cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Jump Ship?

N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

As a once avid supporter, of plusnet, its customer support and connections, i find it disgusting when i get results like this

Download Speed: 1046 kbps (130.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 370 kbps (46.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

On an 8mb connection, PERFECT working hardware, connecting leads, and i could throw a stone at my exchange.

So I guess its getting to the time to jump off the sinking ship before I get taken under with it.....

Just gotta find an ISP that can offer what plusnet did offer 2 years ago....

It reminds me of the Band Aid song, in one paticular line

#the clanging chimes of doom#
23 REPLIES
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

Just been digging around...anyone heard of these

http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-max.php

The prices are a little more, and the peak useage a little wierd, but they are rated 5th on Adslguide, and WAAAY above plusnet
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

hitachi
Grafter

Time to Jump Ship?

Aquiss are an entanet reseller.
Entanet are the current flavour of the month and this has caused some overloading and slowdowns,they are awaiting the arrival of another central towards the end of December.
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

Cannot get "BE" unfortunatley.....thanks for the info about Aquiss tho

Also found these, which dont seem too bad!

http://www.newnet.co.uk/broadband/features.php
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

Cry

I so much agree with the jumping ship proposal - except that the last time we did it, we spent months picking up the pieces. I'm a reasonably capable user of the technology, but if I change my car, I don't need to study the equivalent of a Haines manual for 6 months or more before I can start driving my new one. Not so with switching ISPs!!!

Anyway, back to Plusnet! We joined over a year ago, having been impressed by the findings in a recent Which? report. Since then we think Plusnet has either got complacent, or just has not put the resources in to satisfy increased customer demand. We have had months of intermittent connection problems, and any contact with technical support ( no sensible way of doing this on-line! )simply adds to the frustration. PlusNet tells me that it's probably BT's fault; BT tells me to take up the complaint with my ISP!! Since we occasionally do manage to stay connected for more than 30 seconds, I don't think the problem is with our equipment. But I am just so sick of getting connected and onto a website, only to find that the connection has dropped before I get past the first page. Or worse, I've just got connected and up pops the dialogue box asking me if I want to go online! If I ignore it, I immediately get disconnected. I really want to feed this frustration to a real live person working for Plusnet's Customer Services, since I am rapidly becoming a totally dissatisfied client and I'd like to give them the chance to help me before I take away my business.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for making meaningful contact with this company or are they so virtual that they don't need to worry about customer satisfactionHuh?

Sorry this is a long message, but it's an indication of the level of irritation I now feel whenever I get near my PC !!!!!
Community Veteran

Time to Jump Ship?

Hey Rob.

With all due respect, couldn't you be jumping the gun?

Have run BT tests to compare with the speed test you refered to above?

If not then I honestly would.
If it shows that PN are the problem, then by all means rant away and indeed migrate away if you wish.
Would be sad to see you go though, especially if it turns out to be a fault or exchange contention issue after all.
Community Veteran

Time to Jump Ship?

@ newtondavies

I think you should definitely run the fault wizard considering your disconnection!

Got to "Help & Support" > "My Broadband Connection" > "Self-test and Raise a Fault"

I think that is right, if not it is in the "Help & Support" section somewhere.

There is allways "Broadband Faults Helpline: 0845 140 0080"
found at the bottom of the portal and forum pages.
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

jump ship and get a FREE PC see

http://www.redteninternet.com/

Worth a look its a reasonable pc
ady
Grafter

Time to Jump Ship?

lol free pc do they have like a life long contract to abide to Tongue

--- edit ----

ok i've just reasearched this company and everything seems to genuine to be true !

i am SERIOUSLY thinking about switching to this, just 3 yr contract seems abit steep Smiley
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

I am seriously thinking of jumping ship to Demon.

I don't want or need any gimmicks, as I web designer I just want good connectivity and will pay more for it if I have to. Whilst http seems fine. FTP and Email (IMAP in particular) are painfully slow at peak that you feel like throwing the PC through the window. Out of peak (after 11pm) it flies. Good consistent FTP and Email is very very important but no good to me at the middle of the night.

It would appear I am not alone with this issue when reading elsewhere on the forums.

FYI - I use a hosting provider (netmotivated) for my webspace, FTP and Email and I know it is not them who have the connectivity issues.

Look forward to your comments

Neil.
cookie141
Grafter

Time to Jump Ship?

BT makes recommended cash offer for PlusNet plc
BT today announced it has made a recommended cash offer for PlusNet, offering 210p per share, valuing the company at approximately £67m.

The offer for PlusNet fits perfectly with BT’s strategy of providing its customers with the most that broadband can deliver. Broadband is increasingly becoming more than just fast internet access and PlusNet has a strong reputation for both customer service and innovation.

Operating since 1997, PlusNet was listed on the Alternative Investment Market in 2004. It has grown rapidly during the last few years and now has close to 200,000 broadband customers as well as an additional narrowband customer base. If the offer is accepted, PlusNet will retain its brand and distinct identity. It will continue to operate from its base in Sheffield and Lee Strafford will remain its CEO. For the 12 months to 30 June 2006 the company had revenues of £41m, EBITDA of £7.5m and net income of £3.9m 1.

BT Retail chief executive, Ian Livingston said: “This offer makes great sense for BT. We already provide the UK’s most popular and best-performing ADSL broadband service and this acquisition will ensure that even more people can enjoy our market-leading services. PlusNet’s customers and employees will benefit from the combination of PlusNet’s excellent platform and access to BT’s resources and technology development.”

Lee Strafford, CEO of PlusNet said: “I am pleased to announce BT’s offer this morning. Whilst the PlusNet Directors continue to believe that PlusNet is a high quality business, our sector is consolidating and there are considerable benefits to PlusNet in becoming part of BT. BT recognises the importance of retaining PlusNet’s identity and culture and I believe this will give rise to exciting opportunities for PlusNet, our customers and our employees.”

The directors of the company, having unanimously recommended the offer, have provided irrevocable undertakings to accept BT’s offer.
hitachi
Grafter

Time to Jump Ship?

Been asleep for the last 3 days ?
linky
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

Hey Rob.

With all due respect, couldn't you be jumping the gun?

Have run BT tests to compare with the speed test you refered to above?

Tried to do the speed tests the old way, you know, muck about with the router, and then run it, now you have to be TAP1 registered, did it the other day, straight to the test page, rather than doing the settings on the router...a normal speedtest gave me around 1mb, and the bt speedtester gave me closer to 7mb
N/A

Time to Jump Ship?

Okay, just ran it again...

BT Speedtest around 2.5mb (still bloody dismal)
PN Speedtest MAKE SURE YOUR SITTING DOWN FOR THIS ONE 718k