cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thicko question

N/A

Thicko question

Why can't the internet be broadcast as a radio or television signal. By that I mean land based, not satilite
Teletext I believe, uses a few spare lines that you can't see on a tv screen.
So surely a dedicated signal could carry far more information.
I realise that the upload part would still need a phone line, and each page requested by a user would require it's own separate signal, or would it?
Anyway it would solve the speed and amount of usage problems.
Just a thought.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Thicko question

Answer the following simple question and you could be rich...

There are hundreds of billions of pages on the internet. How would the transmitter know what pages to broadcast?
N/A

Thicko question

Well, it could be done somewhat similar to that of a stallite internet system. That would solve the issue of what needs to be broadcast when.

It doesn't however solve the reasons why we don't see this sort of system already.

First we need to look at how the Digital Terrestrial system works. This way we can see pre-built implimentations of what we are asking for.

Digital Terrestrial broadcasts chare the existing broadcast spectrum of television broadcast. These are the only legaly defined spectrum for this kind of use.

There are only a limited number of channels available to each region (aint sure how many), so as not to class with surounding regions. These channels must be shared between at least 4 analogue terrestrial channels.

Some regions carry as many as 7 channels. BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C5 and regional broadcasts of the BBC or C4 broadcasts (either C4 or S4C).

Leaving very few digital channels available. Each digital channel is capable of carrying 24.13Mb or 18.1Mb (depending on the channel configuration).

Digital channels are multiplexed, so that multiple channels available to the viewer, are sent down a single frequency.

The problem is OFcom states at least 90% multiplex capacity must be available for

transmission of digital programme services, Qualifying television services, programme-related services or relevant technical services (i.e. conditional access data)

Leving either 2.413Mb or 1.81Mb available for other data service (such and internet traffic).

In itself, these are only small amounts, but bear in mind how many people live ina TV broadcast footprint.

[BBC News] carried a story about damage to a transmitter, causing it to go offline, leaving people without service.

The footprint of the Wrekin transmitter is 140,000 homes.

In available bandwidth terms, this is 140,000:1, AKA, less than 0.0176Kb/s per home.

I am sure you can see the complexity now.