble downloading files via Internet Explorer since moving from a USB Zoom Modem to a wireless network. Network traffic stops randomly then the download times out. It’s getting like rolling a pea up to the top of mount Everest with your nose trying to download Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe (264 MBs) from any public free server (should I go for a subscribed service). Hddeluxe.exe is not the only file I’ve had trouble with, but it’s the most aggravating with it timing out on me at 258 MBs after 6+ hours (If had known it had timed out I would have had a go at recommencing it; but it was in the wee hours when it ended and I had shut my PC down, only to find out the following day when I tried to install it that it was not a complete file :x ). The network is fast and stable (speed test around 485 kbps on average) if a bit poor at the mo’ with 412kbps.

Tweak test results http://216.254.95.40/tweak/block:fe1305?service=dsl&speed=512&os=winXP&via=normal

Here’s what I’ve got:
A home built PC. GA7DX Mboard, f7 firmware, 2400 XP Athlon, 2 HDDs 120GB and 30GB (lots of space) 768MB RAM.
Dlink DSL -604+, using a USB adapter Dlink DWL 122 WEP enabled
Windows XP home SP1, Internet Explorer 6, XP firewall enabled, no file sharing.
AVG 6, Kerio (disabled, I may remove it).

I didn’t think I would have to use the likes of Gozilla again since moving to Broadband. But it’s looking like I’ll have to install something like it (if I can download any of them Sad ).

Any hints, tips or help much appreciated.
4 REPLIES
N/A

With downloads of that size, I would still use a download manager. Apart from loosing DSL, anything could go amiss from the remote server to download limits on remote servers.
However, your comment that your wireless network stops responding would tend to point to an error there.
Agent47
Grafter

If I use WinMX whilst downloading Files using Explorer it becomes a lot more stable and faster.
What could this mean?
Could the problem be between the adapter and router?
At least I've found a work-around till I figure out what’s going on.
N/A

I think your USB adapter is probably the weakest
item in the set up you should consider a PCI card ,
if problems persist.
If you have DHCP enabled on the router, Check the DHCP server / client
configuration settings, server leases, and make sure there isn't any
time out and change values if so.
Another option is to turn off DHCP and set your IP ranges and DNS servers manually on your pc's LAN settings.
Try changing wireless channels this sometimes has an effect
on stability.
If your router has a setting for reducing range or speed slightly on the wireless connection this may be of benefit to stability without reducing
download speed.
I don't think your using the optimum MTU setting so have a look at
the MTU Tweak topic and reduce MTU trying values of
1478, 1458 & 1430 this should give an improvement.
You might as well turn off the XP firewall as it can't see anything
behind NAT and your routers firewall is sufficient.
Alec
N/A

I can't think of any reason why having WinMX running while you are also doing a HTTP download should help stabalise the HTTP download, aprt frm slowing the HTTP download.
I would suggest, as aleca has said, that the USB modem is liable to be the weak point. However, I would go for a single port DSL modem router hard wired to your wireless set up.