Did you mean: 

The waiting game

N/A

The waiting game

ahh makes it clear thx..
14 REPLIES
N/A

The waiting game

I felt this was the best place to post, but hey, I've been wrong in the past. Regarding the 'April' changes to PlusNet:

I, like many others it seems, read the email from PlusNet regarding the changes, as speed upgrades WILL be happening in April. Since reading a few posts in the forums, I understand the misread (I always skip through documents anyway). Although PlusNet could of worded the email better to avoid idiots (like myself - actually, maybe that's too strong a word for everyone else & only applicable to me) getting the wrong end of the stick. For anyone still confused, upgrades will start being processed in April. The latest I've seen anyone (though I can't remember who) say the work should be completed is September this year. This however could be affected by BT, amongst other factors.

It would appear that a lot of users are also uncertain of what WILL happen to their account. Personally, I'm assuming one of three things will happen, a) my account will stay EXACTLY the same as before, b) my account will be the same as before, except I'll have the Fair Usage Policy [FUP] applied or c) I'll have FUP applied and I'll get a faster speed for free (well, upgraded for free, the monthly subscription will remain in force - unless I'm really lucky). Some people have been complaining about FUP, and I can see the reasons for both sides of the argument. Especially considering if "c" happened, you could in theory 'over-use' your connection faster than ever before.

On top of this confusion, some (maybe all, but they haven't posted) of the PlusNet users on 2mbit premier accounts are complaining because there's not much of a speed gain they can get, and they're likely to have FUP enforced on them. I know I wouldn't be happy in that situation, but I'm a 1mbit customer and possibly getting 2mbit for the same price as I'm paying now.

I originally signed up with PlusNet because there was no Port Address Translation [PAT] (aka Port Blocking), and their prices were very competative (this was November last year). Everything else was merely a bonus. Now, all I really care about is the lack of PAT, and the usage limits. If I have to pay more for a higher cap, so be it. I'll just weigh up the costs & benefits for me, and decide from there.

I'm a 1mbit user with an 'unlimited' (contention prohibits a truly unlimited connection, and recent (ish) abuse has caused PlusNet to warn high bandwidth users, and now impliment FUP). I also took the option to defer the setup charges over a 12 month period. From my understanding of my contract, I can opt to cancel at any time, but there will be a charge due to my defferal of the setup charges. I also may (or may not) be moving house soon, and I have to check on PlusNet's policy (some ISPs allow a minimal charge to activate ADSL on the new phone line, thereby keeping happy customers happy).

I really can't see why there's so much hysteria about the forthcoming changes to PlusNet, and I've seen one user say they're not happy about recommending PlusNet to friends. I sell products like broadband packages (although I'm prohibited by work from promoting PlusNet in any way), and I'll happily tell people (out of working hours) about PlusNet, and explain about the changes and the confusion. In my opinion, PlusNet have managed the changes poorly, but when was the last time you saw any company change all it's product lines and do a brilliant job of it?

As for the people complaining about the poor customer service from PlusNet, I have some advice. Wait until the early hours of the morning before calling technical support. It takes them a while to answer the phone (give them a break, most people are sleeping at that time!), but when they pickup, they actually have people answering the phone that can understand you fully, and appear to know what they're doing as well. I've been with a lot of ISPs in the past, and there's nothing worse than a CS operative sat in front of an 'expert application' demanding you do what you already tried 30mins before you even considered calling them!
However, some of the PlusNet staff posting on the forums should really think before they post, they haven't exactly held the company in the best light (and no, I wont be quoting should any of you request it, you get paid for talking on the forums, spend some time looking around).

In conclusion, I'm quite happy to play the waiting game, and see what may come of all the hype. A few months down the line, if I decide I'm unhappy with what PlusNet have actually done, as opposed to what we haven't even had confirmed yet, then, and only then, will I vote with my feet. Of course, my decision may be brought forward by the fact that I'm looking at moving house, so I'll start shopping around for deals now, but I'm happy about paying the 'early contract cancellation fee' just the same as I am about the 'downgrade fee' (because I understand the commercial implications of why it exists). I acknowledge that in those few months of waiting I may loose out on money, but looking at it realistically, it's not going to be more than £30. I can live with that.

-------
Everything written herein is a personal opinion, as is almost everything on any forum. Although text may be copied from here & quoted elsewhere, it is not and may not be construed as part of any contract between any parties whatsoever. Any quotes taken from this post, or any other by myself, are open to interpretation of the person quoting it, and therefore may be entirely inaccurate in terms of context.
N/A

The waiting game

I also was confused about the April changing proposal - thank you for clarifying for all of us lesser mortals Smiley

As far as this new policy is concerned I am a big winner - I'm a small home user on a standard broadband speed. So I get speed and the limits don't effect me.

I would like to point out in my browsing investigation into the changes that the new system will run on allowed downloads so you can downgrade if you use no-where near what you're allowed. So you can use this "waiting game" to see just how much you do have.

Try to make the most out of this. And if you want unlimited downloads - switch to Business type. They are un-effected by these changes.
N/A

Busniess Vs Plus

Thanks for pointing out about the business accounts, but for my exact connection (with a lower contention), with no FUP, that's an extra £10/month.

I'm seriously considering the Broadband Plus options (though I'm unsure if I can actually convert to that type). By the looks, Plus accounts have no FUP, and get traffic shaped at peak times. It'll cost me £3 extra/month to upgrade to a 2mbit Plus account. I like the idea of that!

As for you being a winner because you're a small home user, I'm a home user as well, but I also run services, which is why I hate the idea of PAT. Services could also, in theory, be impacted by FUP should my connection be restricted for 'over-use'. I'll just have to monitor it carefully for now.

I'll do some more research, and call customer support if I need to, but the Plus accounts do look good.

-------
Everything written herein is a personal opinion, as is almost everything on any forum. Although text may be copied from here & quoted elsewhere, it is not and may not be construed as part of any contract between any parties whatsoever. Any quotes taken from this post, or any other by myself, are open to interpretation of the person quoting it, and therefore may be entirely inaccurate in terms of context.
N/A

BB+ accounts..

OK, so maybe the Broadband Plus accounts aren't for me. Since I'm running services, and Broadband Plus comes with a dynamic IP only, it would be worse than a 1GB cap!

On the other hand, my research has shown another ISP, whom will not charge a setup fee due to myself migrating (though PlusNet would charge a release fee in my circumstance). This ISP is offering 'unmetered' 2mbit ADSL on a static IP, with PHP enabled webspace and domain features, starting at £22/month. the word "unmetered" is in inverted commas, because I haven't seen an ISP yet that wont contact you to ask politely that you dont download 200Gb/month. There's also no PAT performed, and in fact, their website states "...with no limitations or download restrictions." What's the catch? It's a two year contract. However, they do give the option for a 3 month contract (which costs £28/month for the 2mbit option), and allow you to move house during your contract for free.

It would mean loosing some of the nice features like SSH access, but I administer a Linux based server and have SSH access to other computers on similar connections.

So, the deal as I see it is:
+ Wait for an upgrade to 2mbit ADSL with PlusNet, and keep my monthly costs the same. I may/may not have to pay a regrade if I decide to change caps, but from what I've read, this only applies if PlusNet would loose money on my decision. OR...
+ Pay the early release fee (either £75 or the remainder of the initial setup fee - I can't remember & will have to contact PlusNet Customer Services closer to any decision) to get my Migration Auth Code [MAC] and try the ISP I've recently spotted.

I'll be nice to the PlusNet staff and keep the exact ISP I'm thinking of from the general user population, but I will say that the search facilities of ADSLGuide are very handy Smiley

As for monitoring my bandwidth usage, I'm currently at 10.42Gb, and 7 days INTO the month. I'm a third of the default cap, and a quarter of the month. I'd call that medium use, lets see what my next bank statement says the payments are (£21.99/month plus approx £5/month for the defered setup fee is what I'm presuming, and the other ISP are offering unmetered 2mbit for £2/month more)...

I think a bit more waiting is in order, as is a bit more research. If I can find one ISP worthy of further investigation within 24hrs of starting, there must be more products out there, somewhere.

-------
N/A

The waiting game

Well thats even more confusing lol

So what happens this month ? if we aint been upgraded (ie faster speeds) then there is no fup in place?

I assume the above since Plusnet have not been in the slightest clear over this. I assume they will send an letter/email explaining the terms/procedure properly untill then ill carry on downloading and playing online gaming as much as I want and when I want.

Am still gonna request a MAC code....
N/A

The waiting game

Highlander,

The FUP and Upgrades are independant of each other, and the FUP will be implemented regardless of whether your connection has been upgraded or not.
N/A

FUP implimentation

I completely agree with highlander, and from a legal stand point, it's quite clear as well.

Until PlusNet users are informed in writing that the Terms & Conditions of their individual contracts have changed, PlusNet will find it very difficult to legally enforce FUP. Although I have seen the date 11th April floating around, I'm sure that PlusNet will email all affected customers.

I also check the T&C on the website almost everyday (or rather, a cronjob does, and emails me any output from diff)...
N/A

The waiting game

Yep thats the thing Plusnet aint at all been clear about this...

A letter written in 1 or 2 sentences and in clear understandly English in a written form is required.

And goodluck to trying the above cos I dont fancy having his job Wink

Plusnet will find most people are carrying on as normal with there service and by the end of the month be quoted £75+ quid ?

Theres gonna be alot of court action/already Mad Madder customers on route....

I only just found out from guy at work telling me nah u cant download anything during the day otherwise once u gone past the 30gig cap u get £1.50 per gig charge.

Maybe the above could be englished out and used for explaining to customers instead?

Smiley

Anyhow I hope I get my MAC code soon and I can just move on to what ADSL technology should really be, the people that want to be restricted/limited can enjoy the 56K dark ages ill prefer to stay in the latest century.
N/A

The waiting game

Yeap April 11th looks like the right date cos on the usage summary it says month peroid till April 10th so after that is the month and when the 30gig cap starts I assume.

Anyhow not to fussed will carry on as usual till they hurry up with mac code Wink
N/A

Re: FUP implimentation

Until PlusNet users are informed in writing that the Terms & Conditions of their individual contracts have changed, PlusNet will find it very difficult to legally enforce FUP.

I'm not sure that is correct, I think the notice they have given both on the forum and on e-mails is enough.
N/A

The waiting game

sorry i dont use forms much but stil , im a high user , but am i gona start to be getting the 30gb cap before my upgrade speed begins? also is that right for every gig past 30 i get chaged 1.50 ? rip of that is !
N/A

The waiting game

Gadgetboy:
I agree, PlusNet have given notice both in emails and forum posts. However, these notices only state that a change is going to happen. For them to legally enforce a change in policy, they have to announce a date when such a change will come into effect. As mentionned by Highlanger, no date has been given, other than in the unofficial forums (I'd expect a post in the Service Announcements at the very least). Here's a few examples from official channels (such as Emails and Service Announcement forum):
"Within the next couple of weeks..."
"You will be individually notified a few days prior to speed upgrades on your service."
"Further wider-scale trials of high-speed services are expected from summer onwards. "
"Work to complete these regrades is currently underway and is set to continue over the coming months."
"From April..."
"...introduction of a fair usage policy for our residential broadband services, which will apply from April 2005."
I've gone as far back as March 30th to find those quotes in the forums, and I only received two emails, dated 16th and 18th Feb . Can you see a definate date in anything since those dates? If so, can you let the rest of us know where it is?
Legally PlusNet must inform users via "official channels" (ie where users' cant comment - eg Service Announcements forum) of a definate date when the policies change. I have no real objection to them implimenting the changes, but they can certainly expect me not to pay the fees if they dont officially let everyone know that FUP has been implimented. Once I'm notified it's in effect, I'll happily pay should I go over my cap.
Sorry, but you're a tutorial team member, and while you may/may not be on the PlusNet payroll, because of your responsability, I feel you should have more of a clue about what goes on with PlusNet. So please, give me a reason to stay with what I have found to be a good ISP thus far ( dont bother with arguments about costs or SSH/Webspace - I've stated my requirements in this thread, and I've done a lot of research over the last few days).

kappain2k04:
From my understanding, all Premier and Lite accounts will have by default a 30GB cap imposed. When this is imposed is still unclear to me. However, you can opt to change the cap via the 'upgrade account' facility, and you can even change to a different type of account (like I mentionned the Broadband Plus accounts). However, my best advice, is to do a LOT of reading around before you decide anything (be that to continue regardles as myself & Highlander are doing - until a notice of definate change is given, or to err on the side of caution & restrict your use, or to change ISPs). As for the price per GB, I was informed in an email dated 16th Feb, "PlusNet's Broadband PAYG products (formerly known as "Lite") will also be extended to include 4Mb and 8Mb speeds from April. At £14.99 per month, and £1.50 per Gb thereafter," So if you're a "high user" on a Lite account, then yes, it'll cost £1.50/Gb over the cap you choose. However, if you're on a Premier account, you will have to violate FUP three months consecutively in order to see any effect. Once you do this, your bandwidth for the fourth month will be 150k downstream. If you are a Premier account user, I suggest you read https://portal.plus.net/features/usage_guide.shtml. That should answer any questions you have about the Premier FUP.
Also, my month on the usage display, ends on the 29th April. I guess that's just due to whenever you signed up with PlusNet originally.

-------
N/A

The waiting game

dirobertson

Quote -
kappain2k04:
From my understanding, all Premier and Lite accounts will have by default a 30GB cap imposed.
End of Quote

Not sure that is correct. Lite (now PAYG) users have 1Gb for the £14.99 and pay for extra Gbs at £1 each prepaid or £1.25 non prepay.

Premier accounts start at £21.99 - 30Gb, £29.99 - 50Gb and £39.99 - 75Gb.
These are for Peak downloads only. Downloads at Off Peak hours aren't counted and uploads are not included in the Fair Usage at any time.
N/A

Corrections

Apologies about stating Lite accounts get a 30Gb cap. I'm a premier account holder, and wrongly took it for granted that the two account types would be merged. Also the cost per Gb I stated is accurate as of 16th Feb (the email PlusNet sent me) was quoted direct from PlusNet. If that's changed since the 16th Feb, then again, I was wrong Shockedops: . However, I haven't checked the prices for Lite (PAYG) accounts.

I also posted a link to the actual FUP according to PlusNet, to try and avoid any ambiguity in the forums.

-------