cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telewest/NTL 10mbps accounts

N/A

After reading through some of the postings on The Register today, I notice some interesting things.
1) On 3rd June, NTL & Telewest announce a possible merger. This is no supprise to people who keep an eye on these things, it's been on the cards for a while. The supprising thing is that there's talks of resignations high in the ranks of NTL, and to make it worse, customer service staff anonymously acknowledging that their service levels are terrible. Who wants to merge with a larger company, when they're overrun by internal problems? What exactly do Telewest get out of the merger?
2) On the 8th August, NTL announced that they will be offering 10mbps accounts as STANDARD. For this, they'll be giving users a cap of 75Gb/month, compared to the current 30Gb/month.
3) On 11th August (only 3 days after NTL), Telewest announce that they will be upgrading accounts. Their standard package will be 2mbps, with the current 2mbps users getting 10mbps.
Suddenly, everything becomes a little bit clearer. NTL get the customer service management from Telewest, Telewest get the infrastructure, size, and a few new services from NTL.
My question is, if Telewest are offering 10mbps accounts via cable, when will DSL companies start offering similar speeds. Hopefully the recent exchange level upgrades haven't shot them in the foot & limited everyone to 8mbps on a platform (ADSL2) that can, in theory, perform at 24mbps.
Telewest have said that prices should remain the same, so they will be offering (at some unspecified point in time), an uncapped (we all know this wont last long), 10mbps connection, with no trafic shaping (again, wont last long), all for £35/month NTL seems to be the smaller side, concentrating on it's TV/Phone services, offering a 10mpbs PAYG-style internet account.
Neither company have updated their websites yet, but it should be fun to see if Telewest/NTL have learnt from the events that have unfolded over PN's regrades.
34 REPLIES
N/A

Quote from todays Telewest announcement -
"What's more, our customers will be able to make full use of this extra bandwidth because we won't be introducing caps and all the new speeds will be available across the network. With blueyonder services you actually get what you pay for."
End of Quote.

We are going back to Telewest Blueyonder because cable high speed will be more reliable than the problems with domestic BT telephone linesfor high speeds. Also the timescale for the 10Mb on Telewest is completion by early 2006.

As for cost. £35 is very competative compared with the likely cost that ADSL ISPs will charge for 8Mb. And no caps too.
N/A

If i could get cable, i'd be tempted...

But at the minute i pay sub £20 for 2mb premier, no issues at all *crosses fingers*
N/A

Huumm DONT jump to quickly Ivan

Hi,

Thats all very well 10Mbps but before you all rush off to NTL or Telewest its worth bearing in mind that both telewest & NTL dont have a phone book, users have no phone directory, both companies websites only want to sell you products or services (i.e. No! searchable online phone directory).

In other words NTL & Telewest phone users are in effect EX Directory, OK fine for those that want this. But you try finding the actual phone number of either a telewest or NTL user that hasnt paid for a line in the BT phone book. Its a complete pain. :roll:

**£35 sounds good per month but if you live in Paris France Telecom have been offering an 8Mbps ADSL service,web space, email service,voice calls, & line rental for I believe the figure was 15 euros (thats £10.88 per month) and its been up and running for some time. UK playing catch up as usual as BT drag their heels yet again. Think I'll just go back to sleep, someone wake me up when it happensHuh? :roll:

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

i was thinkin about keepin my bt phone lines and switchin to tw for the 10mbit service. I have the 2mbit service here atm and its gr8, but i went through a heck of alot of hassle to get it put in. so i dont think 4/8 mb services will come of ease.

TW are being extremely competitive, alright there support isnt anywhere near as gd as tw but the services is reliable so i amnt 2 fussed (i'm ex telewest customer). had the works. 512/digital cable tv / 2 phone lines. was good. be it they screwed up the billing.

anyway i'm holding off to see how the cards are played. if i can get 4mbit without paying mroe sometime in the near future on adsl then i might well stay. 10 would be real nice though
N/A

Interesting comments. We are not going to haveTelewest telephone service this time. We'll stick to BT for that. Trouble with TW telephone service, although very reliable, it isn't so easy to use services such as 18866 for calls and also the 6p per call connection charge is a bit over the top.

At one time you had to pay more for a Broadband package from TW if you didn't also take their phone service. But that isn't the case anymore.
vic_newey
Grafter

they have an amazing value starter service this month, 512 b/band & 35 channel TV for £15 a month, I understand that 512 will be upgraded to 2meg as basic shortly as well. New rule starting this month means you no longer have to take their phone service
My daughter has this basic service upstairs here at our house & if things don't improve I may well chip in & go for the forthcoming high speeds as our +net service can't support more than 1 meg
N/A

NTL & TW services Ivan

Hi,

OK may be things have changed with Telewest recently, but previously both NTL & Telewest's infrastructure was soley based upon cable which meant that if you were a NTL or TW subscriber you where effectively on a completely seperate network from most other BT users. This used to cause major problems in various ways but this may have changed I dont know?

May be it is possible now to keep your BT line and still be an NTL or TW customer? Humm I still have serious doubtes about this, also it means that if you go down that path your paying twice once for your BT phone line & secondly for TW or NTL internet services? sounds costly to me.

**No if you already have a 2MB service over a BT line then IMO any upgrade to 4/8MB's in future should be reasonably OK provided you meet the criteria like line length or line noise etc. I think we will see 4/8MB appear next year with BT at some point.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Ive just give up on eva geting a faster upload and download really. Just as usually they dont care in uk
vic_newey
Grafter

Re: NTL & TW services Ivan

Hi,

May be it is possible now to keep your BT line and still be an NTL or TW customer? Humm I still have serious doubtes about this, also it means that if you go down that path your paying twice once for your BT phone line & secondly for TW or NTL internet services? sounds costly to me.

How can you have doubts ? I have Bt phone & internet downstairs whilst my daughter upstairs has Telewest b/band but not the phone
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Hi vicnewey,

OK but is the Telewest service going over a BT phone line that's what I'd like to know. Or is the telewest over a seperate line??

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
vic_newey
Grafter

how can the telewest service go down the BT line ? Telewest is cable & completely seperate from BT regardless of whether your BT line comes in on poles or underground as does Telewest cable.
The Telewest box fitted on the front of our house has 1 cable for TV & a seperate cable for b/band & a third for the phone should we wish to have it connected so unlike BT which has only 1 line for everything, cable gives a more reliable service with no signal interferance
craigbrass
Grafter

cable gives a more reliable service with no signal interferance

That is simply NOT true, the amount of people I know and have read about have had loads of problems with cable broadband and not nearly as many problems as ones with broadband over BT lines.
vic_newey
Grafter

Possibly so with NTL cable as they appear to rank with Tiskali for customer service These forums & dozens of others are full of problems with BT lines day after day . Everyone we know on Telewest report reliable fast service.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please dont use ALL of a preceding post as a quote.
craigbrass
Grafter

Everyone we know on Telewest report reliable fast service.

Not according to the people I have talked to and the articles I have read.