cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttle the P2P bandwidth pirates

N/A

Throttle the P2P bandwidth pirates

A while ago I posted a suggestion that it was P2P traffic that was causing bandwidth problems and further, that most P2P traffic is illegaly copied media. Looks like I was right (on at least one count) - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=891.
Hopfully PlusNet will introduce a similar throttling system for P2P traffic and then we might see some speed improvements for legitimate use.
Dropping binary news groups would help too, by the sounds of it.

Any users who are not happy with this should be allowed to get out of their contracts early - freeing up even more bandwidth for legitimate use.

And before I'm accused of falling for anti P2P propaganda - I have experienced P2P services (napster, gnutella, kazaa) first hand & the main shift brought on by BroadBand is the sharing of huge video and software copies that sap bandwidth more than a few MP3s ever could. I know the idea of getting DVD quality copies of films for free is an attractive one, but not only is it illegal, it's killing bandwidth. Plus, from the few examples I've seen, the quality of the films is worse than VHS anyway!

As the ADSLGuide article says, no ISP will be able to sustain a usable sub £30pm ADSL service and allow P2P traffic to go on increasing unchecked.

It's only a matter of time.....

14 REPLIES
jlpappin
Grafter

RE: Throttle the P2P bandwidth pirates

http://www.plus.com/product_picker.html#anchorpoint4760

There is already an ADSL package called there. It says "Please Note: ADSL Home Surf does not support file sharing (P2P) software or binary newsgroup articles." and to me that is specifically aimed towards those people who don't want to download stuff from Kazaa. As for the illegal media, the stuff I download from Kazaa happens to be mostly open source which says under the GNU license system that it is legal to distribute. Sure there are people out there downloading illegal MP3's and warez but there are also innocent people who use it legitimately. Thanks.
N/A

>but there are also innocent people who use it legitimately. Thanks.

Quite right Jason. One reason I chose the package I did was becaause binary USENET and P2P WERE supported. AND, I use them for legitimate purposes. YOU don't like it - YOU go somewhere else.

N/A

The poor sods signing up for the Home Surf service have to share the same infrastructure that's being crippled by the Pirate2Pirate users. It's not just swamping PlusNet, the whole Internet is suffering because of it. I'd be interested to know what GNU stuff is only available on KaZaa? Any GNU stuff I need (usually Linux related) I d/l from FTP or HTTP sites - much faster than using P2P........ If a developer has GNU software to distribute, they shouldn't be afraid of sticking it on their own website / ftp server. Either way, if you look at what's actually being shared, you're in a very small minority of P2P users.

> http://www.plus.com/product_picker.html#anchorpoint4760
>
> There is already an ADSL package called there. It says "Please Note: ADSL Home Surf does not support file sharing (P2P) software or binary newsgroup articles." and to me that is specifically aimed towards those people who don't want to download stuff from Kazaa. As for the illegal media, the stuff I download from Kazaa happens to be mostly open source which says under the GNU license system that it is legal to distribute. Sure there are people out there downloading illegal MP3's and warez but there are also innocent people who use it legitimately. Thanks.

jlpappin
Grafter

Sometimes the smallest of open source packages cannot be downloaded from websites because they get so damn popular the website ends up crippled. Also sourceforge tend to be more than a little picky nowadays. I think it is awesome that P2P exists because anyone can distribute their own code. I have a friend who is part of a band who were getting no publicity. So we stuck their stuff on Kazaa and it spread around. Nothing illegal there are they were his tracks and had no copyright issues. Anyone unable to afford to run their own webserver or buy domain names can rely on P2P. I accept we are in a monority but the solution is for the P2P people to sort out their software. Not the ISP to stop us innocent people from sharing legit stuff.
N/A

i use p2p i use dc++ anyone else use this

this is one of the main reasons i choose the package i did

hmm and you are trying to disallow this when it says we are allowed to do it (p2p that is)
some people exchange music they have made eg with record decks underground music which isnt copyrighted

big 200-300 megabyte files to each other and i have seen bigger files 1 gig etc

so thottleing us would only tell use you donot need our bussiness
i have seen many other isp's offering deal for adsl

free one months trials etc

many thanks
chrisSmiley
N/A

> Any users who are not happy with this should be allowed to get out of their contracts early - freeing up even more bandwidth for legitimate use.
>

Whats stopping you from leave to a supplier who doesn't allow p2p?

There are more people who use p2p and though you would like to know. Just because u don't like something doesn't mean everybody else has to dance to your tune.

But if you are on a mission on stopping p2p..good luck to you.

jlpappin
Grafter

> i use p2p i use dc++ anyone else use this
>
> this is one of the main reasons i choose the package i did
>
> hmm and you are trying to disallow this when it says we are allowed to do it (p2p that is)
> some people exchange music they have made eg with record decks underground music which isnt copyrighted
>
> big 200-300 megabyte files to each other and i have seen bigger files 1 gig etc
>
> so thottleing us would only tell use you donot need our bussiness
> i have seen many other isp's offering deal for adsl
>
> free one months trials etc
>
> many thanks
> chrisSmiley

Tried DC++ but can never find what I am searching for.
N/A

> big 200-300 megabyte files to each other and i have seen bigger files 1 gig etc
>
> so thottleing us would only tell use you donot need our bussiness

Quite true, if you're regularly downloading 100's of MB of data PlusNet are probably making a loss on your account so they'd be happy to see you go.

N/A

I do empathise with you on this, that's why throttling rather than blocking is the way forward. That way, people sharing reasonably sized files <10MB could still do so, it would just take a bit longer if they wanted to do it at a peak time. The trottling could be dynamic, so it would use a proportion of the available bandwidth & therefore speed up off peak.....

> Sometimes the smallest of open source packages cannot be downloaded from websites because they get so damn popular the website ends up crippled. Also sourceforge tend to be more than a little picky nowadays. I think it is awesome that P2P exists because anyone can distribute their own code. I have a friend who is part of a band who were getting no publicity. So we stuck their stuff on Kazaa and it spread around. Nothing illegal there are they were his tracks and had no copyright issues. Anyone unable to afford to run their own webserver or buy domain names can rely on P2P. I accept we are in a monority but the solution is for the P2P people to sort out their software. Not the ISP to stop us innocent people from sharing legit stuff.

N/A

The fact is by throttling bandwidth on P2P networks ISP's stand to lose customers, whatever the purpose of using the programs. Many people who have flocked to broadband have done so to share large files. If it is just web browsing speed you are after then I believe an ISDN package would suit you better. Companies who advertise broadband products for home users know that the nice, happy dandy world of broadband where only games and web browsing and self created file sharing does not exist. It will be interesting to see how the customer base of the ISP which has now restricted its P2P bandwidth behaves.

Asim.
N/A

>I do empathise with you on this, that's why >throttling rather than blocking is the way >forward. That way, people sharing reasonably >sized files <10MB could still do so, it would >just take a bit longer if they wanted to do it at >a peak time. The trottling could be dynamic, so >it would use a proportion of the available >bandwidth & therefore speed up off peak.....

Surely the above is the way forward - a compromise for both parties.
N/A

Oh stop moaning man.
people get broadband for the very purpose of high transfer, streaming media, p2p etc..

Don't be a Mary Whitehouse and try spoil peoples enjoyment just because you don't like it.

I'm singed up on the 23.99 deal and i have already paid my connection fee. I expect to be able to use p2p or stream some media when ever i want. thats why i pay lots of money for broadband.

If you throttle someone connection then thats unfair. people who don't require high bandwidth stay on 56k modems. if you just are going to use it for email and web browsing then you don't need b/band.

blah blah blah.
I thought Mary Whitehouse died years ago.. sighs.

I pay PlusNet plus other broadcast companies PLUS royalties.. £5 per month, then a further £20 and a further £8 to spotlife.
If i want to stream (upload) some media now and again, big deal im paying for it.

Anyway at the moment PlusNet have been 'throttling' the upstream, they havent said they have, but i have been having problems uploading anylonger than a few mins for 3 weeks now. its all been reported to them. but im no further forward.

Ok so once again:

The 56K deal = for users who use email and surf.
and so a bit of light downloading.

The Surf ADSL = more or less the same, but more bandwidth to download and surf faster.

The Home ADSL package: To do all the above, plus access P2P, binary.. etc.. you pay for it, you should be able to use it.
If PlusNet don't want us to use things they wouldn't provide this deal in the first place.

And no problem, if they decide at a later date to throttle things, then i will do to Nildram or Telewest who will allow me to get what i pay for.
No big deal.

Anyway end of subject. not looking for fights.
just expressing my opinion.

--
Jason
=====
N/A

Forgot to say, i use for streaming media.
so i hardly download.
I'm more intrested in uploading.

If you throttle a connection to a media server, it drops all connections. thus rendering it useless. it has to remain constant. +++ streaming ++++
constant not stop and start.

So throttle is no good either. throttle the downloads all they want, if the pipes are being hogged far too much. but not upstream.

Upstream really doesnt effect everyone elses connections anyway. not the way i use it.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Well, whilst I don't want to criticise the legit users of P2P, I still think it should be barred.

Have a look at this article:
http://rtnews.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/tech/RTGAM/20020906/gtcybsept6/Technology/tech...

Its not the sharing that's the problem, but the P2P programs themselves.

Perhaps throttling the heavy bandwidth users would be a better option. I don't think charging them extra will really work fundamentally. This only legitimises heavy bandwidth use, and frankly, I can clog bandwidth easily by downloading files from web sites anyway.