Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp Broadband for 1 Month...

craigbrass
Grafter

Hello,

Well I am not sure I should be posting this here but I will go ahead anyway. If there is a problem, just delete it.

I am NOT leaving PlusNet but am going to be at another location for 2 weeks and need broadband during that time. I don't wan't to just signup with plusnet for 1 month cos it would cost me around £100. Know any ISPs that I can go with that don't charge activation, have 1 month contract period and allow you to cancel in the first 30 days?

Best Regards,
Craig Brass
15 REPLIES
N/A

I think you will find it very hard to get an ISP to do this.

If you where to pay for just 1 months, even at a high rate of £30, the ISP could lose anything from £40 to £60.

This would be a very large loophole to leave open.

Quite a few ISPs offer 1 months contract and many more offer free activation. In adition, many offer both at the same time.

The problem arrises in that I doubt any would have a provision in the contract that would not see you pay back the activation if you left so soon.
craigbrass
Grafter

Well couldn't we just say go with Wanadoo and cancel the direct debit after one month via my bank?
Community Veteran

Craig, i think I'd rather be without BB than with a provider with a poor reputation.
craigbrass
Grafter

Hey, the point is I don't think I could last out in the country without broadband for 2 weeks!!! lol
Community Veteran

I'm going to be out of the country without BB for two weeks ;-)
craigbrass
Grafter

Yep, well your prolly not as *sad* as I am...lol
Community Veteran

You reckon?
craigbrass
Grafter

Well thats another matter up for debate. I wanna know wat wanadoo would do if I signed up for broadband and canceled the direct debit after 1 month.
N/A

Well thats another matter up for debate. I wanna know wat wanadoo would do if I signed up for broadband and canceled the direct debit after 1 month.

What they would do? They'd hold you to term, naturally. They would then pursue you through a debt-recovery agency for the remaining term of your 12 month contract.

Back when I was a Wanadoo customer, one time I got really frustrated, and just thought "screw it!" and just asked the agent on their billing helpdesk what they would do if I just cancelled my Direct Debit. That's pretty much what he told me. I wasn't really planning on doing it, of course, but by that point I was getting desparate to leave, and the question was more an expression of my desperation than a serious "threat".
N/A

Indeed. Debt recovery is what they would do, and is what they do on a day to day basis.

This would leave you in bad standing for credit in the future, which can only be cured by making the payment (and likely by then, adminastrative costs). SO you lose out more.

One quick question. Your going out of the country?
Still within the UK I presume?
Community Veteran

Hey, the point is I don't think I could last out in the country without broadband for 2 weeks!!! lol

I think Craig will still be in the country, It's me who is going abroad!
craigbrass
Grafter

I'll still be in the UK *winks*
LiamM
Grafter

Virgin recently covered up this loophole.

Until last month, they offered free activation and a one month contract.

I have an idea. Find someone who wants BB, sign up to PN using the Free Activation Offer, and then transfer it to that someone after you've used it for two weeks. You can "move house" once again under the free activation offer.
N/A

I guess using wireless BB is not an option?