cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Problem (Needs a kick)

N/A

I seem to have a weird problem that's developed all on its own recently, at first my connection would drop out completely (although the router stayed in sync) for around ten minutes and then suddenly come back on.

Since then, I have to keep prompting the connection as it were - let say I click on a link, and the gren bar at the bottom of IE might take ages to load, if I go back and try once or twice the page loads instantly. Perhaps a better example would be my download manager - download starts at 50+kbps for around 4 seconds, then freezes at say 40kbps with the download stuck. If I pause it and then resume, it does another 1% to 3% but then freezes again.

Yeah, I've restarted equipment etc..nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? Help appreciated.

Owem

Moderators note (John) Title altered to remove the [Censored] remark.
Also 3 additional duplicate copies of this post removed
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Does your router have an "Idle time out" setting in its configuration options.
If so is it set to zero which it needs to be to prevent the router from losing its link after a period of inactivity.
N/A

aha

There's a 'keep alive' box, and a 'MAX Fail' box. There's also an MRU box under it set to 1500 (is this the same as MTU)?

Thanks

Owen
Community Veteran

Im not familier with the descriptions of the boxes you are naming here, can you say what type of router this is?
Given that information there may be someone on the forums who uses the same type and can give you a proper answer.
N/A

Hmmm

It's a D-Link 504T. I've had a look at previous posts (and screenshots) of the earlier 504 model and it seems they've changed everything including the names of different settings. I'll see what the manual says.

Owen
Community Veteran

MRU = Max Receive Unit, the opposite of MTU which is Max transmission unit.

In most cases, they should be set the same.
Community Veteran

Re: Hmmm

It's a D-Link 504T

I have the earlier verson of the 504 and it doesn't have the boxes you mention so as you say it looks like they have changed a lot of things.
N/A

Aha!!

I've just updated the firmware and all of sudden MTU and Idle Timeout have appeared! Idle timeout is greyed out however...things seem to be running as normal since I've updated, although I don't know how well it'll last. I'll let you know what happens.

Owen
N/A

well...

it was ok until last night, but now the same problem. I could not get any connection at all until I turned off and turned on the router. In connection setting of the router, there are the following:

Encapsulation (LLC or VC) - set to VC

Username

Password

Idle Timeout (which is greyed out but set to 60)

Keep alive (set to 10 mins)

MAX Fail - set to 10 times

MTU - 1400

MRU - 1492

then two tick boxes Set Route and On Demand, Set route is currently ticked. If I tick On Demand, the Idle Timout becomes editable and Keep Alive becomes greyed out.

I guess I need to know whether the router can stay in synch, but still lose its connection?

Any help appreciated

Owen
Community Veteran

Tick the on demand and then set the Idle timeout to zero and see if that helps it to become more stable.
Community Veteran

Also your MTU is a bit low. You may need to experiment to find the best settings to gain your fastest ADSL speed but try setting it and MRU to 1478 and your PC's MTU to 1478 and RWIN to 17256. That is what gives me the best speed, but each connection is different.
N/A

Very Strange

Well things have taken a further twist. Just now I was not able to connect to my router (http://192.168.1.1. etc) which suggests a fault with the router as one should be able to do this regardless of whether a net connection is present. I think a phone call to D-Link is in order...it's either that or Windows is not picking something up....ah I dunno..

Owen
N/A

Owen,

I have DSL-504T as well and have been experiencing problem where the router is initiating auto reconenction. The log shows that the DSL carrie ris down, folowed by reconnect request. I have so far not found out why this is happening and was wondering if your problem is the same or similar.

Mahesh

Moderators note (John) Duplicate post removed
Community Veteran

I assume you are using DHCP on the router to allocate the IP address for your PC. If so, what IP address have you been allocated. If it's not 192.168.1.X then you won't be able to connect to the router as you are on a different network. If Windows cannot connect to the router it allocates it's own IP address starting 169.X.X.X I think.

A reboot of both router (1st) and PC (2nd) may be necessary.
N/A

DHCP and other things

I phoned D Link and they suggested changed the modulation type to GDMT and also lower the MTU to 1300 (which I thought was most strange). Anyway, it's back up and seems ok although I'll see how it goes.

As for DHCP, it's set to Enable DHCP server:

Start IP: 192.168.1.2
End IP: 192.168.1.254
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Lease time: 3600