cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks PlusNet - Broadband at Last

flicker
Grafter

Just a quick message to say hi, and thanks for the speedy service. My modem and bits came at 11.30 this morning, and I was dreading the set up procedure as a tech wizard I am not! But I followed the simple instructions slowly and carefully, and all done in about 10 minutes, so here I am, a very happy bunny, and connected with no problem showing 1.1Mbps! Cheesy Cheesy

Moderators note (John) Smilies activated for you as it looks like your tried to post them Cool
12 REPLIES
Griffo
Grafter

Welcome! Enjoy the raw speed! Cheesy
flicker
Grafter

Thanks. One or two technical hitches, but all set now I hope! I certainly am enjoying the speed at which the forum pages load here and elsewhere. One question - I currently have installed OnSpeed, is it worth still using this or is it best not? Can't really see that I need to be any faster than this!
N/A

OnSpeed.. wossat then? If it's one of these things that caches webpages, probly not really worth having it installed seeing as though you have 1meg. But that's just my opinion anyway Cheesy
Community Veteran

You no longer need onspeed. It does not really work anyway, regardless of the claims it makes on improving the speed of dialup connections.
madswitcher
Grafter

Hi Peter,

I would dispute that in some circumstances. I used to download a lot of pdfs and the increase in throughput I got was significant - up to about 8 times faster due to the compression technique that Onspeed use.

Now, is that is relevant to normal users is another question, but I think you are a bit strong in saying that it "Does not really work anyway"?

Cheers, Mike
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sorry to disagree with someone but Onspeed certainly did speed up forum pages loading using 56k dial-up, so I wouldn't in all honesty critise the set up at all, when I thought I wouldn't be able to get broadband here in the sticks, it was well worth a try for the money. However, like you say, I don't think I need it now, was a bit reluctant to remove it completely though, you can just disable it.

Thanks again Smiley
N/A

OnSpeed uses compression and local peering technology to operate. This means two things

1: Pages and content is compressed, so it requires less download time
2: The Proxy servers are on low latency links and act as a faster man-in-the-middle for some slower pages

The internet has eveloved, such that we use GIF's, JPGs, PDFs, EXEs and flash. These all have there own compression, and you can only compress data so much, before anything further is impossible.

The net result is that only the page which includes text based HTMl downloads quicker, with images downloading at an only slightly increased rate (see note 2 above).

If anything Onspeed is little more than marketing hype to much of todays content
madswitcher
Grafter

Hi Acarr,

I suggest that you try using it if you haven't. It is not just compression: you can alter the definition of the images that are passed on so that the amount of data sent is also reduced, at the expense of an ajustable quality. I also understand that the compression techniques used are licenced from a government establishment that is quite bright on these things, but not released to the general public domain.

There are other ways of doing things.

Regards, Mike
N/A

Licenses mean nothing. THey are buzz words used for marketing.

All licencing means is that the company needed to use a technology that has a patent on it. They payed the fees involved in the patent, and have been allowed to use it.

Nothing but a legal matter.
madswitcher
Grafter

Rubbish!

Government establishments tend not to patent things lke this as it puts things into the public domain that they think should not be there.

Anyway, you are circumnavigating the point I made

Mike
N/A

Who Cares?
N/A

Which government? The UK or US?

The US government love patents, but you are right about the UK government.

Saying that, widespread distrubtuion of a Copyright material requires approval from the Copyright owner, and in some cases, fees. Copyright also uses the term licence for it's use, distribtuion and/or modification.

GPL code is also free, but licensed. It still has restrictions on what you can do with it. They may not pay any fees for the code, but they can still use that buzzword "licence" in marketing material.

Lets examine OnSpeeds "Buzz".

ONSPEED is a software download which utilises a unique 9 patent approved compression technology that increases your existing Internet connection speed by up to 5 times.

Doesn't say they own the patent. Now that would be somethign to brag about, if they hold the patents.

I could find little else of how they work.

I have a great product using the latest technology if web serving. It features a robust core technology, licensed from the market leader in web serving applications. There product accounts for almost 70% of the market on which our internet is served.

If you didn't get what that was about. it was Apache. Free to use and redistribute, but non-the-less, licensed.