cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today's outage

Prunesquallor
Dabbler

Today's outage

It seems that a power outage is being blamed for the broadband connection failing this morning.

What makes me slightly puzzled is that this morning's problems were just a continuation of the problems I was experiencing yesterday, with wildly variable download speeds and loss of connection.

It will be interesting to see whether the service is back to normal when it is finally restored.
22 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Today's outage

It will be interesting to see whether the service is back to normal when it is finally restored.

If your interpretation of "back to normal" is wildly variable download speeds and loss of connection then I'd say Yes.

The power problem is a legitimate reason for an outage. The problems that you, myself and the ever increasing hoards are experiencing will continue for a very long time IMO.

Start looking for another ISP.

5-days to fix it, or I'm abandoning this sinking ship called PN.
N/A

Jump it's a sinking ship!

The best thing to do is cancel your PlusNet account. I have been trying to contact them for 4 weeks, but to no avail. Even cancelling your contract is difficult. I have left several messages on the help assistant asking to cancel my contract but these have been deleted. I then sent a letter by recorded delivery 3 weeks ago but no reply. PlusNet are completely hopeless and will probably not be around for very much longer!
Prunesquallor
Dabbler

Today's outage

I've been with Plusnet now for a long time, but I have to admit, I am considering taking your advice.

Currently I am getting 1.8 Mbps as opposed to the normal 2.5, but there is an additional problem in that there seems to be a delay before a page actually starts to download. Also I find that often I will get to a main page ok, but when I try to use the links, things become so slow that sometimes I time out.

Sky is looking better and better as a possible alternative.
N/A

Today's outage

I'm also thinking of the sky route.

My connection has been down since last friday (the second time I've had 4 or more days of no connection) and then the dial-up back-up they offered goes down too!!

so far, no sign of them doing anything to fix my line, just the standard "we've reported this fault to our providers".

thing is, if I cancel now I'll probably have trouble getting someone else, as they will inherit a line that doesn't work. so they might be reluctant to fix it too!!
penders
Grafter

Todays outage

Regarding today's outage, take a look at this graph (from l8nc.com) generated as a result of pinging usertools.plus.net. You can see by the 'orrible red marks that there were definately problems!

Have a look at the full graph...
N/A

Today's outage

I've been having problems with wildly variable speed - down to 45kbps at times. When its running its stuttery and slow.

Logged a call several days ago - got one reply telling me to go through a line fault checker. i did and was told all was ok after analysis!

Its not!

I reckon too that PN are on meltdown and wil fold shortly.
Though it ironic that this is just after a load of apology letters were sent out to long suffering customers.

Wonder if its that administrative case of keeping as many hanging on as they can!

Anyway, I havent had any replies for 4 days now.
N/A

Today's outage

I reckon too that PN are on meltdown and wil fold shortly.

Not fully up to speed on the business world:but do companies who are on the virge of collapse usually plan on spending 3 million quid over the coming year?
N/A

Today's outage

Is that a clever quip to my post. I'm not really sure.

However, in answer to your question, I wouldnt know about that if communication is down with me on the things that matter in the meantime.

Anything could be said to look good perhaps.

BTW I have been a long(ish) time with PN and am not threatening to jump ship like some - I just want to know truthfully whats up.

Thanks anyway for the info. If you were being clever with me, rack off thanks.
N/A

Today's outage

pressed the wrong button...

[addition] if you were not being clever, sorry for my less than polite (than I would be) reply.
N/A

Today's outage

BTW I have been a long(ish) time with PN and am not threatening to jump ship like some.

As have I, and I also have no intention of leaving...... my take on the situation is that Plusnet have tried to do too much in too short a time.But they still supply me with a rock stedy connection which is basically all I require....... apart from today which I understand was beyond their control despite what the doom and gloom merchants have been saying over at the other place.But I am confident that they will still be here for the foreseeable future, and if they do collapse tomorrow I will just simply find another provider.The tricky bit may be finding one that gives the same features as Plusnet at similar prices.

Interesting sideline:at approx 0830 my wife who shares my connection phoned me at work to tell me the connection was down I got home at 1315hrs to find the connection was still down so phoned support to find out what was going on....... made myself comfortable for a long wait and was answered with an explaination of this mornings problem within 5 minutes which was a suprise.Well done Plusnet in this instance.
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

If worse happens

I wonder what'd be scenario if they did go belly up,on migrating as there'd be no one to issue any MAC Codes, and would not be a priority for the Receiver appointed!
From past posts there's no one else who can issue eg BT Openworld
N/A

Today's outage

Not fully up to speed on the business world:but do companies who are on the virge of collapse usually plan on spending 3 million quid over the coming year?

ENRON?
N/A

Thank you Sky.

I have just received my invitation from Sky to take up their offer of up to 10 meg broadband for £10 a month.

It would be difficult for Sky to be any worse than Plusnet, surely, and though I don't want to be yet another person complaining about Plusnet, this morning I had to commute into London to work because my broadband connection was dropping every 45 seconds from 6.30 to 8am.

I don't care whose fault it is (ie. PN or BT), but at least I can speak to someone in Sky customer service and my experience of them supporting satellite tv over many years has been very good. So hopefully it will be similar for broadband if things go wrong. They have a bigger brand name to protect, after all

I raised a support call with PN last time my connection kept dropping in a big way (as opposed to just dropping every hour or so, which I learned to live with), and who knows if it was fixed or not - it seemed better for a couple of days, but that was that. In fact, I can recall only about 4 days when my "up to 8 meg" connection HASN'T dropped. have been with PN for 3 months. So very glad I didn't do a 12 month contract.

Hopefully Sky's service will be more stable, especially during the evenings.

And now I am also worrying about how much longer PN will be around - at the rate they are going, it might not be long.

Fingers crossed I get my MAC code soon. Smiley
N/A

Today's outage

If you are going down, why not spend £3,000,000, may as well go with a bang.