cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden increase in speed

N/A

Sudden increase in speed

I noticed this morning my speed drop from 2m to 1m, I switched my Netgear router off for advised 15 mins, I now have speeds up to 4m on speed test websites, and it is noticeably faster.However, my router stats still say;
DownStream Connection Speed 4992 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
previously the downstream was around 6000kbps, why is this? Does anyone know?
Cheers.
4 REPLIES
Merlin
Grafter

Sudden increase in speed

Speed test sites generally check the speed by timing the downloading of a small file. This data speed is different from the headline speed due to various the overheads which are necessary to achieve the connection. Also firewalls etc can affect download speeds.
N/A

Sudden increase in speed

It is definitely faster than it was before, I have tried various speed tests and without a firewall, so I don't know what the explanation is.
geoffers
Grafter

Sudden increase in speed

Have a look at my post on this http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46501
Even though your router is reporting a good synch rate, what you get is what has been determined by the dslMax automatic checking at the exchange.

I was having speed problems due to a poor line and lots of disconnects, and my BRAS profile got set to 0.5meg. even though my router often synched at 4.5 meg.

I got my line fixed and the router reports even better sync around 5.5meg. I turn the router off overnight, then on first thing in the morning (when there seems to be better synch anyway, presumably due to less contention) which gets the Bras profile to automatically update if the the line connects at a better rate consistently over 3 days.

Cheers, G
N/A

Sudden increase in speed

Thanks, I am trying the router shutdown now, but I notice I am still getting some disconnections, and one while I was actually on the net, usually they have happened while the mac was asleep. I do hope things get better.