cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden increase of line noise :(

N/A

my ADSL line has never had particually good line stats, but in the past week i've noticed a sudden increase.

Here is what they're like now:

the 'attenuation' increased from an average 48-49dB to around 52dB
and the 'Noise Margin' has dropped from an average of 12dB to anything between 6.8-8.3dB, I've even seen it go as low as 5.8dB
it's also dropped and reconnected the line 8 times in the past 4 days, which is not good at all Sad

I've not changed any equipment at my end, so i see no reason for it degrading like this.

on a slightly related note, can i ask BT to move my phone line to a different exchange?
I'm currently connected to the main Crawley exchange (approx 2 miles away as the crow flies) but my friend who lives only two streets away is connected to the Pound Hill smaller sub-exchange (which has to be less than a mile from my house, as i also live in the Pound Hill area of Crawley) and he has access to full 2mb services.
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The change in line loss and SNR could be down to a number of factors with anything from a change in the weather to a line fault.
The best thing to do is rule out anything on your line such as phones, faulty filters, etc.
Unfortunately it is unlikely that BT will be able to re-route the line if the service is working. Appropriate line plan and routing may not even exist to the other exchange from your property for starters.
Community Veteran

Sometimes powering off the router for a few minutes then powering on again may result in the figures returning to normal. Try it and see.
N/A

Router with a PCI modem :?:
Community Veteran

Power the PC off then Wink

Or try a different filter.
N/A

Such large differences in upstream and downstream figures point to a fault in wiring. The high error count also substantiates this.

The downstream signal of DSL is the higher frequency and generally suffers more from attenuation of long line lengths than the upstream signal. However, there is nearly always a correlation between the two.

Plug directly into the master socket and recheck the figures to see if there is any difference.

If the figures are back good (low attenuation and high SNR) then your internal wiring/filters are at fault.
1/ Unplug all connections and replace them a few times to ensure a good connection.
2/ Replace all DSL filters (they could be grounding the higher frequencies via a faulty filter network.
3/ Try relacing the extension wiring.

If the figures are still bad, raise a ticket to have a line check.

[/img]