cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Boot or Not to Boot, that is the question.

Isitme
Grafter

I have just done a couple of speedtests as my connection seemed to be slow, eg, images taking ages to load. The second shown was done after I rebooted my router. These are the results-

You will see that there is a tremendous difference. My question is, should the router be booted daily to get the best speed or was this just a blip? I normally switch off my router with the rest of my kit each night, but last night it was left running, so I have not noticed this before.
6 REPLIES
flicker
Grafter

There seems to be a vast difference between the speed shown on that test, and the one on the plusnet connection settings page doesn't there?

Your current speed is:
1.78 Mbps

and

2/16/2007 12:32 PM GMT 1219 kb/s

I am confused though, one says Mbps and the other kb/s - are they one and the same? :?
Isitme
Grafter

Do mean these are your speeds Dolly, my latest test on PN shows-
16-02-2007 12:59:25 3177.2

The PN test is known not to be too accurate, so I seldom take any notice.
N/A

Re: To Boot or Not to Boot, that is the question.

... My question is, should the router be booted daily to get the best speed or was this just a blip?.

One possible explanation could be a "load balancing" problem at PlusNet's end (I don't know if something similar can occur within the telecoms system).

To some degree, PlusNet rely on customers disconnecting/reconnecting in order to "balance" or evenly distribute connections across their equipment/resources.

Because many people stay connected for extended periods, some almost permanently, this inabiity to balance can result in parts of their system being congested whilst parts of their system are less congested. Disconnecting, then reconnecting should result in you being reconnected to the less congested part of their systems, which may result in better performance.

You probably don't need to fully "reboot" your router - there is probably a way that you can disconnect/reconnect to your ADSL service without rebooting. On my Speedtouch router, if I go into its embedded web-interface "speedtouch.lan", I can then disconnect/reconnect the Broadband Connection just like a dialup/USB modem.

You may, or may not, see any difference from disconnecting/reconnecting depending on whether the "load balancing" is the cause of the low speed - there are a lot of other possible causes.
N/A

1.78 Mbps ../.. 1219 kb/s

I am confused though, one says Mbps and the other kb/s - are they one and the same? :?

Roughly speaking...

1.78 Mbps = 1780 Kbps, and

1219 Kbps = 1.219 Mbps

...that's when using 1 M = 1000 K, although very often in the computer world 1M = 1024 K.

The difference between speeds of 1.78 Mbps and 1.22 Mbps isn't all that much in this context - fairly normal depending on the busyness of the whole broadband/internet system at the different times of testing - often varying from one minute to the next.
Isitme
Grafter

I did discover, later on in the day,that there had be problems with one of the 'gates'. It had been out of action, causing congestion on the others. Re-booting obviously put me on to the almost free gate. I am not sure but this seems to suggest that switching off at night, as I normally do, should be the best way to go. Leaving the connection on would seem to increase the chance of ending up on a congested gate. Unless someone knows different :?:
N/A

Certainly, leaving equipment on for extended periods when it's not in use - just wastes electricity, wastes money and adds to polution/global warming.

Better off alround to shut things down.