cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is bad isnt it?

N/A

This is bad isnt it?

I have a 512k ADSL connection this is my speed test results which i think are bad Im sure it wasnt like this before all the recent plusnet problems.

Communications
234.2 kilobits per second

Storage
28.6 kilobytes per second

1MB file download
35.8 seconds

Info
test type Downstream Test v3 (605 KB idt type)
test was run 5:39CST Nov 17, 2002
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: This is bad isnt it?

Remember these speed tests are dependant on loads of factors not just your connection speed, just cos you get a poor speed in a test doesn't mean its a problem with plusnet. Here's three tests from different servers all done within a couple of minutes and everyones different. Don't rely on one test and don't get hung up on its results. If you continually get poor speeds then its likely you've got a problem which may be your setup/setting or maybe plusnet. The best way forward then is to post the URL result of the tweak test (www.dslreports.com/tweaks)and also post a tracert. Someone will advise you then based on the results.

There's no doubt that some people are having problems with Plusnet. Those aside I guess that most of the problems with speed are still down to peoples own settings.

How about the Megapath upload speed eh, if only!! Apparently this is down to a bug in the Java coding and depends on what os your using. I've had this over 600kbps on occasions.

linkline LA speedtest
2002-11-17 09:13:49 EST: 449 / 237
Your download speed : 449467 bps, or 449 kbps.
A 54.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 237107 bps, or 237 kbps.

megapath CA speedtest
2002-11-17 09:15:36 EST: 455 / 380
Your download speed : 455357 bps, or 455 kbps.
A 55.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 380228 bps, or 380 kbps.

Adslguide speedtest
Downstream 471 Kbps (58.9 KB/sec) 541 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 278 Kbps (inc. overheads

N/A

RE: This is bad isnt it?

check out the article DRTCP? a few lines down..Its worked for others and it works for me.......having done some research now, I`m finding out more about how the whole ADSL system works(surprisd it does?)if you see the progress bar stationary while you down load, suspect somethings up!.if it wizzes by, then be happy ? it would appear that I am about 7.5 times fatser than dial-up modem and that suits me at the moment, which is not the 10x`s that is always advertised?
hope you have better results?

> I have a 512k ADSL connection this is my speed test results which i think are bad Im sure it wasnt like this before all the recent plusnet problems.
>
> Communications
> 234.2 kilobits per second
>
> Storage
> 28.6 kilobytes per second
>
> 1MB file download
> 35.8 seconds
>
> Info
> test type Downstream Test v3 (605 KB idt type)
> test was run 5:39CST Nov 17, 2002
>