cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test your phone line for ADSL

N/A

Test your phone line for ADSL

Do users know if you dial 17070 select option 3 then 1 and then 2 hang up you will be phoned back with info on if you line will suport ADSL>

6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Test your phone line for ADSL

> Do users know if you dial 17070 select option 3 then 1 and then 2 hang up you will be phoned back with info on if you line will suport ADSL>
>
>
An even better idea would be if plusnet had an adsl line check on their home page, most other providers do.
Just think of the extra revenue it would bring in if you made it simple for prospective customers.

--
Reset
fonejacker
Grafter

> An even better idea would be if plusnet had an adsl line check on their home page, most other providers do.
> Just think of the extra revenue it would bring in if you made it simple for prospective customers.

Hi Reset,

I agreee about making things simpler for customers being something that we need to work on, and a serious content overhaul for our portals is currently the top priority for our development and content teams.

In reality, ADSL Checkers available to ISPs are inaccurate as they tend to use postcode files provided by BT. These are often out of date or incorrect and don't include exchanges which are scheduled to be upgraded in the future. We actually removed the ADSL checker from our portal because it was telling people they coulden't have ADSL, but when they went to BT they found it could be provided without a problem.

The BT checker at http://www.bt.com/broadband has access to a wider range of information from BTs database and is generally the most up to date. In actual fact the only way to accurately ascertain whether you're ADSL servicable is to signup and let BT run the full checks on your telephone line.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> Hi Reset,
>
> I agreee about making things simpler for customers being something that we need to work on, and a serious content overhaul for our portals is currently the top priority for our development and content teams.
>
> In reality, ADSL Checkers available to ISPs are inaccurate as they tend to use postcode files provided by BT. These are often out of date or incorrect and don't include exchanges which are scheduled to be upgraded in the future. We actually removed the ADSL checker from our portal because it was telling people they coulden't have ADSL, but when they went to BT they found it could be provided without a problem.
>
> The BT checker at http://www.bt.com/broadband has access to a wider range of information from BTs database and is generally the most up to date. In actual fact the only way to accurately ascertain whether you're ADSL servicable is to signup and let BT run the full checks on your telephone line.
>
> With Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support

Thanks Ian for the informative reply.
Just goes to show what a waste of space BT are when even a basic ADSL checker gives the wrong information.
--
Reset
N/A

> > Hi Reset,
> >
> > I agreee about making things simpler for customers being something that we need to work on, and a serious content overhaul for our portals is currently the top priority for our development and content teams.
> >
> > In reality, ADSL Checkers available to ISPs are inaccurate as they tend to use postcode files provided by BT. These are often out of date or incorrect and don't include exchanges which are scheduled to be upgraded in the future. We actually removed the ADSL checker from our portal because it was telling people they coulden't have ADSL, but when they went to BT they found it could be provided without a problem.
> >
> > The BT checker at http://www.bt.com/broadband has access to a wider range of information from BTs database and is generally the most up to date. In actual fact the only way to accurately ascertain whether you're ADSL servicable is to signup and let BT run the full checks on your telephone line.
> >
> > With Regards,
> >
> > Ian Wild
> > PlusNet Customer Support
>
> Thanks Ian for the informative reply.
> Just goes to show what a waste of space BT are when even a basic ADSL checker gives the wrong information.
>
> --
> Reset

To get 100% accurate information for every individual who *might* want to do a check BT would have to actually test every line for ADSL and process the huge amounts of resulting data. BT doing that, for people who've no intention of going ADSL, would delay the whole process for the rest of us placing hard orders (with hard cash to back it up).

Use the checker on the BT site, that's what it's there for. If people are not just messing and are serious about it they'll place an order and the definitive test will be done then.

Just my 2p.

Kevin
N/A

I aint kidding when I say this.

The quickest and simplest way to tell if you can get ADSL, is to phone BTO.

I so far know two people that have been rejected (one twice, the other a staggering 6 times) by various ISP's.

BTO said they could quite easily right away.
N/A

This was my experience, too. I don't understand why the Office for Fair Trading is not onto BTO. It will be interesting to see how BTO manages the end of minimum contract churn!

> I aint kidding when I say this.
>
> The quickest and simplest way to tell if you can get ADSL, is to phone BTO.
>
> I so far know two people that have been rejected (one twice, the other a staggering 6 times) by various ISP's.
>
> BTO said they could quite easily right away.