Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch off Computer?

rumtop
Dabbler

Switch off Computer?

Hi,
Is it better to leave my computer on 24/7 to maintain max DSL speeds. Or can I turn it on and off when required? If I keep turning it off how long does it take to return to max DSL Speed?
Thanks
Phil
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Switch off Computer?

It depends...

What ADSL modem/router do you use?

If its a separate router just leave it on and switch your PC off.

Switching your PC off/on should not have any affect on your ADSL speed.
rumtop
Dabbler

Switch off Computer?

Thanks, Smiley

Its a separate router,so I can leave the D Link ADSL Modem on.

Phil
holdtight
Grafter

Switch off Computer?

Yep you can if you want to it usually comes down to personal preference and whether you want to switch it off, i leave mine on 24/7 and have no probs at all with it i just turn off the pc from time to time but thats usually left on also
rumtop
Dabbler

Switch off Computer?

Smiley
Thanks again.
I will switch off pc when not in use, and leave the modem on.
Phil
craigbrass
Grafter

Switch off Computer?

it usually comes down to personal preference and whether you want to switch it off

I was told it isn't a good idea to switch routers off at night and I have had this proved twice.

I was told that there is a small amount of memory in a router and over time switching it on and off (as routers don't have a shutdown option) can cause problems with this memory chip.

When I say proved twice, two people I know who have done this have had their routers die after less than 3 months.
rumtop
Dabbler

Switch off Computer?

Thanks Craig.

I will only be switching off my PC.
I will leave the router and the separate ADSL Modem on.

Phil
Smiley
Community Veteran

Switch off Computer?

router and ADSL modemHuh?

You can't have both connected to the phone line at the same time.

Unless you mean your router does not have integrated ADSL modem so the ADSL modem is separate and plugs into the router?
shellsong
Grafter

Switch off Computer?

Really, Peter, I guess people assume to readily that when someone says "router" on the forums they imply that there is an ADSL modem integrated with it whereas it would probably be best to say "ADSL router" or "router/modem" or similar to save confusion Wink
rumtop
Dabbler

Switch off Computer?

Hi,
To clear up any misunderstanding :idea:
I have one D link DSL 300G+ ADSL Modem and
one Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless access point router.
Thanks again

Phil
N/A

Switch off Computer?

@flashasp wrote

I was told it isn't a good idea to switch routers off at night and I have had this proved twice.

What happened to those routers, how did they fail?

I ask because I bought a Netgear in late May, in early September I started to get a lot of evening disconnections, and recewntly a lot of CRC errors as well, although the router is still working and holding the line to a 0 dB SNR margin and below.
I'm on a long line so a lot of routers won't work well for me, those that do tend to be expensive so I can't afford to buy another just to test. But if it is faulty I could return it to PC World under warranty.
pacem
Grafter

Switch off Computer?

@HoldTight

It shouldn't come down to personal preference. Leaving a modern computer on 24/7 costs around £200 per year* and has unnecessary environmental impact.

If you don't need it on, SWITCH IT OFF.

Paul.<><

*Based on fact that a 200W device costs £200 per year if running 24/7, and that the average PC idles using 200W.

(Router on 24/7 only costs about £5 per year.)
Community Veteran

Switch off Computer?

I'm with you Paul.

Energy conservation is a serious concern, and is going to be a very pressing issue sooner than most would think!
Community Veteran

Switch off Computer?

Yep I turn everything off at the end of the day. If Im not going to be using it then why have it turned on :?
As well as being good for the environment I'm also reducing the fire risk in property.

I also do the same with the TV which like all these days has a standby setting from the remote. However even on standby its still consuming a fair but of energy and I did have one actually catch fire a few years ago.
Luckily it went up in flames in the morning while I was still in the house so I was able to unplug it and dowse it. :!:
Community Veteran

Switch off Computer?

A sobering one that John! :shock: