cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translating Whoosh test results

Snarf
Grafter

I've just had my line tested,but the results that were passed to me weren't what I expected and I'm having trouble understanding them! The results are as follows:

Circuit Information

Circuit In Sync

NTE In Service

NTE Power On

NTE Bypass Not Activated

MUX In Service

Upstream xDSL Link Info

Loop Loss 35.5 dB

Margin 21 dB

Errored Seconds 0

HEC Errors 0

Cell Count 232

Speed 288 k

Downstream xDSL Link Info

Loop Loss 59.5 dB

Margin 13 dB

Errored Seconds 11

HEC Errors 0

Cell Count 232

Speed 1152 k

Can someone please translate these and tell me how they relate to what speed I can get? The tutorial says that a 1Mb line is approx 60dB, 2Mb is 45dB, however I don't know if this is upstream or downstream. Ful explaination would be appreciated!
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I presume it's refering to downstream beyond that i cannot help! Sad
Alecto
Grafter

Downstream is what matters as that is the direction the 2Mb or whatever refers to.

With your attenuation (loss) figureof just under 60, and noting that your SNR (margin) is just the right side of OK, you'll probably be limited to 1Mb. BT have recently been enforcing the theoretical maximum atten of 43 for 2Mb, though it could work at around 50 in some circumstances. But I'd not have thought so in yours.
LiamM
Grafter

Interesting, are they woosh test results?

I didn't think a whoosh test could give noise margin?
Snarf
Grafter

I asked PlusNet for a Whoosh test and that is what I got as a reply (hence me being slightly confused). If someone from PN (or someone that understands all this) can explain I'd be grateful!
Community Veteran

I have already asked via the usergroup if PN are using a new Woosh version as the report it gives is different to what we are used to seeing. I have also asked if the Margin is the SNR value or it is something else. No answer yet.
Snarf
Grafter

Ok cheers Peter Cheesy
Snarf
Grafter

Any reply from the User Group yet?
Community Veteran

Sorry, forgot Shockedops:

PlusNet are using a new version of whoosh which can now show SNR (reported as the margin) and the line attenuation (reported as loop loss).

It is pot luck whether you get the new or the old whoosh test as both are in use and each is available to a different group of staff.

An explaination of what the SNR and line attenuation means can be found in the following tutorial: ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.
N/A

Yup, we received a reply a few days back, although this thread must have been forgotten.

The official line is there are two versions of Whoosh in use at this time. One requiring a USB security token, the other providing access via another means.

Because of the way BT require agents be trained in the use of Whoosh, few agents have access to either.

Qith regards to the SNR readings, I will need to check if that was part of the answer.
Community Veteran

Yes It was Phil, I asked a specific Q on that very subject and Dave confirmed it.