cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The (not so) great P2P debate

N/A

Plusnet have chosen to implement a system of shaping P2P traffic, close to the point of blocking it, for large parts of the day. Do you think that this is the best way of managing the network, or would you prefer an unshaped but hard-capped (say 2-3 Gb) service?
13 REPLIES
N/A

What do you mean by "Capped 2-3GB" Hour, Day, Week, Month, Year Huh (ooops shouldn't have suggested year)
N/A

What do you mean by "Capped 2-3GB" Hour, Day, Week, Month, Year Huh (ooops shouldn't have suggested year)

The same as things are currrently measured, i.e monthly.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

It is difficult as the P2P demand for bandwidth is infinite in theory or at least way beyond what any ISP can provide and make a profit. Do people get good P2P speeds on Pay as you go during peak hours ?

If they do then a simple change of account type is all you need.
N/A

You are aware that there is a 'hard' cap for p2p, right?
This is ontop of the shaping.

Hence doesn't it make this poll useless?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You need to re-define this poll as there should be different limits for BB+ and Premier.

For Premier the amount you suggest is probably a bit mean.

For BB+ which is described as "Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads" an appropriate limit would be 0.5GB or 1GB.

(PAYG there are no restrictions - you can use what you pay for however you like.)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

It is difficult as the P2P demand for bandwidth is infinite in theory or at least way beyond what any ISP can provide and make a profit. Do people get good P2P speeds on Pay as you go during peak hours ?

I don't know. This is not an appeal for you to carry out in depth market research. Merely speak/vote for yourself.
N/A

You are aware that there is a 'hard' cap for p2p, right?
This is ontop of the shaping.

Hence doesn't it make this poll useless?

Yes to the former and no to the latter. We have a 'notional' hard cap that in all reality can't be reached, due to the aggressive shaping that is applied. I'm suggesting a lower cap and less shaping.
N/A

You need to re-define this poll as there should be different limits for BB+ and Premier.

For Premier the amount you suggest is probably a bit mean.

A bit mean? Do you know many BB Prem customers who've been able to download 2-3 Gb via P2P in peak time recently? I suggest that you try and feel our pain :x

For BB+ which is described as "Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads" an appropriate limit would be 0.5GB or 1GB.

Sounds like that description should apply to all BB accounts, since mine isn't good for either of those.
N/A

It seems to me the biggest problem is PN moving the goal posts depending on which way the wind is blowing... Presumeably those on prem all pay the same, I think there was an allowance of 20gb per month, how is the punter to understand that it is ok that Mrs Smith with her internet phone can talk all day to her mate in Hong Kong whilst watching streaming tv or radio but not ok to download a bit of data in a reasonable time? Certainly a case of one rule for some and another rule for others.

My total usage over 3 months was 40gb, of that 3.5gb is peak time and 37.5 off peak. As I said recently on another thread I wanted a 300mb download the other day, Started at 15.45, before the magic 1600hrs and it finished at 2300hrs. That looks to me like I had use of equipment for 7 hours when I only needed it for ten minutes... Does that make any sense or am I being thick, I don't think the above figures make me into an unreasonable user, I am expected now to put up with dial up speeds and at the same time keep my mouth shut.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A bit mean? Do you know many BB Prem customers who've been able to download 2-3 Gb via P2P in peak time recently? I suggest that you try and feel our pain :x

I wasn't saying about the current situation, rather suggestions on what would be reasonable. I haven't ever seen figures for the amount of P2P used by BB+, but I'm sure there are many who are going significantly over the amount I suggested. How much bandwidth would that free if they were curtailed and would it mean a more sensible amount was possible using Premier?

I think I got this calculation right: if you were using P2P for half of the peak time (4 hours per day) at a speed of 10KBps (i.e. a steady trickle in the background) you would get just over 4GB per month. That would seem a sensible level to me.

When I said a bit mean, I did mean a bit mean, not that you were not in the right ballpark.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Isitme
Grafter

I think you missed a category out of your poll- 'I couldn't care less'. With over a 100 views and only 12 votes (to date) this seems to be the general view.

The subject of P2P has had extensive coverage in the forum recently and it seems that if you change to PAYG the problem is solved. Some members have reported very high d/l speeds using P2P on PAYG, so if you want a good speed and are prepared to pay for what you use, you know what to do. Wink
N/A

It seems to me the biggest problem is PN moving the goal posts depending on which way the wind is blowing... Presumeably those on prem all pay the same, I think there was an allowance of 20gb per month, how is the punter to understand that it is ok that Mrs Smith with her internet phone can talk all day to her mate in Hong Kong whilst watching streaming tv or radio but not ok to download a bit of data in a reasonable time? Certainly a case of one rule for some and another rule for others.

I'm on Prem and find it now ridiculous that just such a scenario as you describe above happens at Plusnet. Why should the 'fictional' Mrs Smith, who pays the same monthly fees to Plusnet as myself, get priority over myself just because I wish to download a 350meg file (for example) at peak.

I would pretty much play the game and schedule p2p to download out of peak overnight. Odd downloads if needed sooner I’d download at peak. Seemed to work well enough until the last couple of months. Suddenly I get 20gigs of peak time usage “as long as it is not p2p or usenet traffic and ftp for that matter”.

In all honesty I’ve found Plusnets peak time service in fast decline of late. Not only p2p but ftp and even general web browsing has become a little too much like dial up for my liking. It’s with regret that I’m moving away next week. I've been on Broadband Premier since around April 2005 and has been on the whole a top notch product here. Things have slipped a little too far Sad
N/A

here here rico101, a crazy situation that we are in. Why should we be fighting a war with Plus net over how we use broadband. Its plainly clear that PlusNET cannot cope with the number of users. Its advertising is so out of sync now with what its really supplying and it's getting into the territory fit for Watchdog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_computers.shtml

I for one am so fed up. I don't want to download loads every month, but I do expect to be able to download a chunk of stuff quickly if I need to (just like we used to be able to do). I find it an insult that Plus net sits on the fence and does nothing. They clearly deserve to be ditched.

Being capped and limited on a premier service is a p*ss take. I used to be on 2mb for a year with Plus NET and ok, only getting 230kb/s or so, but wow, it was reliable. You could even be rest assured most of the time that if you couldn't hit that, you knew it was the site/service unable to provide the throughput, and u didn't have to worry that there was "meddling" going on at the ISP.

I'm leaving soon, as its really affecting my work. Incidentally Rico, who are you going to go to?

Giles