cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching ON/OFF PC causes Router to lose sync!

N/A

Hello All,

After receiving my Sar-110 ethernet router from plusnet, i had a good couple of months of internetting, and enjoyed a fast, reliable connection. I've plugged in line splitters into all my phones and have made no changes to my hardware or networking setup recently.

However over the past month, I've been suffering from a problem that it driving me round the bend.

I have an stupendously unreliable ADSL line connection that loses sync everytime the home PC is either switched on or off. Further to that, it stays disconnected for at least 30 minutes at a time - i cannot get the router to recognise an ADSL Line even by restarting it or resetting the wires.
Evil

If anyone has experienced a similar freakish problem or has any idea what it could be, please reply, I'd be grateful to hear any suggestions.

Ive raised the issue with PlusNet but they seem to have no clues so far.

:arrow: To summarise :
Problem 1) Router loses sync when PC switched on or off.
Problem 2) Router takes around 30+ mins to regain ADSL line sync

PLEASE HELP!
Thanks in advance,

BK
2 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Switching ON/OFF PC causes Router to lose sync!

:arrow: To summarise :
Problem 1) Router loses sync when PC switched on or off.
Problem 2) Router takes around 30+ mins to regain ADSL line sync

PLEASE HELP!
Thanks in advance,

BK

Not sure about #1

For #2 ... remove all telecom devices from the line except adsl modem.
Does the modem sync when turned on/off ? Try each filter in turn ......

If this resolves the sync you'll need to establish if its another device or a faulty filter.
N/A

ADSL connection should be unaffected by turning PC on or off.
Just as a little test, try this.
Unplug your PC LAN connection from the router, this will obliviate any PC/router interaction. Then turn on and off the PC to see if the DSL modem losses sync (you should see this by the status lights.)
Does the modem still loose sync ??. If it does, I guess you have the Router and PC plugged into the same wall socket and your are getting a power spike from PC which is resetting the router. Try a different wall socket or, which is a good idea anyway, a surge supression extension for the PC.