cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden & prolonged reduction in speed of 2mb connection.

Philbert
Grafter

Only recently upgraded to 2mb connection and have been giving it a bit of a hammering Cheesy

For the last 24 hours or so the d/l speed has gone down to sub-512kb speeds. My own metering sugests around 55kb/s, ADSL Guide's speed test puts it at around 50kb/s (Plusnet's own speed test twice rated it 0kb).

I've rebooted my router but can't find any reason this end: Downstream is still showing as 2272 Kb/s. Anyone any ideas? Is this a weekend thing or something I should know all about?
3 REPLIES
N/A

is this normal?

My ' ADSL Home 2Mb Premier' account was just activated.. and the speed between midday and 10pm on Saturday was worse than a 56k modem :/ . Actual download speeds were about 1kb/sec for most of the evening.

My exchange is Woking, which currently has a 'green' result in the Exchange Status Checker.

Here are some speed-test results from Saturday (averaged over multiple tests).

04/06/05 - 14.00
PlusNet Speed Tester - ~50kbps
BT Speed Tester - 0kbps (timed out)

04/06/05 - 22.00
PlusNet Speed Tester - ~100kbps
BT Speed Tester - 0kbps (timed out)

05/06/05 - 00.00
PlusNet Speed Tester - ~500kbps

05/06/05 - 04.00
PlusNet Speed Tester - ~1500kbps
BT Speed Tester - 407kbps
Philbert
Grafter

When my upgrade went through I ended up phoning cust/tech support several times to get things sorted out.
First of all there was a delay from BT not informing Plusnet that the line had been upgraded. Then it turned out it needed manager's intervention to migrate from a business to residential account - though one or two support staff seemed unaware of this. Then it needed 'unthrottling', i.e. the cap on the data transfer limits needed to be raised.
It's frustrating that it seemed to require personal intervention on the phone to get each stage progressed, rather than someone actually making sure the whole deal was sorted out. I assume each stage has some interval before resettings take effect, during which time support staff are 'distracted' by the next support request.
Just keep plugging away. At no time did any Plusnet staff come across as other than polite and willing to help. Just don't assume they'll complete the whole all-that's-necessary task.
FireStorm
Grafter

I would suggest that the uptake on your exchange might be higher than BT had planned for or maybe you are now on a rate adaptive setup and your line is noisy, A Whoosh test, or maybe your router would discover any problems with the line.