cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco Broadband!

Stef
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

About a month ago a colleague of mine signed up for Tesco broadband. After taking all the details and confirming the order they recieved an email saying there were capacity issues at the exchange and that the order would be delayed (GREAT! You get this immediatly *AFTER* signing up!!!).

The he just recieved this email:

Dear Customer > >Following on from our recent email, we’re sorry we have to cancel your >application for Tesco broadband. We are doing everything we can to bring >Tesco broadband to you, however at this time we are unable to confirm when >Tesco broadband will be available in your area. Therefore we have >cancelled your application for Tesco broadband. We can now confirm that >the cancellation has been completed and no charges will be applied. > >We will contact you when Tesco broadband becomes available in your area. >You will then be able to re-submit your Tesco broadband application.

Doh?

Is he likely to have more luck if I recommend he goes with PLUSnet broadband?

(The exchange is HASLINGTON 01270)

Thanks, Stefan
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Tesco Broadband!

Tesco use Datastream to supply their ADSL services which in my experience is a more inferior product and is subject to availability issues (and speed issues) as you have stated - Datastream is not available from all exchanges.

PlusNet use IPstream and it's supplied by BT themselves and it is available from all ADSL activated exchanges so I would suggest your mate signs up with PlusNet.

Also see this external forum thread for issues related to Tesco's service (or lack of). Not being able to get tesco broadband may have been a good thing in this case.
holdtight
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

if you go over to the ADSL Guide forums you can read through some very
unhappy tesco broadband customer posts

reading through them it would seem that both tesco`s BB and
customer services are appalling

you dont get that with plusnet ! Cheesy
madswitcher
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

Peter
There appears to be something funny about that forum URL - it triggers an intrusion detection alert for HTTP perl_overflow.

Cheers, Mike
Community Veteran

Tesco Broadband!

works fine for me in Mozilla and IE.

Can't see how perl has anything to do with it as its using jsp not perl.

I would look locally as something on your system does not like that URL.
madswitcher
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

Yep could be - or Norton IS being a bit too senstive

Cheers, Mike
ID
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

Peter
There appears to be something funny about that forum URL - it triggers an intrusion detection alert for HTTP perl_overflow.

Cheers, Mike

Got exactly the same here with Norton 2004
holdtight
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

Works fine for me too using IE
and Norton 2003 default settings
N/A

Capacity reached

Funny how this is having a bash at Tesco and I am thinking the opposite way. I signed up for adsl with plusnet 2 weeks ago and have now been told there are capacity issues ie it is full with my exchange.(Dalkeith) Maybe Tesco with their supposedly inferior way of connecting could be better in my situation.
N/A

Tesco Broadband!

Erm, about at doubtful as they come, and I I am not having a pop at any ISP when i say this.

Exchange capacity problems mean that no ISPs can get new customers on that exchange. There is a physical lack of abaility to provision them.

This is a BT related problem, which in turn filters down to the end users when they order through PlusNet.

You are however welcome to order through another ISP, but I would contact Ofcom if this fails. In theory, this means that Bt are favouring others ISPs over PlusNet, which is unfair.

Unfair on PlusNet because they are "illegaly" having customers turned away, and unfair on you, because you do not get the choice of ISP you wanted.
painswck
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

Or of course the other ISP (like Tesco) could be on datastream so your comments not exactly relevant Philip.
N/A

Tesco Broadband!

They are relevant.

DataStream ISPs make use of exactly the same BT equipment, the only differance between DataStream and IPStream at the exchange, is who owns and controls the pipe through which your data is transfered.
painswck
Grafter

Tesco Broadband!

And the fact that the datastream supplier 'pre-books' capacity on the DSLAMS which has been known to cause problems for other suppliers. Also do not use the BT backhaul so capacity problems on the BT side is not relevant.