cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 24MBit speed circus

N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

Since some ISP's have no unveiled 24MBit options, what is PlusNet's response to this going to be? Is there any timetable for PlusNet's own 24MBit service?
17 REPLIES
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

there's no timetable for 4 and 8Mb, so i should think this is unlikely :lol:

(expect them to begin selling the 24Mbit 'service' shortly)

edited for clarity.
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

they already are selling the service -- when its not even publicaly available
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

i mean plusnet will start selling the 24Mbit service shortly, before they even can begin supplying the 4 and 8Mbit products they have already sold.

it was a joke.
LiamM
Grafter

The 24MBit speed circus

lol 'Premier Upto 24Mb'. I mean, it's not available yet, but it's bound to be one day isnt it?
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

on plusnet's current pricing scheme you will only have to pay an extra £38 a month for the up to 24Mbit service, to avoid a £15(i think) upgrade fee when the product finally becomes available.
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

Does anybody know of a tool that will tell you how far you live from your local telephone exchange?
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
i found this one the best, salahuddin. put in your postcode and phone number, click check then then locality.

the distances are as the crow flies and do not take into account the path of the relevant cabling, so this is a minimum distance.
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

Thanks sinwave, that is pretty helpful. Since I know exactly where my exchange is I may just try walking to it by following my telephone line.
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

Interesting idea, since I'm about half a mile from my exchange is this feasible.
I suppose one problem could be if you are on a loop that starts and ends at the exchange you will not know what end you are at, assuming this is how it works.
Community Veteran

The 24MBit speed circus

Also what if the line is undergorund?
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

When I key my phone number into one of the websites that is promoting 24mbit they say my exchange should be enabled in January! Being just 900 metres from the exchange hopefully I should be able to get a good speed.

8mb from PlusNet would be the minimum to tempt me to stay but hopefully they will announce 24mbit eventually.
Community Veteran

The 24MBit speed circus

8mb from plus is entirely dependent upon BT or finding and LLU partner :-(
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

Not quite.

8Mb from PlusNet is reliant on BT releasing the MaxDSL product.

Speeding up this process of releasing such a product, can be down to PlusNet fidning a LLU partner (or starting their own LLU, which is unlikely, given the small footprint this will provide).

24Mb speeds from PlusNet is also dependant on them finding a LLU partner, or BT releasing their own wholesale ADSL2+ product, which given the length of time they have taken to get MaxDSL out, could be some time away.
N/A

The 24MBit speed circus

From what I can figure out - one of the ISP's introducing 24mbit seems to be a new player in the market. They must be hoping to get into the 24mbit market early and hope they get a large customer base quickly. I will not rush to another provider because I do think PlusNet are reliable (although I was very disappointed about how 8mb was advertised) and a new ISP is a total unknown. But it will be interesting to see how this progresses over the coming months.