cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid question: bandwidth

N/A

Ok, I'm havinga bit of a mental block here!

I'm currently on 512k Premier with plusnet. But i notice I 'only' use between 2-3gb per month (sometimes less) in bandwidth.

So for a similar cost per month, I could be on 2mb Lite with 6gb pre-pay. (for a comfort zone)

My question is, If I change, my bandwidth will stay roughly the same, even though I will download it faster - correct?

Ie Downloading a 20mb file uses the same bandwidth whether I can do it in 15 minutes or 5 minutes?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Correct.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Correct.

Well...actually...incorrect.

Bandwidth refers to the speed of the connection - how much data can be transferred within a time period. So a 2Mbps service has 4 times the downstream bandwidth of a 512Kbps service.

Ie Downloading a 20mb file uses the same bandwidth whether I can do it in 15 minutes or 5 minutes?

Nope. 20Mb refers to the transfer volume - the amount of data you are transferring rather than the speed at which is is transferred.

What you elude to is correct, increasing bandwidth allows you to transfer more in the same time period, but you do not have to. However you are using the wrong terminology...and I am being a little pedantic today. Smiley
N/A

If we're being pedantic then you should have said "allude" instead of "elude".

Cheesy
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Shockedops: Thank you for pointing that out.
I suspect English has become my second language after telecomms Cheesy