cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiscali - lower prices - can they be matched

Bigbrotherjx
Grafter

Tiscali is offering uncapped 1mb ADSL at 24.99. Can this be matched? Tiscali is another BT Wholesale company I believe.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Tiscali use a DataStream network, which leave far more control in the hands of Tiscali.

Whilst this means more control, it also means more opotunities for cutting corners, to cut costs.

Whilst we can't say if Tiscali does this, past Tiscali performance shows it's a tought one.

PlusNet use a IPStream network, which is a pretty steady set cost. Unless BT drop the prices, there is little that can be done.
N/A

could you not use both and provide a cheep line for those that just want to browse the web and use IPstream for the other accounts that need the better performance?
Community Veteran

They did at one time - dslconnect (supplied by Tiscali) - but they had so many problems with it, it was ditched as soon as PN could offer IPstream at similar prices.

Plusnet would need a massive investment to do their own Datastream network so unlikely to happen.
lowry
Grafter

As has been said, Tiscali use Datastream to provide their end-users with ADSL. This differs from standard IPStream wholesale products in that the provider controls the backhaul link from the exchange to their network instead of BT. This may sound fine, but it means that sometimes providers can be slack upgrading these and things get congested.

On IPStream, as the backhaul from the exchange has to cater for many providers' customers, then BT always have to keep ahead of demand to stop ISPs complaining that they are causing lots of their customers to experience poor performance on the BT leg of the network, but on datastream it's only one ISP's customers the backhaul is for and so there may not be the same incentive to stay ahead of demand.

IPStream has proven to be more reliable for end-users in the past, and so I would recommend avoiding Datastream ISPs, especially Tiscali (who have been known for poor performance) for now until they get their act together or work out how to manage the system better. Datastream has the potential to be more reliable than IPStream (as 1:1 contention datastream products can be offered, etc) but many providers mismanage things.

I think PlusNet's pricing is quite good at the moment, because they offer a good reliable ADSL service, good customer support, and many features with the account and I doubt they could manage to keep these things up to the good standard they are currently if they dropped prices, and made their margings tighter.

matt Wink
Bigbrotherjx
Grafter

I understand what you mean. I'm just getting jealous of my friends on 1meg BlueYonder. Cry