cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is so frustraiting! Help?

N/A

Ok firstly let me say that I am a tad confused as yesterday 4pm I received the PN email that I'm about to be upgraded to the up to 8mb sservice but from what I csn see ive been on it already for about a month. So anyway..

I was stable on a sync speed of between 3000kbps and about 3700kbps (up and down between those numbers generally) and was happily downloading with a data rate of 3000kbps.

About 5days ago I realised that at around 7-8am I was able to sync at about 1000kbps higher than my previous best, at about 4700kbps.

The next evening I was surprised to find I was on a dta rate of 4000 and this got me very excited..though it didn't last long as the next day I was back at 3000.

I think probably the day after I was getting bad sync speeds of between 2500kbps and 3000kbps when generally it was about 3500kbps and as a result my data rate dropped to 2500kbps, and the next day the same happened but it was a little worse and I got a data rate of 2000 (what I'm on now). RIGHT NOW I'm connected at 2900kbps with a data rate of 2000kbps.

NOW this brings me to the main reason of my post.

Generally between around 4pm and 7am I get my "general" sync speed (2900kbps - 3700kbps) but as said before from about 7am-4pm I was getting syncs of about 4500kbps - 4700kbps.

Now earlier today I done some testing and I used the bt test socket and to my shock my sync speed jumped from 4500kbps to 5700kbs !!! This of course means there is something dodgy with the internal wireing. I found a page on the net about only having wires 2 and 5 in the sockets and that sorted it, was getting the much better sync speed now without using the test soket.

But this brings me to my MAIN point.. WHY do I get such awesome sync speeds between 7am-4pm but terrible sync speeds between 4pm and 7amHuh

I know that its probably normal for sync speeds to vay during peak times due to noise etc etc but not improving untill 7AM and then being fine till 4PM? hardly peak times that...

Can anybody shed some light onto what could be causing this and if there is anything that can be done (be it through BT).. It's so frustraiting that I can get such awesome sync speeds between those times but because BT doesn't udate increses untill 3DAYS and decreases within 75mins it means I will never get a chance to use the better speeds. If increses updted as fast as decreases then it would be fine.

Sorry for the massive post but I felt it would be better to explain everything in detail.

Thanks!!

PLEASE HELP Cry Cry

Edit:

Stats as of 6:35am

BTW might i also add that since doing what i did to the boxes ( removing the other wires except 2+5) the down noise margin has changed from 6dB+/-to 9dB - 15dB.. though I didn't see it at that untill about midnight but I will keep an eye on it.
10 REPLIES
Nocturne
Grafter

If I've followed this correctly I think you are able sync higher in the morning than in the evening.

The Signal to Noise Ratio tends to deteriorate on most lines during the evening and is typically higher during the day. This relates to electrical interference, which you can often do nothing about, and not network traffic.

If your SNR varies significantly, which I think it may, this could account for the variation you are seeing. A SNR drop of 3 to 4 dB equates to 1 Mbps of speed.

Ideally if you can log your Router Stats you may well see this pattern.

There are free programmes available to monitor stats including Netgear Routers if thats what you are using [just a guess].
shellsong
Grafter

A SNR drop of 3 to 4 dB equates to 1 Mbps of speed.

More likely to equate to a 25-30% drop in speed, whatever that may be, ie 1Mbps at 4Mbps or 2Mbps at 8Mbps
Nocturne
Grafter

Thanks for that Shellsong.

Something which I was not too certain of and why I tried to hedge my bets a bit.
N/A

Well basically I was on 3000kbps data rate (bras) with sync speeds of roughly 3300kbps - 3600kbps stable for about a week before it started geting funky (data rate(bras) dropping to 2500 then 2000) and at that time i realised that most mornings at about 7/8am untill about 3pm i get 1000kbps better sync (from 3500 to 4500) but then i tried via test socket and it went from 4700kbps to 5700kbps so there was dogy wireing (which i fixed and it was 5300-5700kbps thru test socket or not then).

There is a better QUICKER/SHORTER version lol sorry i know that post was huge...

I only live 1.8km as the crow flies from my exchange and feel I should get better speeds!

SO BASICALLY most mornings 7am till around 3pm i sync at around 5500kbps but from 3pm onwards its 3000kbps if im lucky.

And yes I use Netgear DG834 Router
N/A

dont suppose you can post a link to that page that instructed you on wires 2 + 5 at the socket could you please?

Thx
N/A

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

goto step4

Doing this gave me the same performance as the test scoket (5400-5700kbps) where before it was 4400-4700kbps without.

If I've followed this correctly I think you are able sync higher in the morning than in the evening.

The Signal to Noise Ratio tends to deteriorate on most lines during the evening and is typically higher during the day. This relates to electrical interference, which you can often do nothing about, and not network traffic.

If your SNR varies significantly, which I think it may, this could account for the variation you are seeing. A SNR drop of 3 to 4 dB equates to 1 Mbps of speed.

Ideally if you can log your Router Stats you may well see this pattern.

There are free programmes available to monitor stats including Netgear Routers if thats what you are using [just a guess].

This is something else that doesn't make a lot of sence as before all this (when I was totally stable on 3meg downloads with syncs of 3400kbps - 3700kbps for 2weeks or so?) I had a noise margin reading 6dB and below with it often going to 2-3dB and even below but I assumed it was just reading wrong because my connection NEVER dropped ONCE EVER andwas happy getting 350kBps downloads rate.

Now I'm not totaly sure how it's happened but since I thought sorting the wiring my noise margin has gone from that to 10 - 15dB and I'm lucky to sync at 3000kbps most of the time, right now (8am) it has edged its way up to 3456kbps in the last hour or 2. Also not yesterday or today has it jumped up to the much higher speeds thaat it would usually do around this time 7-8am round about. this is all just too strange!!

Edit: Checked speedtest.net and I had a test from the day that my data rate actually jumped from 3000 to 4000

10/3/2006 7:03 AM GMT

The useless take-ages-to-update PlusNet data rate page even still says 4000 (ive been using the btw performance test to follow it propperly)

Nocturne
Grafter

You might like to try RouterStats

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~vwlowen/internet/files.htm

It was written for the Netgear DG834, is a standalone programme so simply run it from the folder its located in.

Simply enter your Username and password and you can log Signal to Noise Margin, sync speed etc.
This will allow you to monitor exactly what is happening.

Be wary of syncing or re-syncing too often as this may increase your Target SNM which means your maximum speed will be reduced and like me you may have considerable difficulty getting the SNM reduced again.

I'm not sure what your Target SNM is or was.
You can tell because it will be the SNM which you start with each time you connect the Router.

Not sure if I can help much more at the moment but RouterStats may help.
N/A

Umm uh oh that would make a lot of sence as i have done that many MANY TIMES ( resyncing over an over and overn again) and before I always had 6dB every connect but now (last 2days) its been 15dB and for the last 2 mornings i didn't gt the much faster 5500kbps+ sync speed at 7/8am!

how do I get it reducedHuh

and thx for the app will try it but what you said there deffo makes sence for the last few days since seeing it jump to 15 when it was ALways 6db
Nocturne
Grafter

This is my recent post regarding trying to get my Target SNM reduced

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49256

In short CS suggest it should happen automatically although I feel their response is, shall I say 'optimistic'.

If you remain connected without losing sync for approx 14 days it may happen but as I say I'm not aware of anyone anywhere succeeding.

BT could undertake a Re-Trial but my chances of that happening following a BT fault may not be guaranteed.
In your circumstances ie no obvious BT fault to cause the rise in SNM the chances I suspect are a fair bit less.

Its basically BT making the rules to suit themselves. Following problems it can be extremely difficult to get things back to where they were even if was caused by BT in the first place.

When you feel you have evrything at your end in order you could raise a Ticket and hope for the best.

Good Luck
N/A

14days ffs what are the deal with bt? 3days for an increase but 75min for a decrease? before my snr went up, if increases were to be 75min aswell then I could have got 7am-3pm of 5000kbps data rate... 3days pfffff!

well anyway I raised a ticket with pn about 10mins ago about something else but to do with adsl max and i mentioned my snr target going up from 6 to 15 because of me stupidly rappidly resyncing and asked if it was possible to go thru the training period again....just wait and see eh :/