Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THis Modem and my Problem. Ak

N/A

Sucks tbh.

Half the time its OK. It works fine on PC2

On PC1 however. Its a pile of useless plastic. Its connects fine and the connection speed is fine with high quality. BUt it disconnects more than a 56k connection. Some nights its Ok. other night, Like tonight, its dropping about 18 million times an hour. Ive tried updating drivers, but the install doesnt work (smooth) it just gets jammed on "plug in your modem now" which i do and 10 mins later its still on that screen

My pc is not underpowered either. so whats the problem? if its a compatablility issue, can plusnet give me another one or do i have to buy my own? (btw, on 2.6 ~2.2 athlon, 512 333mhz ram, 64mb radeon 8500 gfx card P4 power suply

Thanks
Tom
7 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

What motherboard chipsets to each of your two machines use?

Are filters correctly installed on all the cabling to your phone socket on PC1? Are you sure they/the wiring are not faulty.

The modem is clearly not at fault because it works on one of your PCs. This means that either PC1 is faulty or your wiring/filters to that machine are faulty
Community Veteran

Also saying what ADSL modem you are using may help with the diagnosis.

Is the spec you gave the working or non-working PC. Details of the otherm one, including motherboard chipset would also help. Can you also give us details of the Windows version being used on both PCs.
N/A

Your symptoms are classic for the "USB power issue". This has nothing to do with the CPU speed. The power supply can have an effect, but it is mainly down to the chipset used for the USB. Basically, the power regulation is not godd enough to run the modem.
Cures:
1/ Unplug every other USB device (apart from keyboard)
2/ Upgrade the drivers for the USB on the motherboard.
3/You can also try a powered USB hub or, the best solution if you wish to stay with USB, get a good branded USB2 card and use that.
4/ Get a ethernet router (the very best choice as you can then have up to 4 PC's connected at the same time)
N/A

thanks guys

I found a temporary solution. Reinstalling the drivers helps alot. Have to do this atleast once a week thought. Ive only got 2 USB devices, my modem (Binatone ADSL, the one that came free) and my Wheel. The board on PC1 is a MSi board, KT4V if you need the number.

I ordered a router from Netgear, hopefully this will help me.
N/A

Which Netgear modem router ?? 834 or 632
Community Veteran

I.e. The 834 has an Ethernet connection and the 632 has USB, It's the 834 you need as another USB device may suffer the same symptoms.
N/A

yep, its the 834 Smiley