cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange problem

N/A

Strange problem

for some strange reason every so often (say once every half hour) a strange thing happens - its almost as i broadband disconnects - i get 0 bandwidth and cannot load webpages etc - after a while my bandwidth comes back up - but this problem means i cannot download large files or play online games. i dont think its a problem with plusnet as nobody else has reported it - im using a netgear dm602 broadband modem with the latest firmware, and a linksys broadband-b wireless router - although the computer i mainly use is conected to it via cat5 cable rather than wirelessly - the operating system i use is debian linux and i havent tested this with windows - does anybody know of a way for me to narrow down the options (ie to be sure its my computers fualt)?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Strange problem

Have you checked the logs in the router?
N/A

Strange problem

no, i didnt think of that - logging is disabled - ive enabled it now - what do i put for the logveiwer IP?
N/A

Strange problem

nothing seems to be apearing in my logs - im guessing because i dont use the router as a dhcp server - my network uses static IPs, with the gateway IP configured as the modem, also my modem is pluged in to the socket specified on the router for the internet as i couldnt seem to access it that way
Community Veteran

Strange problem

Well, as you have not given any info on the router you have (make/model etc) it will be difficult to advise what you need to do.

It also depends on the equipment as to what the logs actually record, however not running DHCP and using static IPs will have nothing to do with you not seeing any log events. I suggest you read your manual which should explian what to do.

Also it is actually the ADSL side or the router that is important for your problem - i.e to determin if your connection is dropping out, although as you have a separate ADSL modem the router logs may npt actually record anything related to that. Does the ADSL modem have any logging capabilities as that is where your problem may be recorded.
N/A

Strange problem

the linksys router is a befw11s4 broadband-b wireless router. very strange - whilst trying to access the modem to check its logs, i typed in its address on the network into my browser, the password prompt came up as usual - i typed in the password - but then the modems configuration pages didnt load at all (i waited a few minutes) - at this point i could ping the modem fine and get on the net fine, and it wasnt the routers fault as i was directly conected to the modem, having detached the router from the network temporarily.
N/A

Strange problem

having turned my router off and back on again i can now get into the configuration pages. it has an alarm logs section and the log looks like this:

Thu Jan 08 16:16:34 1970 : WARNING : ATM VC Congested : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Thu Jan 08 16:15:58 1970 : WARNING : ATM VC Congested : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Thu Jan 08 16:14:54 1970 : WARNING : ATM VC Congested : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Thu Jan 08 16:12:19 1970 : STATUS ALARM : PPP Interface Up : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Jan 08 16:12:19 1970 : STATUS ALARM: PPP Authorization Successful : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Jan 08 16:12:15 1970 : STATUS ALARM : PPPoE Up : Interface - ppp-0
Thu Jan 08 16:12:14 1970 : STATUS ALARM : ATM VC Up : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Thu Jan 08 16:12:14 1970 : STATUS ALARM : ATM Interface Up : Interface - atm-0
Thu Jan 08 16:12:14 1970 : STATUS ALARM : DSL Interface Up
Thu Jan 08 16:12:01 1970 : STATUS ALARM : System Up

it has no other logs
N/A

Strange problem

connected directly to the net without the router i still get the original problem, so presumably it isnt the router thats at fault
N/A

Strange problem

googling around i found this which is quite similar to my problem:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?s=767098f9a2c100de52a9aba4ccf35499&showtopic=12295&st=0&#entry113413

and also found this:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=213245

but the firmware mentioned in this isnt on the site

Moderators note (John) duplicate post removed.
N/A

Strange problem

I get the same thing kind of. I loose Bandwith without disconnecting for a while. Everything using internet conecction d/c's. And if i dissconnect i cant get back on for 12 hours sometimes. Just says remote puter not responding. Had it looked at but BT say line is fine so gotta do tests when it happens again.
pebbles
Grafter

Strange problem

a customer of mine is getting the same problem and has for a few weeks, so I swopped out his dlink504 for a netgear router and the same problem persists with both devices, just random drop outs.

wonder if its a bt problem?
Highlighted
N/A

Strange problem

6 weeks and climbing here with that very problem but neither bt or plusnet seems to know whats wrong.......it kills me in the middle of gaming......now the other players are thinking of renaming me ;(=) droppy.....hehehhe