cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Ip's.

Hustler85
Dabbler

Switching Ip's.

I have recently purchased a laptop and I think I have the knowledge to connect it through my account to access the net.

My question.

How would I go about using my current IP on the laptop and a new IP (gained via the block of 4) on my computer ?

I want them to be completly seperate from each other.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Switching Ip's.

What ADSL equipment do you have and how do you think you will connect it and your 2 PCs together?
Hustler85
Dabbler

Switching Ip's.

What I intend on doing is this ..............

Conect both PC and Laptop to my router through Lan, I dont require any wireless stuff. I want both to beable to connect at the same time but want them on different IP's.

My router is just a simple one which was supplied by plusnet (not sure of technical specs). I intend on buying a new one to beable to connect both pc and laptop if you have any recommendations
Community Veteran

Switching Ip's.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason why you need separate IPs for the 2 PCs?

Using NAT on the router will allow you to separate both PCs from the internet and use the routers firewall to add additional protection. The 2 PCs will then use DHCP to get their IPs from the router. You can connect multiple PCs to the internet using NAT with a single PlusNet IP address.

I use the netgear DG834 4 port ADSL mdem/router and find it very good. Not had any problems since I bought it 6 months ago so would recommend it. It's very easy to setup.