cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of leaving PlusNet

N/A

hi all,

Since i signed my BB plus upto 8mb last year, i have never attained a speed of upto 512 kbps,help assistants said that i live about 2 mile distance from my local exchange and the speed is the maximum i can get.i live in a cable area and have cable connection in my house, so i'm thinking of moving over to Virgin BB on cable.
any opinions pls?

Sad
7 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

You are currently on a 512 profile, meaning that BT think this is the maximum that your line can currently support.

Do you know what your line stats are? You can usually get these from your modem or router. If you are unsure please let us know what hardware you have and we should be able to point you in the right direction. Smiley
chrisc
Grafter

I've had a look at your account and you are on MaxDSL. A quick line test showed an attenuation of 63db which is pretty high to be honest.

As you live close to the exchange it may be your internal setup which is causing some interference and speed problems.

Make sure that you are not using any extension cables, have filters on all used telephone sockets in your premises and try with only the router connected to the phone line.

These tests need to be done for a 3 day period as your line profile will only increase if you sync with the exchange at a higher rate than you currently are for 72 hours.
N/A

I am using Bt voyager 2091 wireless router,
it is connected to the mains telephone socket in my kitchen with a filter supplieed by PlusNet. my router speed shows 54mbps but my speed test from thinkbroadband. com showed; downstream: 471.04 kpbs upstream:376.10 kpbs.

i do not have tel extensions in my house and the phone is connected to the filter.
N/A

NO more help from technical and customer service department?

VIRGIN CABLE BB HERE I COME SOON. :shock:
chrisc
Grafter

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We need to know the router stats for your connection - the details you have provided are for the wireless connection speed.

Have a look here for information on how to get the stats.

Whilst we try to help as much as possible in these forums this is not an official support route so we cannot guarantee how quickly we can respond to queries.
N/A

I clicked on the link you posted and it specifically asked me to do the following;

From the web interface http://192.168.1.1

Click Advanced
> Status
> Broadband Line
> More Information

I clicked advanced, but the options available are only;

>local network
>Internet
>IP routing
>Virtual server
>Fire wall
>Quality of service
>Port mapping

i could not locate the "status option" and the rest.My router is BT Voyager 2091.

sorry for using the forum to seek help, i have to, cos i have raised the issue in febuary through "help assistant" but received no help.
chrisc
Grafter

I've had a look in the BT wholesale order system and have been able to have a look at your router stats.

I'm guessing that you live quite a distance from the exchange as you have very high loop loss figures (63db). It seems that your line will not support speeds faster than the ones that you are getting at the present time unfortunately.

Then only thing i can suggest is trying to connect directly into the test socket behind the BT master socket face plate and remove all other devices from the line.

This may improve your speeds but your line is unlikely to be able to support much higher than currently.