cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Upgrade to 8MB or not?

dsmail
Grafter

I see we are now being given the option to upgrade to 8MB if we wish. Can I gather from this that it's turning out to be such a haphazard business that Plusnet no longer wish to take the responsibility when perfectly good 2MB connections go hopelessly wrong for whatever reason. Obviously I'd like the faster speeds, but not at the expense of a system collapse. Also, I presume that a downgrade (back to 2MB) is out of the question if the 8MB upgrade fails?

I'd appreciate any views or opinions on this.

Thanks

Dave
6 REPLIES
craiglay
Grafter

Its all a matter of where the planets are positioned in the sky at the point in which you get upgraded to Max. No, seriously, there are a lot of factors to consider when looking at upgrading.

1. Quality of you current line. If you are a fair distance >3km from the exchange, MaxDSL will probably cause problems. Look for your line attenuation and SNR margin in your modem / router stats. There are plenty of posts which describe how to do this. Low attenuations and high SNR margins at 2Mbit will give you a faster and more reliable connection at MsxDSL.

2. Quality of your broadband equipment. A router is recommended anyway in my opinion, but if your looking at MaxDSL, even more so. It will provide a much more stable and faster connection than the supplied free modem. Also, the quality of your phone line for voice, how many phones on the line etc...

3. If it aint broke, don't fix it. If you are quite happy with your rock solid 2Mbit connection, it may be best to wait a while for BT / Plusnet to sort out the problems on MsxDSL. Its still a very new technology.

I doubt there will be an option to go back to fixed 2Mbit as you have chosen to be upgraded. If there was, you would probably have to part with some money to. They have only downgraded people, in very rare circumstances where MaxDSL wasn't working at all.

Just my opinion, I'm still pondering the upgrade mself.

Craig
davebrown
Grafter

I am in the same position hear, just got the email from PlusNet last night.
I just don’t know what to do :? but my gut feeling is stick to my stable 2 meg connection.
The problem is if we jump to the FASTER :roll: 8 meg connection we are not able to go back to a stable 2 meg connection.

If its not broken don’t fix it Cheesy

Dave
iashton
Grafter

Re: To Upgrade to 8MB or not?

I see we are now being given the option to upgrade to 8MB if we wish. Can I gather from this that it's turning out to be such a haphazard business that Plusnet no longer wish to take the responsibility when perfectly good 2MB connections go hopelessly wrong for whatever reason. Obviously I'd like the faster speeds, but not at the expense of a system collapse. Also, I presume that a downgrade (back to 2MB) is out of the question if the 8MB upgrade fails?

I'm in exactly the same position. The circular from PlusNet doesn't give enough information on which to take this decision. The stats from my router imply I'm borderline for 2mb [ Line att 40db Down, 27db Up, Noise 17.2db down, 22 db up] However despite this my service is OK at the moment with long connection times and good speeds. I'm reluctant to risk this for what may only turn out to be a small improvement in speed.

So I'm taking the " it ain't broke so don't fix it option". Reading these forums gives me the impression 2mb is still a struggle for a lot of customers. I'll wait for eight ( what about that for a slogan? Cheesy )
oliverb
Grafter

I've got the same dilemma with the complication that this is the office system not my home one.

I'd really like 448k upstream but the way things are now I can't risk it.

Also I really think there ought to be a way of setting your max sync rate manually. Maybe some routers allow this I don't know. If you could set your limit manually then perhaps if your service is flaky you could opt for a lower speed and get a more stable connection or opt for the fastest speed and put up with the interruptions. Also if the fastest backhaul data rate really is about 4.5M then there's probably no point in syncing faster than that.

I may be misunderstanding this but from experience a 500K connection delivered 500k, a 1000k delivered 950k, a 2M delivered 1900k but an 8M service that's actually synced at 8M appears to only deliver 4.5M.
N/A

I too am pondering this question. I live quite a way from the exchange, and indeed when I went up from 1mb to 2mb, it was very unstable for many weeks.

I connect via a hardware firewall/router (IPCOP) which doesn't log the connection speed, SNR etc, so I can't see if my line is any better now or not. (using alcatel speedtouch usb 'modem')

I think I'll leave well alone for now. I am currently getting upload and download speeds faster than ever before, up to 2.2 Mbps down and 0.4 up.

Alan
dsmail
Grafter

Thanks for all your thoughts and views. There seems to be quite a few of us in the same pondering boat. I've seen enough now to know I'm not going to risk a rock solid 2 meg connection for an 8 meg (that would never really be 8 meg anyway) that might open all kinds of problems. What factors will make the upgrade a safer bet in time?

Dave