cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Sending Mail with OE

N/A

Um, got adsl from plus net & no probs (it's ace after being used to 56k!!).... BUT I'm having issues with sending mail.

I run a number of mail accounts for various things & all bar my personal server are unable to send mail....

Errors pretty much as follows:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'wilecoyotep@yahoo.com'. Subject 'Fw: SR23-39 Errors:0 Orders Found:64', Account: 'pop.freeserve.net', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Administrative prohibition', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I have tried microsoft & several other places to fix the problem but to no avail? anybody got any ideas? Running Win98SE on a 1gb Duron with 512mb memory....

Got the Binatone modem etc

More info if you need it!

Many Thanks

Pete
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

When you are connected to the net via Plusnet you must use relay.plus.net as the outgoing SMTP server for all your OE accounts you have setup. This is detailed under connection settings -> connection details page.

smtp.freeserve.com cannot be used if you are not connected via freeserve dialup or ADSL
N/A

My connection settings are all correct - trust me I've checked!

Interesting about the smtp.freeserve.com thing... Will have to have words with freeserve! Thanks for the info.

I still have problems sending from btinternet and relay.plus.net though.... doesn't matter WHERE I send it....

Error messages as follows:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'wilecoyotep@yahoo.com'. Subject 'Fw: SR23-39 Errors:0 Orders Found:64', Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying to <wilecoyotep@yahoo.com> prohibited by administrator', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Fw: SR23-39 Errors:0 Orders Found:64', Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B
N/A

As Peter said, you can only send outgoing mail from Plusnet, not from Freeserve, BTinternet or any other ISP when using the ADSL connection

In your all of your accounts in outlook, the outgoing mail server needs to be

relay.plus.net

The incoming mail, however, can be another ISP, for example I still have a BTinternet account,

the incoming mail server is mail.btinternet.com
the ougoing mail server is relay.plus.net

Jeff
N/A

Interesting....

Is this specific for ADSL? Or plusnet ADSL? I used to be able to do it without a problem on dial-up. Just so long as the settings are correct shouldn't it work?

As for plus.net - my settings are correct yet I still cannot send mail through adsl. It IS set to relay.plus.net!

The only mail server I can send mail via an adsl connection is through a domain I own (rockingfish.com) & it does this without a problem....
N/A

I think that it's ADSL related, and is concerned with positive identification of the email sender.

With dialup you usually have to supply Calling Line ID to be able to send mail.

With ADSL you don't send CLI, and although you are identified with Plusnet, you will be invisible to BTInternet or Freeserve, and I think they bar you using their outgoing mail servers.

I haven't got a clue why you can't send from Plusnet, apart from checking the settings again ( which I know you have done already) I can't suggest anything else, except maybe check any firewall seetings to see if outlook is barred
Jeff
N/A

This is a spam prevention method.

The idea is, you can only use the outgoing mail server of the ISP you are currently connected to.

So if you dialup to freeserve, you can only use Freeserves outgoing mailserver. PlusNet or BTInetenet would reject your outgoing message because you are not connected to them.

The same applies with PlusNet dialup or ADSL. You can only use the PlusNet outgoing mail server, all others will reject it.

Each ISP has a set of IP addresses assigned to them, to dish out to customer connections. Because only that ISP can use them, that ISP knows which addressses to allow onto there mail servers.

This prevents spam by limiting what you can use to send e-mail. If you can only use your own ISPs outgoing server, then people sending spam are limited in there options.

It is also easier for an ISP to track its own users, if they do abuse it.
N/A

OK I get the message about not being able to send via another isp when you're connected to a different one....

However.....

I still say I could do it with dial up no problem... Besides that is the main point here though which is that:

I still can't send from plusnet email despite being connected via your adsl!!!!
N/A

This is a community discussion forum, I don't think anybody here works for Plusnet.

Jeff
Community Veteran

I still can't send from plusnet email despite being connected via your adsl!!!!

Please post the full error message for an account which fails but has relay.plus.net as the outgoing SMTP server?
N/A

I already posted it but here it is again (having just tried again)...

Cheers

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Fw: SR23-39 Errors:0 Orders Found:64', Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B
N/A

This is a community discussion forum, I don't think anybody here works for Plusnet.

Jeff

Didn't realise that - no offence intended!
csogilvie
Grafter

Some people do (they have PlusNet Staff under their username)
N/A

I sugest recreating the account in outlook express. This means removing the entry ain the accounts list, and creating a new one.

This error message is common and can mean corrupt information.
N/A

OK just tried that & got exactly same error message.

Any other suggestions? It's really hacking me off now!