cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The truth about slow speeds.. finally!

N/A

After weeks of messing around trying to figure out why my BB+ was VERY slow during peak times, I seem to have finally found an honest person at plusnet that has answerd my question.

Your account is broadband plus which is designed as a entry level product.

In the recent months our traffic management has not been running to the products design specifications. As a result of this Broadband plus users have been allocated too much of the network capacity, which has had a detrimental effect on other products such as Broadband premier and Pay as you go based on the specifications and pricing of each product we believe we have now balanced the network to ensure a fair amount is allocated to each product to ensure the product runs to design.

Because of these changes broadband plus users may see a degrade in services during peak times to what they were used to when the management was less stringent. We have carried out the necessary maintenance on the platform and we will monitor the platform and await feedback from our customer base and user group.

Users who download regularly or use the services heavily are recommended to either upgrade to Premier or Pay as you go with an allowance to keep costing to a minimal.

We are soon to review our pricing and management strategy when we recieve the new wholesale costing plans from BT and will re-asses the platform at this point.

So basically... all the speed tests, blaming the bt exchange etc..etc.. was all pretty pointless. I bought a crap product, and should be spending more cash with a crap company that clearly doesn't want to keep their customers happy.

So i think i'll be taking my £14.99 a month and spend it on a product that "does what it says on the tin" and doesn't fall foul of ridiculously flawed traffic shaping policies.

Any suggestions?
22 REPLIES
N/A

Explains it all to me too!

Just migrated to Zen, MAC code from PN on 13th, migrated into Zen 19th...called tech support about a couple of initial speed issues and got through in less than a minute.

I was paying £22 and now £24 so that bit extra looks to be the difference!
Community Veteran

Hi beached

The forum rules ask that CSR names are not included in forum posts when quoting ticket responces, could I suggest that you replace it with the ticket number. This way if one of the comms team want to take look at your ticket they can find it easily.

Chilly
N/A

Erm.. sorry but im not sure what a CRS name is. Just let me know and i'll remove it Smiley
N/A

That explains a lot

Well that explains a lot.

It appears that I too have been banging my head against a brick wall for a few months. My typical months usage is only 500mb, so I’ve not been abusing the service but it looks as though I may have been penalized as typical download rates have been only 100k to 500k, although it did flash up to 2.9MB once last week. If someone had told me I could get a better service by paying more, I might have considered it, instead I have had a lot of hassle and wasted time chasing rainbows. I’m sorry I liked PlusNet, they gave good service for a few years, but things appear to have changed. I have my MAC code and today I switch to Zen (if all goes to plan). Maybe it won’t be any quicker (pessimists are never disappointed) but I understand they answer the phone quicker and I may get straighter answers.

Thanks PlusNet, you still have a good reputation in the press, I do hope things get better for you and your customers.
Community Veteran

CSR is Customer Service Representative.
You have left their name on the end of your quotation.

If you are having problem on BB+ it may be worth taking a look at Jelv post here;
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52795

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: The truth about slow speeds.. finally!

So i think i'll be taking my £14.99 a month and spend it on a product that "does what it says on the tin" and doesn't fall foul of ridiculously flawed traffic shaping policies.

If your 8am to midnight usage is less than 2GB per month, PAYG does exactly what it says on the tin. All traffic is Gold and hence is pretty well full speed all day - I see better than 5000Kbps speeds using binary Usenet during the evening peak.

The speed of Plusnet's PAYG will certainly be better than any Entanet based ISP who have started slowing speeds down as far as 2M for all users during the peak periods.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Hmmm. Then why does the product page for both residential and business PAYG products now say
- Actual download speeds can reach a maximum of 7Mb, with an average speed of 5-6Mb. BT Wholesale estimates that 78% of customers will achieve download speeds of 4Mb and above.
- It is likely that speeds no greater than 2Mb will be achieved at peak usage times due to contention in our network and our suppliers' networks.

I switched to PAYG last week and peak times are now consistently around the 2MB mark, which makes me strongly suspect throttling. Not that I have any evidence of course...
N/A

I switched to PAYG last week and peak times are now consistently around the 2MB mark, which makes me strongly suspect throttling. Not that I have any evidence of course...

Just curious - isn't 2 Mbps good enough for just about anything?

The point I'm making is - I think people get too hung up on whether or not they are getting their max possible speed.

In reality, there's little real need for anything more than 2 Mbps for most people - infact just 1 Mbps is enough for a lot of people.

Personally, I think that usage allowance/cost is more of an issue than ultimate speed (once you're getting 1~2 Mbps).

The problem with BB+ is that the speed during peak hours is a ridiculous 128 Kbps for a lot of people at the moment - so speed really is a huge issue there.
elton
Grafter

I've been with Plusnet for 5 years, and when I signed up, I signed up on the standard broadband package; there was no "Premier" service.

What does 'Premier' mean? Would you call a tin opener that could open a tin in 30 seconds a "Premier Tin Opener". Would you call a tin opener that needed 20000 turns of the handle and open a tin in 1 hour a "Standard Tin Opener"?

Somewhere down the line they've changed the rules, so now I'm on some kind of 'standard' package, and my download speeds have plummeted to a useless level. It's as if I'd bought a 7 series Beemer and they've come round my house and swapped it for a 316 without telling me.

Who, other than a telecomm company could get away with this kind of nonsense? As soon as I've found a suitable alternative I'll be off. I'd rather pay another company more for what I'm getting now than continue to pay PlusNet after this behaviour. It's just rubbish.
N/A

..we believe we have now balanced the network to ensure a fair amount is allocated to each product to ensure the product runs to design.
...<snip>...
We have carried out the necessary maintenance on the platform and we will monitor the platform and await feedback from our customer base and user group.

Personally, I think they are a bunch of bumbling idiots (and that's putting it politely)...

1. First they blame the issue on everything possible cause - except themselves.

2. Next they tell people that it may be a problem with their systems - and their engineers are working on it.

3. Now they seem to be saying that it's actually because of their improved network traffic balancing!

This is what their own speed tester tells me...

Your current speed is: 126.00kbps

Our results show that your current speed is below the level we would expect for your product..

Idiots :x
elton
Grafter

Your account is broadband plus which is designed as a entry level product.

And another thing: since when has a service been described as a 'product'? Answer: when it can't, by any logical determination, be described as a service.

I suppose that's honesty, but it's a shame you have to read between the lines.
N/A

it dosent matter which package you go with on plus net it will still be appaling speeds because BT HAVE BROUGHT OUT PUS NET thats why you are getting rubbish speeds
N/A

I agree but why do people stay !!!! my speeds were very good from the word go but from about Nov last year they have fallen to unusable levels at times. I am supposed to be on 8Mb and last night I was down to 76k. I have recently started to download a large file using bittorent, and plusnet dont like it, so they have cut my download speeds down to ridiculous figures like 3 to 6k are they stupid this only inflates the amount of traffic because it is still uploading at a higher rate, I try to restrict the upload rate to minimise the amount of usage, but because I am kept online so long I upload much more than I download. If I could download at a sensible rate like 150k as my mate on ADSL4less 512k does then I would only use half the bandwidth.
WAKE UP plusnet before everone abandons ship.
N/A

PS I am not talking about peak times either this is during the day !!!!!