cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Interleave or to not interleave

N/A

I like the new download speeds of MAXdsl but the high pings (nothing less than 50) are killing my online gaming. I know I can have interleaving turned off to help with this problem, but I was wondering if any folks here could offer me a bit of sensible advice.

At the moment my connection is super stable, and I get download speeds of 5 - 6 Mbps. From my router I can also see the following stats :-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 30 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db 27 db

Can anyone see an obvious reason why interleaving will not work for me? I obviously dont want to go to a period of constant disconnections, but If i have interleaving turned off and it doesnt work out for me can I get it turned back on?

Thanks in advance - Critch
6 REPLIES
N/A

With those figures, I can't understand why interleaving was turned on in the first place - they look very healthy and you have plenty of margin to spare even when syncing at top whack.

Did you have lots of disconnections/resyncs when you first went onto MaxDSL? Do you have any extension wiring?
N/A

Yeah - I had lots of disconnect problems after getting Maxdsl. Tried loads of things, from the simple like connecting directly into the phone master socket, right through all sorts of other tweaks.

My disconnect problems did not get sorted until I got rid of my PCI ADSL card and swapped for an excelent netgear NG834 router about 3 weeks ago. Since then my connection has been excellent, but the ping remains high.

I have been led to beleive that my interleaving setting is AUTO, but I think it is probably tending towards ON, as my lowest pings have gone from about 20ms with my old 2meg connection, to 50ms now and are showing no signs of coming back down.

I really would like to get back to a low ping, but do not want to mess up my connection, which is why I am asking for a bit of solid advice first Wink

critch
N/A

Do you mean the Netgear DG834? If so.. there is a way you can see if interleaving is active or not, but it's a bit of a ball ache.

Well, if you still had problems when connected to the test socket, it probably indicates a dodgy modem or telephone line. In that case I don't see any harm in asking for interleaving to be turned off. Personally I swear by the DG834G, maybe your old PCI card just couldnt hack it? If you do have issues, then you can just ask to have it turned on again (because it will no longer be set to "auto").
N/A

whoops yeah I did mean DG834, Dyslexic fingers :roll: .

I have googled "interleaving netgear DG834" and have seeen how to check - So I checked this out and it seems interleaving is definately on. :roll:

Well I think I am going to have to look at getting this switched off. I guess if I get interleaving swithced off and my connection becomes unstable, PN are going to charge to get interleaving switched back on Wink

Ahh well needs must I guess
N/A

I guess if I get interleaving swithced off and my connection becomes unstable, PN are going to charge to get interleaving switched back on

I'm not sure what the deal is with this. I don't believe they charge, but they might get a bit pissed off with being asked all the time :lol:

As an afterthought, I think you get an "interleaving" button in Connection Settings now, depending on how interleaving has been configured in the past. You should be able to turn it on and off using this button.
Alecto
Grafter

The story is that if you had interleaving manually turned on, then you get a button to turn it on and off yourself.
It is their intention to give everybody this button in due course.