cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To far from exchange

N/A

To far from exchange

Idly put my phone number in the adsl checker on +Net and it tells me that although my exchange is Adsl activated I am too far from it to work. It may be online at the end of 2003.

So how come I have been up and running for over 2 months now with good download and upload speeds.

Just interested to how it all works and I have to say that I have noticed a slowing down lately similar to what has been reported by other members of this forum. Could it be that once Broadband becomes more popular it will slow down to a crawl so we then have to shell out more money for 1mb, 2mb, 5mb etc OR am I being a touch too cynical.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re

Oh, that's interesting the last message took much longer than usual to submit. :!:
N/A

To far from exchange

I'm pretty sure the tracker just runs from a database, which looks up your area and approximate distance from exchange and gives you an answer. It's not completely accurate.

As for the speed question, I doubt very much that contention will ever be felt (at it's fullest). So speeds will never be that slow, though they may be lower than before. Upgrading to 1mb, 2mb, etc. wouldn't necessarily help - only if that product had a lower contention ratio than your existing product (ADSL 500 is 50:1, so if you upgraded to 1mb 50:1 it would make no difference).
N/A

Re

Thanks for the reply, Cheers