cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The truth about British broadband - Sunday Times Article

geoffers
Grafter

Very revealing article from this weeks ST http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2103-2330140_1,00.html
12 REPLIES
N/A

Brilliant article, a friend saw an item on News 24 saying much the same. What a mess, how come the rest of the world is doing well? Or is it?
N/A

The only thing I don't like about that article is that they aren't dragging BT through the mud, too. But it always seems that BT are untouchable.
N/A

Imagine broadband to be like a car... you have one that is capable of 60 Mph and it is absolutely reliable, though a tad slow.

One day your garage gives you an "improved" version of the same vehicle, capable of 150 Mph and you discover that not only does it not start all the time, but 4 or 5 times a day the breaks don't work.

There would be an outcry and the manifacturers would be instructed not to sell such cars any more until the technology is sorted out. But with broadband?

I think broadband should be free until they have sorted out all the gremlins. This would make all concerned work towards finding a real solution. Now they are just tinkering at the edges!
N/A

Dead right, I posted a similar thread, http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46686&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Imagine a garage telling you to tune your car yourself, and disconnect this and that.Don't go on motorways etc.
Nocturne
Grafter

I started reading this item last night.

Before I had the chance to go to the second page I lost sync, again, followed by multiple loss of sync thereafter down to 192 kbs.

Whilst not necessarily typical it did reinforce the argument somewhat.

BT has a poor infrastructure and has implemented MaxDsl badly.
The ISP's are in a state of denial half the time.
The customer has to struggle with so called 'up to 8 Mb' which is inherently going to continue causing problems for a good many of them with lines which are not good and are unlikely to improve in the foreseeable future.
pacem
Grafter

[the article said something like] "ISPs that don't implement VoIP and other features are going to be dust."

Hah haaa! PN had better get their finger out then and do it rather than pretend.

Paul.<><
N/A

The only thing I don't like about that article is that they aren't dragging BT through the mud, too. But it always seems that BT are untouchable.

Why do you believe that BT are at fault? I would blame previous governments stopping BT investing in the infrastructure to allow others (cable) to have a technical advantage over BT to promote customers to leave BT.
N/A

[the article said something like] "ISPs that don't implement VoIP and other features are going to be dust."

Hah haaa! PN had better get their finger out then and do it rather than pretend.

Paul.<><

That was actually a quote from a PN spokesman "A PlusNet official says: “ISPs that don’t offer phone or other services will be dust in six months’ time.” "

I thought Plusnet came out quite well in that article - until I read that quote. It made them sound arrogant *and* wrong-headed.

I'd have more faith in Plusnet's future if they weren't so concerned with pushing phone services etc.

Getting the basics right should be their first priority.

The reason I joined PN in the first place was because they seemed more honest and less ludicrously ambitious in their claims than other ISPs.
N/A

Why do you believe that BT are at fault? I would blame previous governments stopping BT investing in the infrastructure to allow others (cable) to have a technical advantage over BT to promote customers to leave BT.

Because BT own 99.9% of the countries phone lines and therefore call the shots on how those phone lines are used, priced for services, technology and implimentation. If BT don't want it, we can't have it. If BT want to charge X pounds for a service, we have to pay it.

Regardless of what ISP or telephone company you are with (except in Hull) we ALL have to dance to BT's tune. That's why I blame BT.
N/A

Nail hit the head on the, or words to that affect.
shellsong
Grafter

Because BT own 99.9% of the countries phone lines and therefore call the shots on how those phone lines are used, priced for services, technology and implimentation. If BT don't want it, we can't have it. If BT want to charge X pounds for a service, we have to pay it.

Regardless of what ISP or telephone company you are with (except in Hull) we ALL have to dance to BT's tune. That's why I blame BT.

Actually this is not entirely true because Ofcom were requiring BT to charge rates that allowed LLU providers to get a foot in the door and this is historically why BT centrals cost an arm and a leg but I don't see why there is any reason why BT couldn't have used the profits gained to improve their equipment, infrastructure and broadband handling methods!
N/A

For the same reason that OFCOM stopped BT investing in optical cable infrastructure so that the cable companies have a technical advantage. BT are investing in exchange equipment I.e. 21CN which will do away with POTS completely.

To sum it up BT have had their hands tied for the last twenty years by OFTEL and OFCOM.