cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subnet mask

brianhig

Subnet mask

Can qnyone explain how the subnet masking works with ADSL. I have been told that my subnet mask is 255.255.255.255

I was always under the impression that the subnet mask masks out the network number and the remainder is host address on the subnet. If my subnet mask masks out all bits of my IP address, where is my host number?

Confused, you should be.

Brian
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Subnet mask

I have a feeling it should be 255.255.255.252 as this would leave your 4 address subnet unmasked.

> Can qnyone explain how the subnet masking works with ADSL. I have been told that my subnet mask is 255.255.255.255
>
> I was always under the impression that the subnet mask masks out the network number and the remainder is host address on the subnet. If my subnet mask masks out all bits of my IP address, where is my host number?
>
> Confused, you should be.
> Brian

brianhig

Yes, I thought it should be that as well. I was always under the impression that the maximum number of bits that could be borrowed was 6 for class C (cannot use 0 or 1 as these are network/broadcast addresses). Still confused. Can anyone help?
N/A

Go to http://www.boson.com/promo/utilities.htm#utilities they have a free util which works out the subnet for you.

Shocked
> Can qnyone explain how the subnet masking works with ADSL. I have been told that my subnet mask is 255.255.255.255
>
> I was always under the impression that the subnet mask masks out the network number and the remainder is host address on the subnet. If my subnet mask masks out all bits of my IP address, where is my host number?
>
> Confused, you should be.
>
> Brian