cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks for the tip

ESL
Grafter

Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a scoot around and look it up.

I'll post back in time, when I have bought something and on how I fared with installs etc.

Cheers
George Smiley
6 REPLIES
ESL
Grafter

Router Recommendations?

Hi all,

I am looking to buy an ADSL modem/router and don't have a clue where to start. I have a Dual Boot Windows XP/98SE PC, 10/100 ethernet card, and may want to network an Apple Imac sometime in the future. :?

I don't particularly want to to go wireless right now due to the additional expense,but would like something easy to set up on PlusNet. It should provide at least 2 ethernet sockets, built in firewall and if possible full uPNP to support MSN Messenger video and audio.

I'm quite happy to purchase new, or second hand off Ebay if a now-discontinued product is worth seeking out.

Hope someone can help with a recommendation Smiley
Regards
George
N/A

Router Recommendations?

Recommend Zoom X3, have been using for a year now with no problems.

This has only one Ethernet but it is to use with a hub which would enable you to use different computers and o/s

I am now on with Win98, but have got RedHat 9 Linux on another and also a laptop.

Have no idea of current price, but was just under £100 when I bought mine.

Harry.g

Refer www.zoom.com for details
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router Recommendations?

The Zoom X3 (and quite a few others) uses the same Connexant chipset as this 4 port switch/router
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-ADSLR4

You can see a data sheet for the same switch under a different brand name here
http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/ORIGO/ASR-8400.pdf

The Zoom X3 does has a much better WebUI and is an absolutely solid performer. You will have to decide if it is worth the extra 50 quid.

Regards
Matt
www.mssystems.co.uk
ESL
Grafter

Router Recommendations?

HI Guys,

I have had a quick nose around and found info about the Zoom X4 as well as the X3. I presume this is an updated model :?:

Or are you saying the X3 may be better, cheaper :?:
ESL
Grafter

Router Recommendations?

Hi again,

Done a little bit of nosing around and found that the X3/4 con't support UPnP. What this means to me is that I can't use MSN Messenger/Netmeeting with audio and video Sad

As I need to do this I need a router with UPnP support. As far as I can find out, only the Thomson Speedtouch 510 has support for this.

Unless you guys no better... :?:
N/A

Router Recommendations?

I use a SpeedTouch 510 and it certainly has UPnP support. But it is no longer the only router with this feature. I know recent Netgear routers (eg DG8x4), and no doubt others (eg Vigor?) do as well.