Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to another provider - possibly

batfastad
Grafter

Hi everyone

I've been with PlusNet for 4 years now but the time has come for change.

I've been satisfied with the HomeWorker account we signed up to through the office, but our home broadband requirements are no longer at the level where we need to be spending £30 per month on it.
Especially when we can get a sufficient level of service for an extra £5 added to our Sky TV bill.

So before I take the plunge I have a few questions...
What's the process for switching my broadband from PN to another provider?
Is this where I need to request my MAC code?

Does anyone know if Sky support migrations with their broadband? Their site is pretty difficult to penetrate.

Obviously if they don't, then we'll have to cancel our broadband and sign up to sky from scratch which would take longer.

Thanks
11 REPLIES
N/A

Sky should accept a MAC code, even if you are on LLU I understand providers have a duty to accept a valid MAC. If Sky won't accept a MAC code then your line will have to be ceased and re-activated, probably costing you £47 (not sure if Sky will absorb this or not).

Have you checked out the new BBYW options before moving to a provider notorious for appalling customer service. BBYW Option 2 @ £14.99 is probably a good product for you if you just require web browsing and e-mail, and doesn't require you to maintain a subscription to satellite television.

Is there any other problem with the PlusNet service that anyone from CSC can help with?
chrisc
Grafter

Sorry to hear that you wish to leave.

Sky don't accept LLU Mac codes but as you are on the BT platform there will be no problem with them using the MAC key to transfer your service.

You will need to raise a ticket here to request the MAC code

Just a couple of points to make before you do:

We are in the process of launching a business product refresh which will see the launch of a range of new business packages. We are inviting customer suggestions and opinions on what they want to see in those packages here. We would welcome your feedback to help improve the packages that we offer.

Is there any main reason for the change? Any problems that we can resolve for you? Let me know and I can chase things up if necessary for you.

I'd advise having a quick read of this before you go - it shows Sky customer feedback - both good and bad! I don't want to be accused of only showing you the negative comments Cheesy

Shout up if there is anything I can do.
batfastad
Grafter

The only reason for possibly changing is the price.
£30 at the moment and we get good service, but we no longer need that connection with basically unlimited usage.

I might just step it down to the PlusNet broadband your way option 2.

The only reason I thought of moving to Sky is that it basically adds £5 to our TV bill, for a sufficient broadband offering.

Thanks for the advice
chrisc
Grafter

No problem - let us know and we will happily change your package free of charge.

We really feel that we are making progress to returning our support to the excellent levels of the past and there is a real drive and focus internally to make sure that our customers really see the benefits of our efforts.

Combined with the introduction of the new packages we really hope that you will remain a PlusNet customer Cheesy
batfastad
Grafter

Ok I've got a couple of questions about the different plusnet broadband packages...

With the broadband your way option 2 8GB package, what happens if you over-shoot the 8GB usage?

Also, is it possible to have a free wireless router with that package rather than the standard free wired router?

Thanks
Ben
chrisc
Grafter

There are 2 options on the new packages.

You can select to fix the amount at 8Gb and when you reach this amount your speeds will be restricted.

Alternatively, you can choose the flex option. In this case you are charged £1 for every GB you use over the 8Gb limit.

You can chnage between the 2 options at any point that you wish.

Unfortunately the wireless router is only available on Options 3&4.
batfastad
Grafter

How severe is the speed restriction?
Community Veteran

Severe.

If my memory serves me correct all services are limited to 128Kbps.

Chilly
chrisc
Grafter

If you reach the usage limit and have not opted for the flex option then you will be limited to 128kbps.

This restriction can be lifted at any time by adding additional usage and the speeds will be restored immediately at this point.
batfastad
Grafter

I think that would actually be quite adequate.

My usage is high, but I'll be moving out so I really doubt the usage will even top 8GB any more.

Literally all they will be doing in browsing the web. But at least it doesn't get cut off completely.
Thanks for all the info, I think I'll probably go with this.
chrisc
Grafter

If they are only browsing and sending emails etc then I would think that 8GB would be plenty.

At least you always have the option of adding a little bit more if you ever need too Wink

Glad to see that you are going to stay with us... I'll keep an eye on the upgrade ticket and make sure that everything goes through ok for you.