cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time taken to verify line if exchange not ADSL enabled.

N/A

Hi,

I've recently signed up for the 512k Home ADSL from Plus net. Unfortunately my local exchange will not be ADSL enabled untill the 13th of August. My question is this: Can my line be verified before the exchange is fully enabled? In other words, can I expect confirmation that I can get ADSL (and hence go and buy equipment) before the 13th?

This may sound like a stupid question Shockedops: but I figured that it may be possible for these line tests to be performed before they officially say the exchange is ADSL ready.

Cheers,
R.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Some tests can be completed, however, these are more pen & paper jobs.

The modern versions of these tests are pretty accurate, however, they can still be very inacurate for non-enabled exchanges.

The tests use real values taken from the exchange. Thus, no activations, no values to populate the tests. As such, they can only go on averages taken from other exchanges.

Only once the Go-live date has passed, ann an exgineer can actualy hoook your line up to perform the real tests will you know if you can obtain ADSL.

You shouldn't worry about this too much, even though it is a suck-it-and-see process.

If you line does fail for any reason, you will receive a full refund for your activation.
N/A

The MOST significant factor likely to affect the outcome of any tests is how FAR you are from the exchange.

If you want something to read (wade through) while you are waiting I could point you in the direction of some (at times technical) documents. Trouble is I cant remember exactly where they are or post a precise link right now. Smiley

I have the time and like reading. Appreciate that many people don't.
N/A

Thanks,

I don't think I live that far from the exchange coz the place I live is small and seems to have it's own exchange. I presume the length of cable from teh BT socket to the computer would aslo be an issue. my house is a bit of a maze of telephone wiring (was like that when I moved in :? ), so I guess I should find the main terminal and have the shortest cable possible to my router.

Thanks again.
N/A

Yes. Your own "in-house" wiring is a factor, though the length of such wiring is probably insignificant in comparison to the distance from the exchange. The problem here is that some installations fail even the post-activation tests simply because the in-house wiring is an amateur job with loads of plug-in extension from B&Q or whatever.

If you actually fail the test it might be worth un-plugging your own house wiring and asking for a re-test. You can usually get around house wiring problems by installing the mico-filter close to the BT inlet into your house. More complex solutions in extreme cases.

We actually have THREE phones hanging off one of those cheap and cheerful micro-filters that comes with the self-install package. No problems except that one of the phones now has a shorter ring-tone.

Cheers
N/A

PS - if you choose the router option you can have a LONG cable between the computer and the router. Better than extending telephone wires.
N/A

PS - if you choose the router option you can have a LONG cable between the computer and the router. Better than extending telephone wires.

Was just thinking exactly that Wink
I could have the router right next to the phone socket and then use good ethernet cable to the computers.
N/A

Exactly what I do. Plus the router will give you a firewall and almost endless expansion options via a hub and better performance, quicker connections etc.

Cheesy