cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Broadband things going on...help..

N/A

Hi,

Recently just checked to see if I could have 8mbps on my phone line as speeds with PlusNet are constantly deteriating on my 2mbps connection.

I was shocked when I found that BT told me this:

Our initial test on your postcode indicates that you should be able to get Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb, which is up to 20 times faster than dial-up. At the moment, your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed broadband package. Also, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required to set up your broadband service. For a more accurate result please check again using your telephone number.

when before I ordered with PlusNet I quite clearly remember it saying I could have 2mb.

Is/Has anyone else had this strange problem? I asked my friend up the road and it says the same for his 2mb BT broadband connection (which he gets for free...grrr), his broadband is still nice and speedy though.

Cheers, Tom
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi

Can you post the stats from your modem / router?

The database has been known to be wrong in the past. There is also the possibility that you have been wrongly provisioned at 2mb by BT.

As for the 8mb speeds. Unless you are switching to a LLU provider, these speeds, from BT supplied products, are still some way off. Latest info suggests April 2006 before we see a full rollout and even then, rural or remote areas may have an even longer wait.
N/A

My router is pants and doesn't actually tell me what speed I'm connected at. It's Belkin :roll: Think I need to update my routers firmware...

as for the 8mb speeds. My friend whom lives about 20 mins away is already speeding away on 6mbps!!

what stats do you need from my router?
N/A

I need figures similar in layout to these

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 16 db 3 db
Noise Margin 31 db 29 db

Your friend on 6mb is either lucky enough to be on the BT trial or a LLU or Cable customer. Lucky him.
N/A

Is there anyway I can get this information without having to look on my router? (just tried updating the firmware and it's literally done nothing that I can see). My router gives me none of that information at all.

My friends with Bulldog...so I'm not sure what it is.....apparently, not very good, but my friends had no complaints.
N/A

Short of borrowing a router the only other way is to ask Plus Net to run a woosh test.

However the CSC is under pressure at the moment and may not be as willing to do such a favour at the minute. It is strictly a fault diagnostic tool.

Just re read the BT checker result and noticed that it was a post code check.

Run a check using your phone number and let us know what that says.
N/A

says the exact same :

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to get Broadband from BT with speeds up to 1Mb, which is up to 20 times faster than dial-up. At the moment, your telephone line is unable to support our 2Mb speed broadband package. Also, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required to set up your broadband service.

for my phone number too!

I'd like to point out that for the first month of having PlusNet all was fine...then I got disconnected because I had apparently ordered my Broadband connection on the old tennants line, (I recently moved house, and ordered broadband so it would be ready for when I moved in...big mistake) I had to pay about £60 to get reactivated and since then the speed has been shabby.

I raised a ticket with PN and told them it was below the normal speeds. They told me to do numerous BT speed tests, which I did...they then asked me to do some more, which I found tedious, and did not do, and just told PN the problem was over.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Premium package as the contention ratio is lower and I'm thinking this might help...any thoughts?