cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrent Connectivity

N/A

Torrent Connectivity

I'm sorry, here we go again.

I had a small hunt for the same problem on the forum, but didn't see much, before anyone starts Smiley

The Problem -

No torrent program I use is connectable, no p2p program I use is connectable.

I'm on Plusnet Premier (oh the irony) 2Mb and have been for over a year. I use a Belkin FD-something-or-other wireless router. One PC is hardwired, one is wireless..

I use Sygate Pro as a software firewall and the Belkin has a firewall.

I know how to forward ports, what ports are needed and that I need to forward ports in both the router, the software firewall and assign those ports in whatever program I'm using. I know that I need to forward the ports in Windows 'Premier' Firewall too.

I've done this, successfully, many a time. I've tried changing the port numbers to various numbers. I specifically changed them outside of the 6k range, as I know this range is sometimes blocked.

I haven't gone over my limit. I don't think I could go over my limit, even if I wanted to.

I know that torrents and p2p rely on a number of different environmental variables - number of seeds, colour of underpants you're wearing that day, whether or not it's raining... blah blah..

The question is - What is stopping these programs being connectable? It isn't a problem at my end, I'm pretty sure. I've had this problem for a couple of months now, I think, but I've lived with it. It just seems to get worse and worse though.

Is this a side effect of the packet dropping machine? The same one that cost a few quid that could have been spent on another pipe?

I'm mighty pissed off, plusnet. I know that every ISP's turning/turned shoddy, but really.. Even if you put a 20GB limit on the month, I blasted my 20GB and got cut off 'til the start of the next month, I think I'd be happier.
18 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Torrent Connectivity

Sorry, but it's not Plusnet's fault. I'm on the same package and am connectable.
If the sites you're connecting to are OK, and you're using a decent program like Azureus, then it's a port forwarding or firewall problem. And since you know all about those, you will no doubt be able to solve it.
firmager
Grafter

Re: Torrent Connectivity

I'm sorry, here we go again.

I had a small hunt for the same problem on the forum, but didn't see much, before anyone starts Smiley

The Problem -

I'm on Plusnet Premier (oh the irony) 2Mb and have been for over a year. I use a Belkin FD-something-or-other wireless router. One PC is hardwired, one is wireless..

I use Sygate Pro as a software firewall and the Belkin has a firewall.

I know how to forward ports, what ports are needed and that I need to forward ports in both the router, the software firewall and assign those ports in whatever program I'm using. I know that I need to forward the ports in Windows 'Premier' Firewall too.

I've done this, successfully, many a time. I've tried changing the port numbers to various numbers. I specifically changed them outside of the 6k range, as I know this range is sometimes blocked.

I haven't gone over my limit. I don't think I could go over my limit, even if I wanted to.

I know that torrents and p2p rely on a number of different environmental variables - number of seeds, colour of underpants you're wearing that day, whether or not it's raining... blah blah..

The question is - What is stopping these programs being connectable? It isn't a problem at my end, I'm pretty sure. I've had this problem for a couple of months now, I think, but I've lived with it. It just seems to get worse and worse though.

Is this a side effect of the packet dropping machine? The same one that cost a few quid that could have been spent on another pipe?

I'm mighty <a href="http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/faq.php#1">[censored]</a> off, plusnet. I know that every ISP's turning/turned shoddy, but really.. Even if you put a 20GB limit on the month, I blasted my 20GB and got cut off 'til the start of the next month, I think I'd be happier.

I have a similar setup with wireless router etc. I use Azureus and found that it wouldn't connect for a while when I first got it. I somehow just played about with my firewall with the router trying it being on and off and somehow managed to get it to work.

Also I've got UPnP enabled aswell, have you thought about this?
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

I can get connectable but nothing will go through in peak hours at all. PN are really clamping down on P2P at the moment.

It seems like I'm not getting the service I'm paying for.
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

If you are not managing to download anything, then I'd suggest you look at your local setup.

Things might be bad, but they aint that bad.

I do manage to get varying download speeds using Limewire, some excellent some poor, but if your getting nothing, then I'd take a look at your router or local system cause something aint right.

if you are confident that your local setup has been checked and given a clean bill of health, then raise a ticket and get the CSC to check your profile.
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

Nothing has changed on my system in the last few months - no new software versions, no hardware changes.

I'm afraid the finger points to Plusnet and their capping policies screwing us out of bandwidth we are paying for.
hitachi
Grafter

Torrent Connectivity

Twiggy, you've not turned on the surf option in connection settings have you.
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

Maybe you're right, about it being a local network problem, but it seems like I've gone over everything a million times.

Surf's set to unrestricted, thanks though, fletchdsl Sad

I'm inclined to agree with daveshillitoe. I'm the same, nothing major's changed. Sometimes azureus can have a problem where it's unconnectable for no reason, I had that once before and I sorted it out by reinstalling about 3 times. I've tried a multitude of torrent programs though so it's not that problem.

edit - I can download things, just very slowly. under 5kB's. More often around 1-2 and pretty often the things slow right down to 0... Even with a good number of seeds etc.
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

I've been getting the same problem for about 2 months & i've pretty much stopped using torrents because of it.
I used to get 130K downloads but now I barely get 20K.
They keep saying that my exchange is heavily contended but my flatmate who has a 2nd line connected to AOL has no problems at all apart from being with AOL of course. He's just in the process of migrating to Zen so we'll see if their service is any better.
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

This whole fiasco really sucks, I can't get anything through at all now. It's alright shaping the traffic at peak times, but completely cutting it off all together. C'mon now!

You don't buy (or rent) a new car from Volkswagen to have them come round a few months later and fit a device that only lets you drive it at night, and limits it to 30mph during the day. Then a couple of weeks later, restrict you to B roads only and A roads during the night. A few weeks later, they adjust the it so you can only do only 100 miles a month, and no motorways at all. If you reach your 100 mile limit in the middle of a journey, tough, that's your fault for driving too far! The speed limits I signed up to when I learnt to drive - Imagine if they changed weekly and car manufacturers put limits on your car.

I signed up to an unlimited service - so did (probably) most of you guys, and now we're limited so far that the internet is useless if you want to use torrents. We all pay for the internet and we all wat to use it in different ways. We should be able to use it however we like witin the laws of the UK - just like the roads.
keithcalder
Grafter

Torrent Connectivity

Been using bit tornado for months, no problems. I would have to say a misconfigured firewall could be causing your problems. Why are you using 2 anyway. The hardware firewall built into your router should be suffiecient.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Torrent Connectivity

Hi,

From the sounds of your setup it sounds like there's just too many things doing the port forwarding and I think that might be the cause. As a test I'd suggest disabling the 3 firewalls and see if you can just get the port forwarded through NAT on the router. From there re-enable each firewall and add the appropriate rule and see which one causes the program not to be connectable.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Torrent Connectivity

I signed up to an unlimited service - so did (probably) most of you guys

No you didn't sign up for unlimited, at least if you did it wasn't with PlusNet. The word "unlimited" appeared on the portal towards the end of 2003 for a couple of months and as soon as the rest of the business realised it was there it was removed. It certainly did not appear on the portal when you signed up. The use of unlimited to describe our products is something that we do not do because of what happened with surftime back in the day and is a term we feel is not appropriate because of the many meanings it seems to have.

Take a look at some of the ISP's that use unliimited today, some have a fair usage policy, some have network contention and management, some use it to describe unlimited time online and not downloads, but whatever they do with that term we do not use it.
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

I signed up to a service that didn't slow down the further into the month I got, I could use my connection as I liked withou fear of being throttled to zero connection during the day. The word "unlimited" may not have appeared on the sign up page, but there were no limits slapped on my connection ack in the good old days.

There was a fair usage policy in place when I signed up, but it was so generous it was rarely enforced on my account, so, it was more or less unlimited. Every month these limits have been tightened and the connection is getting slower and slower with all these "improvements" Plusnet are making.

It seems from the forums there's nothing we can do, we can either put up with it or pay £83 for setup and modem that were advertised as free. They've got us over a barrel here, too slow to stay, too expensive to leave.
N/A

Torrent Connectivity

There was a fair usage policy in place when I signed up, but it was so generous it was rarely enforced on my account, so, it was more or less unlimited

Lets be clear. The FUP never got off the ground, so didnt apply to any accounts in August 2005.

Plus Net have been actively enforcing network management since around November 2004 when the original Bad Boy Pipe scenario arose. The management of heavy users has occurred actively and regularly since then.

we can either put up with it or pay £83 for setup and modem that were advertised as free

That was entirely your choice at sign up. Activation and hardware is free under the ypu stay we pay scheme. Stay for the agreed period and it is free. Leave before that period is up and you have to pay.