cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Times of day for best speeds on p2p & torrent downloads?

N/A

AM ON BROADBAND PLUS BY THE WAY

Evil just to test and see when I could receive maximum UNCAPPED downloads on P2P and Torrent yesterday I was up till just before 1 AM, AND MY DOWNLOADS WERE STILL BEING CAPPED/LIMITED Surely the network should not be THAT busy at this time, so why did I still have limited speed downloads :!: :?:

I am NOT a heavy downloader, just a few downloads occasionally, so I do not want to upgrade to Premier Service.

When do other Broadband Plus users figure are the times when I can download torrents/p2p files without being limited :?:

THANKS IN ADVANCE Smiley
29 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

It's relative to how busy the network is.

See - http://www.plus.net/support/adsl/adsl_utilisation.shtml

The best time I would guess to be around 3am - 8am.
N/A

ok thanks
N/A

I reccomend using www.ircspy.com if you want to download things.. torrent can just be generally slow, and PN do not cap IRC as it's not generally a p2p file sharing program. enjoy Smiley www.mirc.com / www.nnscript.com
N/A

Evil :roll: was up at 4.30am to see what torrent and limewire speeds would be like and they maxed out at 30KB/Sec ONLY Evil

thats slower than a 512K connection grrrr
any ideas why?

i tried with various torrents with LOTS of seeders and that, still being slow
LiamM
Grafter

You are on Broadband Plus. This package is not designed for P2P, but allows it for occasional use.
N/A

during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

That's what you say on your Broadband Plus product page. According to your "available bandwidth" graph, during 4 am to 8 am bandwidth utilisation is much lower than usual, and thus no lower priority need be given to Broadband Plus users right? But why is it that you are still capping p2p downloads at 30KB/Sec?

Thanks.
N/A

Surely there are other factors to consider that will affect the speed of the torrent? Perhaps the slow speed isnt due to capping in this instance.

I was using P2P yesterday and was maxing out at about 25Kb and i'm on premier.
craigbrass
Grafter

Well I am on broadband premier and I do occassionally use P2P and when I do I use emule and bittorrent and best I get normally is 20-30k per second. This is not to do with PlusNet, it is to do with how many other web users host the file, what their speed is and how many other users are downloading that particular file. Best way to do it in my opinion is scheduel your downloads through the day, close the file sharing program, start it up again later before you go to bed and just leave it running through the night and most should be done by the morning.
Alecto
Grafter

Many posts over the past few weeks indicate that with Broadband Plus, P2P never gives a quick download speed. It's as though it is slowed down regardless of what else is going on on the network.

I'd suggest that the only way to get decent P2P speeds is to change to Premier.
And then, as has been said, you also need enough peers and seeds as well.
N/A

P2P never gives a quick download speed.

I'm not sure that is correct, I've had 110kb/s downloads on bit torrent, and often average around 80-90 kb/s.

Newsreaders are faster though,

As already stated, BB+ was never designed with P2P in mind, and all traffic will be shapped in favour on e-mail and surfing. If you want to use P2P switch to another product.
N/A

traffic shaping on BB+ basically equates to:
20k/s cap during the day and 30k/s cap during the night for p2p.

It was originally sold as a product that p2p users could use in the evening without the cap but in reality the cap has always been in place even at night time im afraid.
N/A

update:

p2p is now capped at 10k/s during the day, 30k/s at night.

Big thumbs down to plusnet on this Cry
N/A

I'm still getting 200 on bittorrent...

BB+ is not recommended for p2p and so the caps on it are very restrictive...
N/A

your on BB+ solstan?