cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Max

N/A

Strange Max

This is the first day that I am upgraded to "up to 8Mb". Exciting, I thought, but things are strange - unexpected at least and confusing.

My connection icon says that I am connected at 7.6 Mbps. I am, however, only getting around 2 Mbps actual download speeds, exactly the same as before.

I checked my line with the BT Broadband checker and it says that I should be able to get up to 8 Mbps, whereas the Plusnet highspeed test quotes 2 Mbps.

Am I missing something?

Wolf
3 REPLIES
N/A

Strange Max

You'll stay at 2 mb/s for the first three days at least. On M<ax you get a BRAS profile, which limits your sync speed.
If you are syncing at 7.6 mb/s and can keep at that kind of speed for 3 days, that will be your BRAS profile. One low sync and your speed is dropped.

If you are still held ay 2 mb after 10 days, asl CS to raise a fault about a stuck BRAS profile.
ady
Grafter

Strange Max

4 weeks and im still stuck on 500kb bras profile

connecting at 1.4-1.6mb everyday for last 3-4 weeks

raised ticket, they just tell me to reconnect once a day for 3 days. which i have been doing

wtf is up, ahh and alos my SNR is 15 which is quite high isnt it
N/A

Strange Max

Your SNR is high, unless you can hit your exchange by throwing a stone from your garden.

If you've been syncing all the time at above 1152 kb/s, never a single resync below that, then you should report a stuck BRAS profile.

But with an SNR that high, assuming your not a few hundred yards from your exchange, it's probably that high because you had a lot of instability in the past. If you have one low resync your BRAS rate will drop and it takes 3 days of continuously syncing above 1152 kb/s for you to get a 1 MB BRAS.

If you've held a connection above that speed all the time, you need to raise a ticket.