cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Far Away For 1 or 2 meg......

N/A

Recently went to see if i could regrade my net to 1meg but was told I couldnt because of my distance from the exchange. Ok it happens but I was wondering more if there are plans later on to extend the range of such products or am I forever restricted to 512kbps ? Im not on an extended reach 512kbps just the normal one, but that little bit of distance got me..... Any comments would be appreciated....

Gareth.
11 REPLIES
N/A

There are a few technologies in testing at this time by BTm that estimate an extended reach of 0.2km for 512 services.

BT have no plans at this time to work on upping the distance for the higher rate services.
N/A

I was told I couldt get 1Mb either too even though my exchange is only about 1km away from me.
how close do you have to be ? and does anyone know the line loss limit for 1Mb ?

to further explain on my story.
I moved to a new house and got a phone line fitted.
unknown to me this was a DACS line that was fitted.
however I did the broadband check on bt.com/broadband and it said I could get up to 2Mb.

however, when I applied to plusnet to get my broadband moved to my new line, the DACS was removed as necessary and now when I check the bt.com/broadband checker, I'm told I am too far away for ADSL and I should try ISDN even though my 512k line is working perfectly already

would it be a fault of the broadband checker that prevented me getting 1Mb?
N/A

Doubtful.

BT pretty much do a line loss test as standard for higher rate services, due to the fact there are less of these ordered.

The distance is not an important factor in ADSL, and people are happily using the service on 7km distances. The important figure is the line loss.

1 & 2Mb services both requires a attuation of 45 or lower on an enabled DSL line. IE, if your modem gives attuation out, or you request a woosh test to understand your figures through PlusNet, 45 and under is what you should look for.

After performing lots of installs, BT came up with a rough figure of 6km for a 60dB reading.

It isn't a science, but a rough art.
N/A

heres my readings
guess my downstream attenuation is border line ?

Downstream :
Noise Margin : 29.5 dB
Attenuation : 41.0 dB
Output Power : 17
Upstream :
Noise Margin : 13.0 dB
Attenuation : 22.0 dB
Output Power : 9
N/A

can you tell me how you get the readings for your line like those above, wanna see what mine are. Thanks.
Community Veteran

If your modem does not supply these details request a whoosh test via the contact us ticket system and indicate you are looking to upgrade to 1Meg and want to see if your line is capable.
N/A

The noise margin is also very important and 13db upstream is quite low.
Rules are a low attenuation figure but a high Signal/Noise figure (mines 29u/31d)
It is most probably the upstream noise figure you have been rejeced on and not the attenuation.
Do you have any overhead power pylons between you and the exchange ??
as I do wonder when there are such vast differences in SNR figures between upstream and downstream.
N/A

I dont think there are overhead powerlines really. Cant remember seeing any on the road to the exchange.

looks like I am stuck with 512 anyway Sad
was hoping to get 1Mb so that when I work from home its quicker for my work.
N/A

iput my phone number in and it say i can get 1mb or 2mb. So i am all good Cheesy
N/A

The checker is a guess-o-meter and not a definitive guide. It uses data available based on rought estimates of line length.

Fruther tests would be needed first.
Community Veteran

The only way you will know if 1 or 2meg is possible is when BT do a line test, this is of course after you request PlusNet toregrade to 1 or 2 megs and pay your regrade fee (which is refunded if the BT test fails).

FYI the BT checker said I could not have ADSL, the BT line check said I could and ive had 512k ADSL for 2 years now. It can work out the other way - checker says yes, BT line check says no.