cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Restart on ADSL

N/A

Sudden Restart on ADSL

Hi
I am really happy with my broadband connection itself, but am a little annoyed at my computer, and was wondering if anyone could offer me help. My Problem is that when im connected to ADSL, the Computer restarts at random intervals. I have had this problem since the beggining of my connection. At first i had Win XP. It was really bizarre, because the shutdowns are truly random. Might be 30 seconds might be 3 hours. Usually less than an hour. So, im surfing the internet, and downloading on kazaa. Suddenly, the computer appears to reset itself without warning, doing exactly the same thing as presssing the reset button. When it loads up it tells me that my system files are corrupt. But then if i leave it off for more than 10 mins it loads XP as normal. That was baffling. My first thought was that it was kazaa so i uninstalled it, but the same thing happened. Then i thought, that the CPU fan must not be spinning, but it was. Then i thought it was the fault of XP, so after backing up my hard drive, i formatted my hard disk, and installed Win 98. Installed the modem driver and connect. After a few hours i was confident i'd fixed the problem, but then it restarted again, but this time it just loaded 98 as normal. No warnings at all, or error messages when i start. Now that only leaves me with hardware conflicts. I removed every piece of hardware out of my computer, and then put in only the basics. I formatted the hard drive, and installed windows 98 again, resetting all bios setting to factory default. Running 98 it runs fine for hours so i decide that my PC is OK. So i connect the modem, and connect to adsl. Again it restarts. I downloaded bios updates as im using onboard USB. Made no difference. I tries a different graphics card and it still didnt work. I downloaded all available updates for 98, and all the latest drivers for all my hardware. Still it restarts. And now im here. The modem works on my laptop fine. Am i going to have to buy a new modem? Ive written alot now, so ill leave you with some info on my comp if that will help anyone help me :-)

ECS Mainboard P6BAP - Me
Celeron 566
16MB Nvidia TNT2
Standard 14.3 GB IDE Hard drive
64MB (I need more!!!)PC100 RAM
Pioneer DVR - 103 (removed)
Hitachi basic DVD
On board sound
Pinnacle PCTV Rave (removed)
5.1 sound card (removed)

I will try to respond to any questions you want to ask me ASAP

Thanks For Your help

Andrew Lodge
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,983
Thanks: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

> Hi
> I am really happy with my broadband connection itself, but am a little annoyed at my computer, and was wondering if anyone could offer me help. My Problem is that when im connected to ADSL, the Computer restarts at random intervals. I have had this problem since the beggining of my connection. At first i had Win XP. It was really bizarre, because the shutdowns are truly random. Might be 30 seconds might be 3 hours. Usually less than an hour. So, im surfing the internet, and downloading on kazaa. Suddenly, the computer appears to reset itself without warning, doing exactly the same thing as presssing the reset button. When it loads up it tells me that my system files are corrupt. But then if i leave it off for more than 10 mins it loads XP as normal. That was baffling. My first thought was that it was kazaa so i uninstalled it, but the same thing happened. Then i thought, that the CPU fan must not be spinning, but it was. Then i thought it was the fault of XP, so after backing up my hard drive, i formatted my hard disk, and installed Win 98. Installed the modem driver and connect. After a few hours i was confident i'd fixed the problem, but then it restarted again, but this time it just loaded 98 as normal. No warnings at all, or error messages when i start. Now that only leaves me with hardware conflicts. I removed every piece of hardware out of my computer, and then put in only the basics. I formatted the hard drive, and installed windows 98 again, resetting all bios setting to factory default. Running 98 it runs fine for hours so i decide that my PC is OK. So i connect the modem, and connect to adsl. Again it restarts. I downloaded bios updates as im using onboard USB. Made no difference. I tries a different graphics card and it still didnt work. I downloaded all available updates for 98, and all the latest drivers for all my hardware. Still it restarts. And now im here. The modem works on my laptop fine. Am i going to have to buy a new modem? Ive written alot now, so ill leave you with some info on my comp if that will help anyone help me :-)
>
> ECS Mainboard P6BAP - Me
> Celeron 566
> 16MB Nvidia TNT2
> Standard 14.3 GB IDE Hard drive
> 64MB (I need more!!!)PC100 RAM
> Pioneer DVR - 103 (removed)
> Hitachi basic DVD
> On board sound
> Pinnacle PCTV Rave (removed)
> 5.1 sound card (removed)
>
> I will try to respond to any questions you want to ask me ASAP
>
> Thanks For Your help
>
> Andrew Lodge

I thought that I was one for trying to get to the bottom of a problem but you have me beat.
I would have chucked the PC in the tip by now!!.

Seriously though where does your ADSL modem get its power from?
Could be that it's just taking a tad too much from the PC if that's where its fed from.

Also may be worth trying a new power supply on the PC itself. I have known them be near the limits with Athlon PC but not with the Celeron, always a first time though and the modem might just be the straw that breaks it.

Also can you borrow a modem from someone to try and see if your pc is happier with that rather than your existing which as you say works ok in the laptop?.

If you are located anywhere near me (Heywood Lancs) then I have a spare which you could try.

Can't think of anything else that you have not tried.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,983
Thanks: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

> > Hi
> > I am really happy with my broadband connection itself, but am a little annoyed at my computer, and was wondering if anyone could offer me help. My Problem is that when im connected to ADSL, the Computer restarts at random intervals. I have had this problem since the beggining of my connection. At first i had Win XP. It was really bizarre, because the shutdowns are truly random. Might be 30 seconds might be 3 hours. Usually less than an hour. So, im surfing the internet, and downloading on kazaa. Suddenly, the computer appears to reset itself without warning, doing exactly the same thing as presssing the reset button. When it loads up it tells me that my system files are corrupt. But then if i leave it off for more than 10 mins it loads XP as normal. That was baffling. My first thought was that it was kazaa so i uninstalled it, but the same thing happened. Then i thought, that the CPU fan must not be spinning, but it was. Then i thought it was the fault of XP, so after backing up my hard drive, i formatted my hard disk, and installed Win 98. Installed the modem driver and connect. After a few hours i was confident i'd fixed the problem, but then it restarted again, but this time it just loaded 98 as normal. No warnings at all, or error messages when i start. Now that only leaves me with hardware conflicts. I removed every piece of hardware out of my computer, and then put in only the basics. I formatted the hard drive, and installed windows 98 again, resetting all bios setting to factory default. Running 98 it runs fine for hours so i decide that my PC is OK. So i connect the modem, and connect to adsl. Again it restarts. I downloaded bios updates as im using onboard USB. Made no difference. I tries a different graphics card and it still didnt work. I downloaded all available updates for 98, and all the latest drivers for all my hardware. Still it restarts. And now im here. The modem works on my laptop fine. Am i going to have to buy a new modem? Ive written alot now, so ill leave you with some info on my comp if that will help anyone help me :-)
> >
> > ECS Mainboard P6BAP - Me
> > Celeron 566
> > 16MB Nvidia TNT2
> > Standard 14.3 GB IDE Hard drive
> > 64MB (I need more!!!)PC100 RAM
> > Pioneer DVR - 103 (removed)
> > Hitachi basic DVD
> > On board sound
> > Pinnacle PCTV Rave (removed)
> > 5.1 sound card (removed)
> >
> > I will try to respond to any questions you want to ask me ASAP
> >
> > Thanks For Your help
> >
> > Andrew Lodge
>
> I thought that I was one for trying to get to the bottom of a problem but you have me beat.
> I would have chucked the PC in the tip by now!!.
>
> Seriously though where does your ADSL modem get its power from?
> Could be that it's just taking a tad too much from the PC if that's where its fed from.
>
> Also may be worth trying a new power supply on the PC itself. I have known them be near the limits with Athlon PC but not with the Celeron, always a first time though and the modem might just be the straw that breaks it.
>
> Also can you borrow a modem from someone to try and see if your pc is happier with that rather than your existing which as you say works ok in the laptop?.
>
> If you are located anywhere near me (Heywood Lancs) then I have a spare which you could try.
>
> Can't think of anything else that you have not tried.
>
> --
> Regards
> John
> http://www.hmrg.co.uk


Andrew
I have thought of somthing else you may try. that is the memory in the pc. I have had this on one of my customers machines where it did this resetting but only when a certain bit of the memory waas being used by his software.
There is a bit of software you can download that will run a thorough test on your memory.
Cant recall the site but the a serarch for simmtester or memory tester should find it.
the actual program is called Doc Memory so I suppose a search for that would also find it.
If you can't find it I can mail you a copy. It fits on and runs from a floppy so its not that big.
If you can't find it then

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

Dear Andrew,
I have had similar problems with a customers machine that was using an Intel USB ADSL Modem. After trying various things and I was still unable to solve the problem, until somebody suggested to me that I should try a powered USB Hub, since installing this, everything has worked fine. Please note it has to be a powered USB Hub i.e. one with a seperate power adaptor.
Please do not hesitate to email me @ <removed> if you require further help.
Kind Regards,
<removed>
N/A

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

Hi John
I just downloaded DocMemory, and ran it. After 6 Tests all had passed, and none had failed in any of the aspects of the diagnostic. I am unable to test the PSU, as i have only the one desktop computer. What I will do is remove both DVD drives and see if i can muster up any more power. I cant see it being power as a factor because the modem, (dynamode a360) is only 500mA 5Vdc, and is powered off the USB. The PSU i am using is 200Watt, but other than that thats all i know about it. 200watt, should be enough for a celeron 566, with minimal hardware. I could try underclocking it. There are no USB device connected either, and im not using a hub. Also it work fine when im not connected to the internet, just when im connected. Its really puzzling as im usually the one fixing my friends and family's computers, but this just doesnt make sense. Another thing thats weird is that in XP, if there is a hardware fault and the PC is reset/restarted by itself, then when you load up afterward, it tells you the piece of hardware that caused the fault. Is there way to log all the actions of my computer so as i can pinpoint the fault.
Thanks for your help so far :-)
Andrew
N/A

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

> Dear Andrew,
>
> I have had similar problems with a customers machine that was using an Intel USB ADSL Modem. After trying various things and I was still unable to solve the problem, until somebody suggested to me that I should try a powered USB Hub, since installing this, everything has worked fine. Please note it has to be a powered USB Hub i.e. one with a seperate power adaptor.
>
> Please do not hesitate to email me @ <removed> if you require further help.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> <removed>
The new adsl modem drivers sorts that problem out..
You can get tem here   http://www.adsldrivers.co.uk/
N/A

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL


>
> The new adsl modem drivers sorts that problem out..
>
> You can get tem here http://www.adsldrivers.co.uk/

Hi
when I looked on that site, there were only drivers for the Speedtouch modem. The modem which i have is the Dynamode A360 ADSL Modem. Does anyone know of any updated drivers for this modem?

Thanks
Andrew

N/A

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

N/A

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

You can stop XP from restarting due to a fault by right clicking My Computer, selecting properties. Then select Advanced tab. In the Start up and Recovery section, select settings. Uncheck Automatically Restart and Ok everything.

Now all that will happen is an error report so you can see what is actually causing the fault.

Hope this helps

Matt
N/A

RE: Sudden Restart on ADSL

>
> >
> > The new adsl modem drivers sorts that problem out..
> >
> > You can get tem here http://www.adsldrivers.co.uk/
>
> Hi
> when I looked on that site, there were only drivers for the Speedtouch modem. The modem which i have is the Dynamode A360 ADSL Modem. Does anyone know of any updated drivers for this modem?
>
> Thanks
> Andrew
----------------------------------
Andrew,
there are no new drivers for the A360,I use the same one.
The drivers on any site are all the same and as on the cd.
Turn of power saving in the usb settings in windows(XP)