cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange SNR readings

N/A

Strange SNR readings

Hi,

BT activated my line this afternoon (Plusnet have not enabled my account yet) so I decided to check my line condition on my router and it reported the following
Down / UP
Link speed 2272kbps / 288kbps
SNR 17.5dB
Atten 10dB / 5dB

I was just curious because I thought the SNR ratio would be much higher than that and I could not see my plusnet account not being activated making any difference. Am I right?

Regards,
Rob

P.S. Incidentally when should I expect plusnet to activate the ADSL account it's kind of frustrating having my router synced at 2mb but having to use my 56k still?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Strange SNR readings

The SNR reading you are seeing, are quite normal and nothing to worry about. The SNR is well above the threshold for instability.

As for account activation. provided BT have fully completed the parts on there side, you should be able to attempt connection. After 30 mins, plusNets auto-activation script should see these attempts and activate the account for you.

Make sure you are using the correct login details (username@plusdsl.net or username@plus.net - You should have been informed of which is it already) and your account password.
N/A

Strange SNR readings

Thanks for the info when I try to login my router just reports Auth. failed. I will leave it till tomorrow lunch time if I have not heard by then I will give plusnet a call.

The ADSL tracker still says awaiting activation with BT. My guess is BT have not told plusnet my line is actvated yet.

Rob.
N/A

Strange SNR readings

PlusNet poll BT twice per day, to find out which accounts have compelted and failed there activations.

It is only at these times, will PlusNet know if BT claim to have finished the work.

Seeign auth failures is normal until activation is fully complete. As noted, provided the BT side of things has been completed, PlusNet systems should detect these auth failures and activate you shortly after (provided the failed auth is with the correct username and password).
N/A

Strange SNR readings

Well it's been 24 hours since my modem synced I am able to login with both the bt_test@startup_domain and bt_test_user@plusdsl.net.

I have tried both @plusdsl.net and @plus.net logins but no luck so unless I am using the wrong password i guess there must be a problem at the plusnet end?
N/A

Strange SNR readings

What does your ADSL Tracker show?

If it doesn't show as enabled, your best bet is to phone support.

State that the bt_test-user@plusdsl.net login works fine, but your own one doesn't.

They should be able to advise you from there.
N/A

Strange SNR readings

I opened a ticket with them and they manually enabled it all up and running now

Speed test off ADSLguide comes back as follows

Downstream 1838 Kbps (229.8 KB/sec) 1985 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Is this ok?
N/A

Strange SNR readings

They are near perfect speeds.

You should smile with those Cheesy