cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for an ADSL router with STATIC NAT capabilities?

N/A

I'm looking for a SOHO ADSL router with built-in adsl modem that can perform static nat (static internal IP to public IP mapping) and proper stateful packet filtering. It seems quite hard to find anything that does this in the SOHO market and any suggestions would be great.
The reason is one of simplicity. I don't want to have to configure all my publicily available servers with a public IP, and I want a centralised firewall so I don't have to check all my server logs.
I'm currently using a D-Link DSL-G604T (suggestions don't have to include wireless as I have another wireless AP I can use) and because I have a block of IP's, I have it setup in No-NAT configuration. Unfortunately in No-NAT configuration the firewall doesn't work at all. All traffic can pass from the internet to my servers, so I've had to individually configure firewalls on each server which apart from being time consuimg is a security risk as I have to ensure all servers are setup correctly and I have to check all server's log files, instead of a single log.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Netgear DG834 - I use it at home and work.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Static NAT, also known as Multi-NAT can be found in some of the Zyxel range of routers.

652 from memory
N/A

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I'll check them out.
N/A

I rang Netgear and the guy said they have no adsl routers that support multi-nat. Zyxel on the other hand is looking very good.
I sent an e-mail to their sales team and I received a reply in about 3 hours. It appears the Zyxel Prestige 650H-E ADSL Router is the business for my needs. I can't believe how cheap it is at £37.50 inc VAT on broadbandbuyer.co.uk , seeing that the only noticable features it lacks are VPN and wireless support, neither of which are an issue to me.

The only downside is I can't find any one else on the internet who's got one, to read about their experiences.
N/A

I am not 100% sure the 650 is ideal, thought I havn't read into it so much.

Zyxel are a very good make,. I used a Zyxel 643 until a few months back, when I switched to a Draytek for VoIP reasons.

I will be switching back to Zyxel in approx 6 months, once I have network plans in place.
N/A

I've done some more digging and I think I'll go for the 660 model. Only problem is finding independent reviews/comments on it, but seeing the few I've found have been very positive.
Thanks for your comments.
N/A

IIRC, I did look into the 660 myself, but also had problems seeking independant reviews.

IIRC, there are now a few reviews in the Hardware forum of ADSL Guide.
N/A

Take a look at the Draytek Vigor range. They are pretty highly specced. I have the 2600 WE myself, it does a great job. Can operate in NAT or non-NAT modes.
N/A

I have the 2600V now.

There are two flaws with it right now

1: It combines NAT, no-NAT and mixed mode
It doesn't however provide Multi-NAT

A quick note: Multi-NAT is the abaility to assign each of your IP's provided in a IP block to specific machines, or allow them to operate in a pool, where each natted machines uses one of the free IPs at random.

2: It doesn't support IGMP (Multi-cast) yet, which is something that is going to increase as more video comes to the net.
N/A

I'ev got myself a Zyxel 660H Security Router but have to get some other stuff sorted out before I can set it up.

The Drayteks look great, but at £150 I'll take a chance with my Zyxel at £52 as it more closely fits my needs at the moment.