cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Speed from almost 2Mb down to 448K :( Ticket 19967695

N/A

I've a ticket open but I've not been able to complete the fault forms because it just keeps looping round and round.

The link in the help screen points to http://fault. and nothing else. When I type in fault.plus.net I get to a screen asking for contact details which tells me if I dont complete the form nothing further will be done.

Trouble is, the form doesnt submit and simply goes back to the same screen with no indication of whether my problem is going to get looked at or not!!!

My speeds since moving to MaxDSL went to just under 2Mb (from a stable 1Mb connection), but has now dropped back to 448Kb (the same as the upload speed).

I'm assuming there will be some problem with the line or something but I can't seem to find any information.

And no, there have been 0 changes made at this end, exactly the same hardware/software in exactly the same place for months. Rebooting the router (Netgear DG834G) seem to make the connection slower still.

Pesky BT, pesky broadband.

Help, someone, please....
12 REPLIES
cossey
Grafter

Can't help, sorry, but having similar problem down to 157kbps currently Sad

Went through the automated broadband fault checker but couldn't get the BT speedtest to work. I added comments to the auto-created 'question' in support and got a reply that my line/connection will be investigated in the next 72 hours.

Coincidentally, I then received an email informing that I would be going LLU next Monday. Whether this is good or bad is yet to be seen, but 157kbps is NOT much fun Sad
Naiad
Grafter

No you're not alone - not that that is much comfort!
I'm also stuck with a throughput now at a miserable 130kbps even though can synch at 2.3Mb and my previous "up to 2Meg" connection was working fine with an over 900kbps d/l speed. I've also not changed my setup.

I didn't *ask* to be Maxed and now they've ruined my connection.

My ticket keeps being returned, with the info I give clearly not read properly, asking for speed tests I've already done.

Will someone in charge of Customer Support PLEASE get the staff to actually read what people write and respond accordingly. And can someone let all of us know what is going on with this issue. It's clearly affecting a lot of people.
N/A

I thought I was the only one to suffer from being MAXed, sorry to hear people are down from 2Mb to 448Kb.

Because of my line quality, I considered myself lucky having a stable and always reliable 1Mb connection, that is until MAX came along.
I now get 768Kb on a good day, but it's 448Kb at the moment.

Why didn't they just leave it alone ?

Judging by other people's messages, Plusnet can't help, maybe time to change ? - or maybe they will just stop trying to fix something that wasn't broken.
Slipperymack
Grafter

I have had problems with MaxDSL since 1/5/06 and had an open ticket since 20/5/06. Speed very low, loss of sync, noise on line etc etc etc. Sad

Oh for the days of my rock solid 2MB connection with a 1900ish speed, the sun was shining, there were birds singing in the trees (can't hear them now because of the noise on my phone line. I spent my evening gaming online without a care in the world and actually talking to my children. Then the big monster Darth MaxDSL came into my life and took me over - all I can think of now is what will my download speed be today, will my router have lost sync again or will my wife moan at me again for spending too much time trying to chase this problem up and her her words "kick PN into touch.

But seriously this is not good enough - the traffic on this forum must have quadrupled since MAX - and be mostly about that particular subject. When is somebody going to hold their hands up and say its all been a big mistake and it will all be alright in the morning. Smiley Here hoping!!!!
N/A

If it's any consolation I have now been stuck at 128kbps [DSLMax] for nearly four days, modem synchs regularly between 6-6.9Mb.

Waitng now for three and a half days for a ticket reply but none as yet.
N/A

Went through the automated broadband fault checker but couldn't get the BT speedtest to work.

I also had problems using the BT Speedtest, Plusnet's instructions did not work for me, but these settings seemed to:

User: speedtest@speedtest_domain

no password

Point browser to: http://speedtester.bt.com
carrot63
Grafter

I'm reading all this with a growing sense of nervousness. I've been fairly happy with Max since moving from "up to 2mb" in May. The router initially synched at 4.5Mb, then dropped a little and has synched between 3.7-4.3Mb ever since, with an actual download speed of 2.5-2.9 (slightly more on non PN checkers for some reason) and a rock steady actual upload speed of 350 Kb. The connection dropped only occasionally, but in the last week or so its been dropping more regularly and download speeds have been steadily dropping, now at 1388 Kbps according to the BT speedtester.

In concert with this my "stable rate" as detailed on the portal has dropped from 3000Kbps, to 2000Kbps and now to 1500kbps. I've been logging off and on every day for a week trying to get this to update upward but the opposite seems to have happened. As with most others, nothing at all has changed on my set up.

I really feel for the frustrations of others on this page with far, far worse problems that seem to have gone on for months. My fear as I watch the speed drop off is that I'll be joining the ever growing Sub 500 club in a week or so, and - given recent comments and experiences of PN customer service - going from a (relatively) happy PN punter of 5 years to a disillusioned shopper looking for a new supplier.
N/A

I am currently synched at 6.9Mb, the stable rate on the portal is usually between 5-5.5Mb but is now at 3Mb due to, believe it or not, my tumble drier which disrupts the connection, I usually un-synch before I use it but forgot this time! So one synch at 3Mb and the stable rate dropped, I thought BT had fixed this bug, obviously not.

When first maxed I was getting close to 5Mb download speeds, these decreased gradually to 1.5Mb whilst synch and stable rate remained the same. When I queried this on a forum, the speed 'magically' [coincidentally?] increased to 3.5Mb, for two days then dropped to 128kb and has remained there ever since.

What compounds the problem more than anything is waiting nearly four days for a reply to a ticket and still not receiving one, knowing that I am going to get asked to 'plug into the master socket', yes tried that, 'provide speedtests', yes done that, 'try another router' etc etc etc before the fault is even raised to BT. With in excess of 4 days turn around on each trivial question. All I can do is browse the web at the moment, slowly too, no prizes for guessing which type of sites I have been browsing.

To be fair this may not be a Plusnet technical fault but BT's, however, only Plusnet can raise a fault on my behalf and their non-action and 'ticket tennis' when eventually replied to is extremely frustrating.
Naiad
Grafter

So have any of you guys had your speed problems resolved?

And can CS PLEASE tell us what's going on? This seems to be a widespread problem.

I've now had 5 clear days with no cutoffs or interruptions on my line but there's been no reset of my stable rate. We keep being told this happens automatically after three days. Well it clearly doesn't.
Tests done this morning still showing only 128kbps downstream and 376kbps upstream. Despite being told on Thursday 3/8 at 12:31 my problem was being moved to another department to "get a faster response", nothing's happened since. Some action would be good at this point...
N/A

A quick update:

Still NO response to the ticket so far.

Sync speeds have increased slowly each time I've rebooted my router.

BUT, the connection is getting SLOWER. I'm synced just uder 1Mb now but ALL traffic (web, email, ftp, p2p) is INCREDIBLY SLOW. The connection is slower than my old dial up. I am convinced PN had a problem somewhere but as usual they are not letting on!
N/A

Ah, a plusnet update to my ticket as below. I havent tried this as yet as everything seems a lot better this morning, still synced slowly but the speeds are a lot faster. I'm waiting for a big file to download so I will follow the advice below later. Anyone know how to check if you have interleaving on or off as my router doesnt display that?

PN ticket update:
We are showing you as currently synching at 1MB. If this continues over the next few days then the BT dynamic line management system will reset the donwstream line rate since you have previously synced at the 288k and so the BT system has set your line rate at this.

The line test has shown your margin value as being 6dB.

Now with MaxDSL, the service can run with the margin as low as 4dB, but in some cases a margin value of less than 9dB could possibly cause the connection to drop.

As MaxDSL is rate adaptive this should see the drops and adjust the margin accordingly, but sometimes you need to manually force this.

So that we can try and force your line to adjust the margin to a higher value could you try restarting your modem/router repeatedly, allowing it to power up and synch with the line and connect, then power it down and repeat this.

If you could do this several times over the space of an hour and a half, this should then force the system to increase the margin.

If you could try this and advise us if this improves the situation, or if the problems continue.
plongeur

I have had exactly the same experience. had a rock solid 2Mbps until went to MAX. Ininitially go sync at 4-5 Mpbs and downloads at 430 K bytes/sec. Then the rot set in. Regularly had evenings when all the router did was try and resysnc every 30 sec. Plusnet DONT read what you put in the fault reports. One month after the start of the fault I am now being told that they are going to get BT to enable interleavong on my line. Interleaveing was enabled on my line from the first day I went on to MAX. Similar issues with try another router/ master socket etc. Needless to say all these were tried in the first two days I had the fault. Currently Max stable rate at 500 kbps from Plusnet and this is confirmed by Plusnet speedtest, this is after resyncing twice a day at least. Plusnet used to be very good and reliable, now they are abysmal and the service desk is useless. 2 years ago the service desk was actually good but not any longer.