cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for a new router

N/A

Hi all, I've had an ongoing ticket with TechSupport about repeated dropped connections, and they've finally said it must be my hardware. Whilst the fact that it worked fine for 3 years prior rather makes me suspicious of this diagnosis, the wife is chewing my ear enough for me to have to at least rule this out. We're also thinking about going wireless for the first time, and now that wireless speeds are reasonable, perhaps it's a good time.

So recommendations greatfully received, here's my criteria:

- Latest router required to support up to 24MB ADSL (ever hopeful that plus.net will eventually upgrade my current 2MB to 8MB and fingers crossed beyond in future).

- Hardware firewall a must. Preferably one that's rather easier to understand than my current Solwise SAR 110, which frankly is mostly gobbledegook to me! Certainly it should have a 100% complete web UI, rather than needing a serial connection to access all the commands (muppets!).

- Some wireless protocol. Whilst randomly browsing earlier I noticed that wireless is up to 108 Mbps!! :shock: That would be nice, but 54 Mbps would suffice I assume.

- At least 1 physical network port to connect to my 100Mbps switch, though being able to replace that with this router would be a bonus, especially if it's got 4 gigabit ethernet ports, that would be sweet.

- Perhaps someone could explain why I've heard people say that WEP is not secure, and what the alternative is?

A good and stable internet connection is important to me, so I'm prepared to spend the cash required, but recommendation is a very inportant factor. The Plus.net Shop has the Netgear RangeMax 108Mbps Wireless Modem/router allegedly "on offer" which seems to have everything except gigbit network, but I can live with out that.

Opinions very welcome, thanks.
9 REPLIES
N/A

cisco 877 Wink or a linksys wireless one?

WEP is insecure as you can break the wep key in about 3 mins and then just have free reign over the wireless lan you connect to, you would be better off using WPA2 which is quite secure (but still breakable) -- thats the downside of wireless, you can sit outside and get enough data to break the code.

for ya reading :

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST05-003.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2002/04/19/security.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns642/networking_solutions_customer_profile0900aecd803ee938.html
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Netgear DG834Gv2 .... absolutely perfect IMHO, and cheap now too (was £120 when I bought it a couple years or so ago, and is around £50 or so now). Also supports wireless, VPN, DHCP, has an internal firewall/modem and comes with WEP, WPA/PSK (a much more secure option compared to WEP).
N/A

If you are REALLY serious about a reliable wireless connection, forget all thoughts of *anything* sold on the High Street. Various individuals will make their own favoured suggestions, and I am no different, but the experience of 4 different makes of SOHO routers has taught me a hard lesson.

I finally got so fed up I went out and paid over double the norm, on a Draytech Vigor 2800G. The best £180 I have spent in a very long time, and I will never ever buy anything else.

It is possible to upgrade the standard-fit 3dB antennae to 5dB, which I did, and now I can still get a decent wirless signal 100 yards away! Locking down becomes kinda crucial, but the throughput and signal strength is rock solid.
N/A

Interesting reply. Why is it so much better than the rest?
N/A

Re: Suggestions for a new router

Hi all, I've had an ongoing ticket with TechSupport about repeated dropped connections, and they've finally said it must be my hardware. Whilst the fact that it worked fine for 3 years prior rather makes me suspicious of this diagnosis, the wife is chewing my ear enough for me to have to at least rule this out. We're also thinking about going wireless for the first time, and now that wireless speeds are reasonable, perhaps it's a good time.

So recommendations greatfully received, here's my criteria:

- Latest router required to support up to 24MB ADSL (ever hopeful that plus.net will eventually upgrade my current 2MB to 8MB and fingers crossed beyond in future).

- Hardware firewall a must. Preferably one that's rather easier to understand than my current Solwise SAR 110, which frankly is mostly gobbledegook to me! Certainly it should have a 100% complete web UI, rather than needing a serial connection to access all the commands (muppets!).

- Some wireless protocol. Whilst randomly browsing earlier I noticed that wireless is up to 108 Mbps!! :shock: That would be nice, but 54 Mbps would suffice I assume.

- At least 1 physical network port to connect to my 100Mbps switch, though being able to replace that with this router would be a bonus, especially if it's got 4 gigabit ethernet ports, that would be sweet.

- Perhaps someone could explain why I've heard people say that WEP is not secure, and what the alternative is?

A good and stable internet connection is important to me, so I'm prepared to spend the cash required, but recommendation is a very inportant factor. The Plus.net Shop has the Netgear RangeMax 108Mbps Wireless Modem/router allegedly "on offer" which seems to have everything except gigbit network, but I can live with out that.

Opinions very welcome, thanks.

I have the exact same router and i too suffer dropped connections, sometimes worse days than others and have been thinking of a new router so will monitor this thread closely Cheesy
Nocturne
Grafter

You might consider a router which allows you to set the SNM or better still the maximum Sync Speed.

On MaxDsl it can be desirable for you to raise the SNM or limit the max speed and thereby reduce disconnections.

BT can raise your Target SNM, or not, but this can be excessive and arbitrary so it can be beneficial to control it yourself.

The routers which allow you to set the max sync are arguably better.
By trial and error you determine the maximum speed you can sync at without losing sync.

It doesn't matter thereafter what the SNM is when you power up because your speed cannot exceed what you have determined is a 'safe' value.
You can set the speed to precisely match a Bras value rather than sync higher, with a lower SNM, to no advantage.

The Belkin 7633 I believe offers the SNM option but not max speed.
It does give the option with ADSL2+, it would appear, of Seamless Rate Adaption so that your sync speed can change without losing connection.
I simply mention that unit because if you really want to try and future proof things there are some sophisticated routers out there.

I'm not sure which routers offer the max speed option but they are available.

Sadly my Router has none of these options.
N/A

Thanks for the interesting reply johnbrown, however I have no idea what most of what you said means, what's SNM for example?

Never mind. Once upon a time I used to get excited about this sort of stuff and would take hours / evenings / days reading up on all the latest tech to understand it and buy the best thing. Now as I get older however, I find that I just want to plug something in, follow a Wizard if I have to, but basically just have the thing work. My current SAR110 for example has at least a hundred different settings and I know how only about 5 of them work!
N/A

get a cisco 877! tis amazing! and really easy to setup.
Nocturne
Grafter

If BT have provided a 2 MB connection then the line conditions at the time must have been acceptable and any decent router should suffice unless your 'line' has deteriorated.

I'm not familiar with the SAR 110 but I wouldn't have thought its that old so unless it is starting to act up a new unit may not help. You might try to borrow a router and see if your problems continue.

With a new/modern router if you still have problems with disconnections then you would be well advised to think very carefully before upgrading to 8 MB because your current problems are likely to pale into total insignificance.

I have a router which worked fine on 2 Mb.
I just plugged it in, left it powered up for months on end and forgot about it which suited me fine.
With MaxDsl the disconnections and problems began and I had no choice but to do a lot of homework.

Sadly if you have problems there isn't necessarily an easy solution where you simply plug it in and forget it irrespective of how much money you are willing to spend.

You need a very large number of router recommendations, which I would suggest you will not get, before you can draw any meaningful conclusion.
It can otherwise be rather like asking people what their favourite colour is and equally as meaningful.

Ideally there would be one or two obvious recommendations but I would suggest that is not the case with routers.

SNR is the Ratio of Signal [wanted] to Noise [unwanted] expressed in db.
SNM is Signal to Noise Margin

Good Luck